Worst Team Nickname

zer0dotcom

There was the Atlanta Crackers in several minor leagues for nearly 50 years. And I believe there was also a Negro League team, the Atlanta Black Crackers, which really makes no sense.

I've decided to give up hope for all sports teams I follow

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My old high school was the Huntley (IL) Redskins, but because of pressure from Indian groups was forced to change its name. They are now the Huntley Red Raiders because they wanted the school colors to remain red and black and not have to spend money to change the colors on all the uniforms. Most people in town still refer to the team as the Redskins or simply, Raiders.

Toronto Blue Jays- Two word name. Also, how ferocious is a Blue Jay? It's not as if it's a raptor or anything. I approve of the name, but I just wonder why they picked it at all.

Saint Louis & Arizona Cardinals- Same thing as Toronto Blue Jays. How ferocious are they?.

In the Chicago area we are lucky to have Blue Jays and Cardinals nesting for a good portion of the year. And you're right, taken on their own they seem like sweet little birdies. But have you ever seen a Cardinal and a Blue Jay in the same territory? That's a sight to see, because they are natural competitors, and will fight to the death for a nesting area. They can be quite vicious little bastards towards each other.

CGP.gif

Wouldn't this have been so much better?

1974- New Orleans Jazz founded

1979- Jazz move to Salt Lake City, become Utah Raptors

1995- Toronto granted NBA franchise, given name Huskies

i like that. it ties in the new toronto franchise with the original one (the first ever nba game was between the ny knicks and the toronto huskies).

It would have been so much cooler IMO with the Huskies monaker

agreed but the story behind that was apparently the T-wolves were worried that anything they came up with for huskies would be too similar... im sure the NBA also had some say into that as well...

GDB... Brothers from other Mothers

www.pifflespodcast.com

blue jays are actually pretty aggresive. they are actually cloesly related to starlings, crows and ravens rather then cardinals and other finch-type birds.

I remember seeing a mouse walking outside a burger king a few years ago and a blue jay swooped down, picked it up with its beak, slammed it on the ground a few times, dropped it, the mouse twitched a bit, then the blue jay picked it back up and flew off.

Okay, how about the UC-Santa Cruz Banana Slugs?

GREATEST COLLEGE NICKNAME EVER!!!!!! And donut you forget it.

There seems to be a hole in your argument, there, Buzz.

Zing! :D

Archived