Professional Hockey Teams by States & Provinces

Gary

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How weird is it that Florida, Georgia and the Carolinas have 19 teams, but Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa, Nebraska, the Dakotas, Montana, Wyoming, Idaho, Washington & Oregon combined have a grand total of 3 teams with one on the way?

Why isn't there pro hockey in Seattle and Portland, Oregon?

I've always thought the NHL should be in Milwaukee and Seattle before places like Nashville and Raleigh.

HansonsSig.jpg

Click here to read Third String Goalie - The Hockey Jersey of the Day Blog

Click here to see my hockey and baseball jersey collection online

?You don?t like to see 20 kids punching 20 other kids. But it?s not a disgrace, It?s hockey.? - Michael Farber

They already have WHL junior hockey teams in those markets and they have been there for over 25 years. They get decent good crowds in Portland. This past weekend in they had over 10 000 in a game against the Thunderbirds. I think the teams are well established in those markets.

They could try to get a ECHL team, but the WHL teams have plenty of close rivals in Washington state, so I think the WHL suits them just fine.

I saw, I came, I left.

How weird is it that Florida, Georgia and the Carolinas have 19 teams, but Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa, Nebraska, the Dakotas, Montana, Wyoming, Idaho, Washington & Oregon combined have a grand total of 3 teams with one on the way?

I've always thought the NHL should be in Milwaukee and Seattle before places like Nashville and Raleigh.

Well I can answer to some of those. Minnesota is a huge high school and college hockey area so they can pretty much get by with the one team. As gojetsgo pointed out in the WInnipeg thread, the NHL suffered in its first incarnation in Minneapolis. In fact, the largest crowd at the Met Center wasn't for the North Stars but rather for the high school championship. That should tell you something about Minnesota.

Washington and Oregon have junior teams, 4 and 1 respectively. In fact, they make up one division of the WHL, one of the best developmental leagues in the world.

Seattle, barring another arena, will never have an NHL team. There would be no place for them to play and there would not be the season ticket base to sustain it.

Portland always comes up as a suggestion for an NHL team and they should. Large somewhat new arena, large fan base (Over 2000 people have paid a deposit on season tickets for the NHL team, when and if it ever gets there), and no nfl or mlb team to compete with. The one thing really holding Portland back is Paul Allen, owner of the TrailBlazers. He's made it clear that his team is the number 1 priority in Portland and the Rose Garden and would not want to be involved in anything that would change that. Without Allen's involvement, NHL in PDX seems very hard to do.

Scratch Worcester off the list

Now there are two Peoria Rivermen teams. Weird!

staffordsigbuffda6.jpg

Owner of

Kalamazoo Tech Kobras (Nat'l College Fant. Assc. Basketball, Football, and Hockey)

2006-07 NCFAB National Champions

2006 NCFAF Midwest Conf. Champions

Rochester Patriots (Major League Hockey - AHL Fantasy League) 2005-06 Neilson Cup Champs

Detroit Black Panthers (Xtreme Hockey League) 2005-06 Yzerman Conference Champs

Sheldon Motorsports (TRAC) - #20 Guinness Chevy & #21 UPS Chevy #44 Syracuse University Chevy

Commissioner of

MLH (Major League Hockey, an AHL Fantasy League)

TRAC (Team Racing Auto Circuit, NASCAR)

Archived