Worst Team Nickname

zer0dotcom

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Tarpon Springs Spongers.

wow, that has to be one of the oddest nicknames I've ever heard

Well, I can kinda get the reasoning behind it, but it's still very odd to me. Tarpon Springs is the home of a lot of sponge docks, so I would see why their high school is called that. But still, it's a bad name.

Utah Jazz- No jazz in Utah and the logo has nothing to do with jazz at all.

Los Angeles Lakers- No lakes in LA and the logo looks like it came out of a mid eighties fitness video.

Boston Red Sox- I know the tradition behind it, but any major league team with a name using more than one word sounds a bit bush league. Also, I find it a bit silly naming the team after sports apparel. Still, due to the tradition, they can keep it.

Chicago White Sox- See Red Sox.

Columbus Blue Jackets- Definitely bush league. No tradition behind it other than historical value. Plus, it's two words.

Detroit Red Wings- Tradition is the only reason I approve of two word names in the majors. Otherwise, they are bush league.

Oakland Athletics- This is my team and still I don't get it. What's an Athletic? 9/10 of the time you hear or see them refered to as the "A's". Tradition is what keeps the meaningless name around. At least change the logo to something more creative.

Los Angeles Dodgers- Makes no sense other than the fact that they had to dodge Brooklyn trolleys. Would've made more sense if they played in San Francisco.

Houston Texans- The blasted owner retired the name "Oilers". There were plenty of possiblilities: Stallions, Mustangs, Horsemen, Caballeros, Vaqueros, Drillers, etc. This is all they came up with? A recycled NFL and AFL name from Dallas? If I had to pick a name other than Oilers, it would have been Mustangs. Horses are overdone, but it would be better than the uncreative name they have now.

Cleveland Browns- I know they were named after Paul Brown, but I just find teams named after colors a bit uncreative.

Cincinnati Reds- See above, second half of sentence.

Washington Redskins- Don't go on about this, because I won't. I feel uncomfortable about this name for the same reason as everybody: it's a degrading name for a Native American. Let's stop there.

Toronto Maple Leafs- Two words plus grammatical error. Tradition keeps it tolerable.

Anaheim Mighty Ducks- The logo is cartoonish and so is the name. The only reason they exist is because they were backed by Disney and a very successful movie. The name could have been better. Anaheim Mallards, there we go.

Toronto Blue Jays- Two word name. Also, how ferocious is a Blue Jay? It's not as if it's a raptor or anything. I approve of the name, but I just wonder why they picked it at all.

Saint Louis & Arizona Cardinals- Same thing as Toronto Blue Jays. How ferocious are they?

Green Bay Packers- They were named after a meat packing company, yet they look more like they were named after a cheese factory. Tradition keeps them from changing significantly, yet their name has lost its meaning.

Boston Celtics- An ethnic name that is mispronounced. It is supposed to be pronounced as if the first letter was a K, not an S. Otherwise, it is fine with me.

New Jersey Nets- Although it can never be changed due to tradition, the name is uncreative and was only chosen to rhyme with the Mets and Jets. A Net is simply what you shoot the ball into. Whoopee.

New York Islanders- Oh yeah, that's creative. Why not establish a team called the Buffalo Mainlanders. Then you'd have two teams with names that reflect their location.

Montreal Canadiens- The only way this name survives is the local spelling. If it had been spelled otherwise, it would be so uncreative it would be like an American team known as the Americans. Nowadays, that would be uncreative.

Boston Red Sox- I know the tradition behind it, but any major league team with a name using more than one word sounds a bit bush league. Also, I find it a bit silly naming the team after sports apparel. Still, due to the tradition, they can keep it.

I'm sure Boston fans everywhere are breathing a sigh of relief.

I once saw a logo for a hockey team that played in Montreal. They were called the Montreal Red,White and Blue.

This summer the UHL Adirondack franchise changed their name to the Frostbite. I like that name but thank God they didnt choose some of the other choices. The Spelunkers, and Mulletteers.

Finally

FC Dallas and Real Salt Lake. Those I can live with if they are a team in Europe, but definitly not the US

Signature intentionally left blank

Being from New Orleans, the Utah Jazz bothers me. They aren't even allowed to have fun in Utah, much less Jazz. Give us our team name back please.

