CBS' NFL Coverage

robbman21

This has been bothering me for the last few seasons,and now finally maybe I can see if anyone else has the problems I've been having.Does anyone else have problems with CBS' regional NFL coverage??What I mean is this:I live in South Arkansas,and the closest AFC team to me if Houston,and then Tennessee.Shouldnt I see their games every week if they are covered by CBS?I live 5 1/2 hours from New Orleans and see them every Sunday on either Fox OR CBS if they are on those networks.Dallas is second-at 6 hours away-and as long as they play opposite the Saints then that is who I see.Houston is 7 hours away and when NBC had the AFC I saw them every week.When they moved to Tennessee NBC had one more season of broadcast rights and I still saw the Oilers every game.If there was an NBC double-header I just saw the nationally televised game....same goes for Fox.Now,starting in 1998 the first game my area saw on CBS was the Ravens and Steelers.What??In the 6+ seasons since I see Tennessee the majority of the time but that is still split among them,Houston,Dallas and New Orleans when they are on CBS,and......the Indianapolis Colts.What???Yep,the freakin' Colts.Now,before I offend my good friend Joshua Mings and all other Colts fans I just want to say I love the Colts,but I live in South Arkansas for cryin' out loud!On the opening Sunday of the season my CBS game was the Texans and Chargers,and I felt really positive that maybe CBS got it right this year.In week 2 Houston was at Detroit and on Fox so I saw the Titans and Colts,again not a problem as that should be the normal protocol.Last week was Houston at KC,again right on with my area.But this week throws a kink in everything and now again I am wondering what the deal is with CBS and if anyone else has this problem in their areas.The Texans played Oakland today,a game that clearly is a CBS telecast and yet I watched the Colts and Jaguars.Hmmmm.CBS has today's double-header and the Titans played a 3PM(central) game so I was all ready to see the Titans/Chargers game right?WRONG!I'm seeing the Bucs/Broncos game!!

Does anyone else have to endure the same broadcast madness that I do??

98Falcons.png

I live in eastern PA and the Pocono CBS and the Philly CBS will show the Steelers before the Jets.

This weekend it worked out because the Steelers played early and the Jets late, but most weeks, i can't get the Jets game.

It does suck.

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

yeah i get the colts unless they dont sellout a home game, which sucks cause im a bengals fan and just moved from cincy not too long ago. when i was in cincy if the bengals didnt sell out we saw the colts, so i guess thats probably what will happen here if the colts dont sell out

I think you get the national game unless you live within a teams territory. Living in Arkansas i am assuming you do not live close enough to be in an afc teams territory so thus you get the national game.

That's what I also thought but it doesnt explain why I sometimes see the Ttitans or Colts when the Texans are also playing at the same time versus an AFC team.

98Falcons.png

I live near st. louis and I'm a diehard bears fan. I have yet to see a single snap live because they (Rams/Bears) play at the same time during the day. Bears-Packers I was in Indianapolis with a friend and instead of the local fox affiliate showing one of the Best Rivalries in all of sports and possibly the bears only win this season, they showed a Movie of the Week. I'm pretty sure it was the same here in St. Louis.

That, and they show games I completely have no feelings toward. Right now, its Broncos Bucs on CBS and Cops on Fox. WTF? Lets see Atlanta Carolina or something!

I used to live in the best place for football on earth, Kenosha Wisconsin. Why do you ask? Well in Kenosha you get Milwaukee and Chicago network stations. So, even if the Bears and Packers were playing at the same time, the Milwaukee station woudl show the Pack, and the Chicago station would show the Bears. It was magical. Sometimes we'd have 6 different games on free tv! That and 8, count them 8 different simpsons episodes on a night!

Every sunday and every time I get the cable bill, I kick myself for not getting direct tv and the NFL package. Probably be the same price and I'd be much happier every week.

At least I get to see 160 (no lie) Cardinal games a season without MLB extra Innings.

I think you get the national game unless you live within a teams territory. Living in Arkansas i am assuming you do not live close enough to be in an afc teams territory so thus you get the national game.

That's what I also thought but it doesnt explain why I sometimes see the Ttitans or Colts when the Texans are also playing at the same time versus an AFC team.

That is probably because the Titans or Colts are playing in the national CBS game while the Texans are only playing in a regional game.

Well, CBS has the contract to show AFC games, and FOX has the contract to show NFC games. So, Eagles games would be on FOX, which is why the Steelers are on CBS. I have the same problem though in LA, because they will always show the Raiders instead of the Chargers, even though Oakland is 300 miles further than San Diego is. I guess it might have something to do with projected fan base, but I have no idea otherwise.

VmWIn6B.png

Racine ain't too bad for watchin the games either...like the Keno, we get a mix of Milwaukee and Chicago stations, so I can see both the Packers and Bears, or whatever AFC game happens to be on (usually we get the Colts, although today the Chicago CBS showed a movie while the Milwaukee CBS had Pats-Bills). as pcgd said, the Chicago stations will show the Bears, the Milwaukee stations have the Pack and then you have at least one or two national games.

it rules :notworthy:

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

That, and they show games I completely have no feelings toward.  Right now, its Broncos Bucs on CBS and Cops on Fox.  WTF?  Lets see Atlanta Carolina or something! 

Don't forget that the networks alternate the doubleheader each Sunday so if your FOX station had a 1PM E/10AM P game, then it won't show the 4PM/1PM game today because it's doubleheader day for CBS.

That, and they show games I completely have no feelings toward. Right now, its Broncos Bucs on CBS and Cops on Fox. WTF? Lets see Atlanta Carolina or something!

Don't forget that the networks alternate the doubleheader each Sunday so if your FOX station had a 1PM E/10AM P game, then it won't show the 4PM/1PM game today because it's doubleheader day for CBS.

I thought both always had doubleheaders! Wasn't that how it was last season or am I crazy?

I thought both always had doubleheaders! Wasn't that how it was last season or am I crazy?

I don't know about double headers because living in the New York area we don't get them unless either the Jets or Giants have a bye or are playing on sunday or monday night. One of them plays the early game while the other plays the late game. Usally there will only be 1 game on and the other network will show other programming. Although today was an exception because CBS had the pat-bills game against the giant game. However right now FOX is showing that 70's show.

but i have games on both right now so that cant be right, can it?

The two networks can show games at the same time but only one network gets the doubleheader. So if your local team was on FOX today and played at 4 then they didn't show a 1 o'clock game.

Allow me to correct myself. The doubleheaders don't necessarily alternate each week but only one network may have a doubleheader.

both networks had games for me today at both times

That is probably because the Titans or Colts are playing in the national CBS game while the Texans are only playing in a regional game.

You still miss what I'm saying.EVEN if the Colts played the nationally televised game then I would STILL see the team in my area which is supposed to be the Texans regardless of what the rest of the non-regional viewers get.Regardless of what team the national game is the entire US still has what is considered their local market.The Texans-who you would think would be in my market-played at noon today but yet I saw teams from Indiana and Florida play.And right now the Titans-who should be the secondary market team for AFC broadcasts-are being set aside for the Bucs/Broncos.The whole point of my post was to see who else is not getting the games they are supposed to be getting based on the regional break-downs.

98Falcons.png

Archived