Scoreboards

mjrbaseball

Noticing that many people are including graphics of scoreboards in their sigs (including myself), I wonder if there is any call for a place to discuss the real things -- scoreboards in stadiums and arenas. They've always fascinated me, so I am starting a thread for them. Whether it's an old model with manual digits and a round clock, or a huge video screen, let us discuss. (Pics are welcome too.)

Stadium%20Scoreboard_JPG.jpg

ColtStadium_ScoreboardRight.jpg

A29-scoreboard.jpg

p990807-01.jpg

MarisScoreBd.jpg

clock.jpg

CK3ZP8E.jpg

I love it!

That old Comiskey Park scoreboard was a work of art.

(I don't think it would be a stretch to say that at one time, Chicago had the three best scoreboards in all of sports ... Comiskey, the jewel in Wrigley Field, and the extremely confusing multi-dial board at Chicago Stadium for the Black Hawks.)

================

Did You Know? ...

In 1956, the Yankees sold the old scoreboard at Yankee Stadium to the Phillies, where it was erected at Connie Mack Stadium. Could this be the only scoreboard ever used in two major league parks?

larsenboard.jpg

ADL14Clarge.jpg

CK3ZP8E.jpg

IIRC, the Teal Monster originally had a manual out-of-town scoreboard. If that was the case, I wish they still had it.

Sodboy13 said:
As you watch more basketball, you will learn to appreciate the difference between "defense" and "couldn't find the rim with a pair of bloodhounds and a Garmin."

meet the new page, not the same as the old page.

Did You Know? ...

In 1956, the Yankees sold the old scoreboard at Yankee Stadium to the Phillies, where it was erected at Connie Mack Stadium. Could this be the only scoreboard ever used in two major league parks?

larsenboard.jpg

ADL14Clarge.jpg

When Braves Field in Boston was sold to Boston U, the scoreboard was sold and moved to Kansas City Municipal Stadium, where it was used by the Kansas City A's and the Kansas City Chiefs.

IIRC, the Teal Monster originally had a manual out-of-town scoreboard. If that was the case, I wish they still had it.

I recall it differently.

They way I remember the original Teal Monster, it was all electronic, but the out-of-town scores were full innings line scores, like Wrigley Field. I thought that set-up was a bit strange.

Let's try to find pics to see which of us is correct.

CK3ZP8E.jpg

Of course, all discussions of scoreboards have to include the most famous of all:

scoreboard2.jpg

Yeah--that is a classic--in this digital day & age I wonder if we'll ever see something else it again...

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

i wish i could find a bigger own of the teal monster.

tealmonster.jpg

The Teal Monster always puzzled me. It looks like they took great effort to design a nice-looking scoreboard, but forgot to leave space for the game actually going on in the stadium. The Marlins score seems to be relegated to a stock model high-school-type scoreboard above and to the right of the Teal Monster.

CK3ZP8E.jpg

I recall it differently.

They way I remember the original Teal Monster, it was all electronic, but the out-of-town scores were full innings line scores, like Wrigley Field. I thought that set-up was a bit strange.

the older one was basically i cruder version of the one today with a manual scoreboard. most people i talk to love it. but sadly the new park won't include a teal monster.

1997 | 2003

I think the locations are pretty obvious. I hate Seattle's but that's cause I have to stare at it all the time. It used to be worse. Instead of one side being a video screen, each side had 16 screens making one big one. Worst idea ever.

2d5828c3.jpg

6b0fe0e3.jpg

dff475e9.jpg

342ec0c0.jpg

2a9c67e8.jpg

I recall it differently.

I was at their first-ever game in '93. Sorry, but Ryan has it right - it was done manually, without line scores.

nav-logo.png

I recall it differently.

I was at their first-ever game in '93. Sorry, but Ryan has it right - it was done manually, without line scores.

From here:

SIGNATURE FEATURES

The best feature of Pro Player is an asymmetrical, natural-grass field that offers enough quirks and surprises to make baseball life interesting. The first thing that captures your eye is a left field barrier that ranges in height from 25 to 30 feet -- a so-called Teal Monster that eats up potential home runs. The wall itself is an unremarkable 8 feet, but an uneven out-of-town manual scoreboard tops the fence and extends from just short of the left field corner well into left-center field. A clock sits on top of the scoreboard and seems to pull balls toward it like a magnet.

Archived