NOT A CHANCE IN HELL! Utah has earned that name more than freakin' New Orleans. The Jazz have a huge history in Utah and they're not about to give it up now.

utah_jazz_signature_s.jpgdenver_nuggets.gif

Utah Jazz Retired Number's

#1 - Frank Layden - #7 Pete Maravich - #12 John Stockton - #14 Jeff Hornacek - #35 Darrell Griffith - #53 Mark Eaton

Retired Number's To Come

#00 The Bear (Best Mascot In NBA) - #4 Adrian Dantley - #32 Karl "The Mailman" Malone

Being from New Orleans, the Utah Jazz bothers me.  They aren't even allowed to have fun in Utah, much less Jazz.  Give us our team name back please.

NOT A CHANCE IN HELL! Utah has earned that name more than freakin' New Orleans. The Jazz have a huge history in Utah and they're not about to give it up now.

And how exactly does a team go about earning a name that has no relation to there area?

IUe6Hvh.png

Greenville Groove...reminds me of that G Womack song "can i groove wit you"

Greenville Grrrrrrrrrowl...just awwwwwwwwwwful

New Orleans Night

Anaheim Amigos

Syracuse Smash, Syracuse Crunch...Syracuse seems to be lost in naming teams after the SkyChiefs (which despite the superfluous "Sky" prefix is still better than the other two)

for a bad one, however, I reach to the depths of semipro football, and to my own hometown. I list our 'big' semipros, the Raiders, in my location line but we have another, lesser-known team, the Threat.

Yes, the THREAT. I wish I was joking.

Although I know a couple guys on that team, I've never met the guy who runs it and therefore I dunno what the hell he was thinking...maybe "nobody'll come." Eh well, when I form a team I can name it whatever the hell I want too, I think i'll call it Dilweed :hockeysmiley:

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

One of our rival high schools, in fact we're playing them tonight in our homecoming game, is the Tarpon Springs Spongers.

For a second there, I seriously thought that said Tampon Strings Spongers, which sort of makes sense but would be an unbelieveably bad (and more than likely offensive) name for a sports team.

(So which one of you freaks wants to try and make in into a logo?)

Seriously though, I pick the Utah Jazz. It made a lot of sense in New Orleans because it's steeped in Jazz music history. (I'm not entirely certain if it was invented there.) In Utah, where the greatest export is Donny and Marie Osmond, who are practically the opposite of Jazz, it sounds so utterly stupid. And the logos have nothing to do with it and don't convey it at all.

--Roger "Time?" Clemente.

champssig2.png
Follow me on Twitter if you care: @Animal_Clans.

My opinion may or may not be the same as yours. The choice is up to you.

Montreal Canadiens- The only way this name survives is the local spelling. If it had been spelled otherwise, it would be so uncreative it would be like an American team known as the Americans. Nowadays, that would be uncreative.

Rochester Americans, anyone? New York Americans?

The name Utah Jazz is pretty bad and should've been changed when they left New Orleans. But Arizona Cardinals is just as out of place. If the Buffalo Bills ever moved and kept their name though, they would take the cake.

But they didn't, are you going to be able to survive knowing that there's a team in Utah called the Jazz? Get over it, this is old old old news by 25 years. We can bitch about it all we want but it won't make a bit of difference. YES, THERE IS AN NBA TEAM IN UTAH CALLED THE JAZZ, GET OVER IT!

utah_jazz_signature_s.jpgdenver_nuggets.gif

Utah Jazz Retired Number's

#1 - Frank Layden - #7 Pete Maravich - #12 John Stockton - #14 Jeff Hornacek - #35 Darrell Griffith - #53 Mark Eaton

Retired Number's To Come

#00 The Bear (Best Mascot In NBA) - #4 Adrian Dantley - #32 Karl "The Mailman" Malone

The name Utah Jazz is pretty bad and should've been changed when they left New Orleans.  But Arizona Cardinals is just as out of place.  If the Buffalo Bills ever moved and kept their name though, they would take the cake.

But they didn't, are you going to be able to survive knowing that there's a team in Utah called the Jazz? Get over it, this is old old old news by 25 years. We can bitch about it all we want but it won't make a bit of difference. YES, THERE IS AN NBA TEAM IN UTAH CALLED THE JAZZ, GET OVER IT!

Someone needs a Valium.

The name Utah Jazz is pretty bad and should've been changed when they left New Orleans.  But Arizona Cardinals is just as out of place.  If the Buffalo Bills ever moved and kept their name though, they would take the cake.

Yes, but the topic was "Worst Team Nickname"..

So: The Utah Jazz is HORRIBLE! Maybe they should be the Utah Polygamists..or the Utah Mormons..or the Utah Loudmouths..

MouthoftheSouth.jpg

I don't speak for democrats, democrats don't speak for me.

Archived