Red Sox Logo

slapshot

I got a reply from my contact with the MLB:

just back from St Louis, absolutely amazing, my Red Sox have won the World Series, I lived to see it, and I saw it in person. I have asked about the lettering thing before and have never received a good answer, I'll press it again soon. The style guide is wrong, it always has been, but Majestic should at least supply the same lettering style on both authentic and replicas, even if it's an inferior product.

I have to go out and get my Curt Schilling tattoo now, keep me posted...

Well...no real answer here, but maybe if people like us keep noticing stuff like this, it can get corrected...

I got a reply from my contact with the MLB:
just back from St Louis, absolutely amazing, my Red Sox have won the World Series, I lived to see it, and I saw it in person. I have asked about the lettering thing before and have never received a good answer, I'll press it again soon. The style guide is wrong, it always has been, but Majestic should at least supply the same lettering style on both authentic and replicas, even if it's an inferior product.

I have to go out and get my Curt Schilling tattoo now, keep me posted...

Well...no real answer here, but maybe if people like us keep noticing stuff like this, it can get corrected...

So as I'm reading Pantone's e-mailed reply, I notice there's a user named "Majestic" reading this thread.

If that's a company representative, please get it right. That stuff in the Style Guide does look like a copy of a copy of a ... (you get the idea).

It's where I sit.

It looks like more than a Majestic problem. They have been using the one font for the Authentic game jerseys for decades, but using the replica font for everything else since the early '80's at least. This isn't something that just began in the last year or two.

And Swiss, Nice work finding the uniform fonts. Thank you very much.

"Hats for bats. Keep bats warm. Gracias"

is it a mistake or intentinal on MLB's part is what I'd like to know. Does MLB think

that the replica product shouldn't get the "real" lettering so

as not to dilute the specialness and price of the authentic product?

If so that's a very stupid decision. What should delineate the replica and authentic

product is other quality factors such as fabric and how you actually construct the garment.

Not the actual graphics themselves. how you apply them and the materials you use

is what seperates the authentic from replica. In my mind, the replica should

be the same as the real thing aesthetically, just using cheaper corner cutting methods.

When I was with nike teams sports we used all the same artwork from our on-field, authentics

and replicas, only the materials changed. which is why Nike always had the bect NFL replicas.

At work today, for early Halloween, one of my co-workers dressed up as Johnny Damon. He wore a Red Sox replica jersey, I don't remember if it had the World Series patch on it. He said he bought it recently, it might have been before the WS. He also said it was about $60, so I knew it wasn;t an authentic.

The jersey was a Majestic jersey, the Majestic logo was silkscreened. The Red Sox script was the correct one, with the notch in the hole in the B.

Majestic may have the script correct on the jerseys. Mine is a Russell Athletic, with the circular R hole. I have seen many replica Red Sox jerseys with name and number on the back (both road and home, in incorrect fonts). I have seen these by numerous manufacturers, so I can't necessarily vouch for the fact that Majestic produces correct versions for the replicas.

I have a Majestic authentic Red Sox batting jersey (blue pullover with red lettering) and the lettering is correct.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

Yes it does, Roger.. I was trying to say that, but it didn't come out right.

As far as replicas with the same font as the logos, both Russell and Majestic use the font as seen in the Sox primary logo, with the circular R hole. The Authentic jersey and new jackets are the only places you will see the "neater" font used.

"Hats for bats. Keep bats warm. Gracias"

Archived