Red Sox Logo

slapshot

With all the media attention thrust upon the Red Sox, this seems like a good time to bring up this point/question.

I recently bought a Red Sox replica jersey, and was trying to figure out what the differences were that it could cost so much less than an authentic one (replica was $20 at Modell's). The lettering is different on the replica than the authentic.

Specifically, the hole in the letter R. On the authentic, the hole is indented, almost looking like the outline of a B. On the replica, the whole is a circle. The spikes are more pronounced on the authentic, as are the curves on the ends.

Check out the other differences between the two jerseys. The first picture is authentic, the second is replica.

authentic

pMLB2-1755466dt.jpg

replica

pMLB2-1744524dt.jpg

On all versions of the Red Sox logo that I have found, the lettering is thicker and wider than the authentic jersey script. So my question would be are there any other teams in the league that have this discrepancy between the authentics and replicas, or the lettering on the logo being different from the jersey script?

Also, does anyone have the lettering for the Red Sox authentic jersey as a vector file?

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

Replica jerseys suck!!!

Indeed, I always am in love with those old lettering of the Red Sox when Teddy Williams played... if you watch carefully, you'll notice the difference.

TW9032-U.jpg

I have the Red Sox original jersey but I'm dreaming to buy that Williams' jersey someday. :)

(What a pity that it is very expensive... almost 250 dollars!)

pennants.png

It's great to be young and a Giant! - Larry Doyle

This is also interesting...I have seen all the Red Sox artwork from the MLB Style Guide website, and all the Red Sox lettering is like the replica jerseys. Even the uniform artwork displays the incorrect lettering.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

This wouldn't be the first time the MLB Style Guide got something wrong...the Cubs' number font has been wrong since they started putting this stuff online. That being said, here's what's in the 2005 guide:

BostonRedSox_HomeScript.jpg

Wrong here too I guess.

interesting...

somehting else i noticed was that in JP's versions, the authentic was truely arched, but in the replica, it was just bent at the center.....

but in the picture pantone just posted form the style guide, it was simply bent as well.

Odd.

NCFA Sunset Beach Tech - Octopi

ΓΔΒ!

Going to college gets you closer to the real world, kind of like climbing a tree gets you closer to the moon.

"...a nice illustration of what you get when skill, talent, and precedent are deducted from 'creativity.' " - James Howard Kunstler

This wouldn't be the first time the MLB Style Guide got something wrong...the Cubs' number font has been wrong since they started putting this stuff online.

Not to divert the thread, but how is the Cubs' number font wrong? I ask because I based (heck, copied and pasted) the numbers in my MLB Cubs font from the club art file...

--Eriq.

This wouldn't be the first time the MLB Style Guide got something wrong...the Cubs' number font has been wrong since they started putting this stuff online.

Not to divert the thread, but how is the Cubs' number font wrong? I ask because I based (heck, copied and pasted) the numbers in my MLB Cubs font from the club art file...

--Eriq.

The club art file's correct - it's the uniform representations that are wrong.

They used standard block lettering in the uniform figures.

--Eriq.

The club art file's correct - it's the uniform representations that are wrong.

They used standard block lettering in the uniform figures.

PANTONE beat me to it, but note the difference between Nomar's #5 and the #5 from the MLB Style Guide.

"If things have gone wrong, I'm talking to myself, and you've got a wet towel wrapped around your head."

I recently bought a Red Sox replica jersey, and was trying to figure out what the differences were that it could cost so much less than an authentic one (replica was $20 at Modell's).

Not to take this off topic, as to the font discrepancies, but if you are wondering what the differences in jerseys are authentic to replica, than you've obviously never seen an authentic up close. The quality of materials and fabrics are immense (authentics are heavier, replicas lighter quality). The replicas crests are most often not actually sewn on (as on an authentic), but glued. Also, the details in the piping and hems make a difference. You really need to hold a replica next to an authentic to answer the question you asked.

Moose

This wouldn't be the first time the MLB Style Guide got something wrong...the Cubs' number font has been wrong since they started putting this stuff online. That being said, here's what's in the 2005 guide:

BostonRedSox_HomeScript.jpg

Wrong here too I guess.

That lettering is very awful and can't be original.

pennants.png

The only place you will find the letters as they are on the authentic jerseys are on the authentic jerseys, the occasional Cooperstown Collection piece, and now on the new jackets. It seems that the "official" font is the one that is on the replica and BP jerseys, as well as all of their other merchandise. One of the main reasons I bought the authentics was to get the more professional font on them.

"Hats for bats. Keep bats warm. Gracias"

even though they are similar and are supposed to represent the same thing, the "real" red sox font is so awesome, while the replica just looks cheap.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

The only place you will find the letters as they are on the authentic jerseys are on the authentic jerseys, the occasional Cooperstown Collection piece, and now on the new jackets. It seems that the "official" font is the one that is on the replica and BP jerseys, as well as all of their other merchandise. One of the main reasons I bought the authentics was to get the more professional font on them.

I agree 101% with you.

pennants.png

Excellent opinion, Moose.

As I already said, I always like the old lettering, from the Ted Williams' era. It's very classic and elegant.

The Red Sox organization must restore that lettering in jerseys and logos.

pennants.png

Archived