CBS, Fox extend NFL deal through 2011

buzzcut

Well that's nice. If it ain't broke, don't fix it, a wise man once said. They aren't gonna be messing with CBS or FOX for a long time, but that brings me to this: What about Monday Night Football? I think it might go the way of the dodo if we keep on seeing matchups like Dolphins-Jets regularly

Well that's nice. If it ain't broke, don't fix it, a wise man once said. They aren't gonna be messing with CBS or FOX for a long time, but that brings me to this: What about Monday Night Football? I think it might go the way of the dodo if we keep on seeing matchups like Dolphins-Jets regularly

Fortunately, the rest of ABC's sked is full of "supposedly" great matchups. :D

MofnV2z.png

The CCSLC's resident Geelong Cats fan.

Viva La Vida or Death And All His Friends. Sounds like something from a Rocky & Bullwinkle story arc.

Don't be surprised of NBC/Universal takes the prime time (Sunday and Monday night) package from Disney's ESPN and ABC, and you could be seeing Sunday Night Football on USA Network, and NFL Monday Night on NBC with Bob Costas at the mike on Mondays.

"I better go take a long walk off a short pier or something."

Some people on this bolard have told me to do just that.

My "Ron Mexico" alias is "Jon Tobago".

Now, all eyes are on the prime-time package. Will Disney (owners of ESPN and ABC) keep it or will NBC/Universal swipe it away?

ESPN had better keep it. With the exception of Niners-Bears a couple of weeks ago, they've had some pretty intriguing matchups. But thinking about it, NBC needs some sort of major sports programming, because I think they got scammed with the NHL

Is there a particular reason the NFL can't wait till a week or two before a particular week to decide what the Monday night game will be? Like -- have 3 target games going into the week, put the better matchup of the three on Monday night, the second best on Sunday night, and then play the third during the day? Or can that not be done for some reason?

And I don't possibly understand how ESPN could see Bears/49ers as an intriguing matchup. :wacko:

IUe6Hvh.png

ESPN's Chris Mortensen is reporting that the new prime-time package will include a flexible final seven weeks of the season and a post-Thanksgiving Thursday-Saturday night cable package, so ESPN or another cable network will get the package.

"I better go take a long walk off a short pier or something."

Some people on this bolard have told me to do just that.

My "Ron Mexico" alias is "Jon Tobago".

Monday Night Football is here to stay, though I think that network officials - regardless of whether ABC re-ups or a new network obtains the broadcast rights - would like to see a scheduling system implemented that would provide some flexibility of match-ups, particularly late in the season.

I also think that Sunday Night Football will remain a fixture of the NFL's broadcast schedule, though I don't know if the league will necessarily look for a single corporate parent (i.e. Disney owning both ABC and ESPN) to pick up the rights to both the Monday and Sunday night packages.

One thing that's been mentioned quite a bit that I don't think will come to pass, is the implementation of a regular Thursday night or Saturday night broadcast package. Head coaches - and, by extension, owners - are creatures of habit. They don't like it now when their weekly preparation time is impacted by a Monday night game. Imagine the howls of discontent that would result from playing on a Sunday, then having just 3 - 5 days to prepare for a Thursday or Saturday contest the following week.

Actually, I would suspect that if there is a Thursday package, it will be treated like the Thanksgiving games and the games played on Thursday nights in the past. The teams will have a very short week to prepare for the games (3 days at most unless coming off of a bye), but they will have a full 10 days after until their next game, plus no team would have more than 1 per year, so while there may be some complaints at the beginning, (and it will be an excuse for every team who ever loses one) it shouldn't be that big of a problem.

I've decided to give up hope for all sports teams I follow

Actually, I would suspect that if there is a Thursday package, it will be treated like the Thanksgiving games and the games played on Thursday nights in the past. The teams will have a very short week to prepare for the games (3 days at most unless coming off of a bye), but they will have a full 10 days after until their next game, plus no team would have more than 1 per year, so while there may be some complaints at the beginning, (and it will be an excuse for every team who ever loses one) it shouldn't be that big of a problem.

You would almost have to make it that each teams Thursday game be played after their bye otherwise it would be unfair to those that don't. (Yes I know thats's a 7th grade mentality but it's true)

I agree, because if a team played on a Sunday and had a Thursday game scheduled, they would really only have one day to prepare. Monday would be for recovery from the bumps and bruises of the game, Tuesday would be for actual practice and game-planning and Wednesday would have to be for travel. Problems would be worse for the West Coast teams if they were scheduled to play on the road. This is why I don't think a Thursday package will be involved anytime soon.

I've decided to give up hope for all sports teams I follow

They better. DirecTV is nothing without that. Unless they want to air more chicken fights.

:cursing: , I missed that chicken fight! But really, DIRECTV had that deal (NFLTS) in the bag. No one else (Communist-Cast, Dish, Time Warner, etc.) had a chance.

MofnV2z.png

The CCSLC's resident Geelong Cats fan.

Viva La Vida or Death And All His Friends. Sounds like something from a Rocky & Bullwinkle story arc.

One big point of this new deal that we haven't discussed yet is the NFL being able to move late season games from Sunday afternoon to Sunday evening or Monday night those being the national games and them wanting to get the good matchup. So that raises two questions.

1. Did CBS and FOX overpay as they won't get the marquee matchups at the end of the year?

2. Did the NFL do this to make the night packages even more expensive? It's a shrewd move on their part to do so.

2. Did the NFL do this to make the night packages even more expensive? It's a shrewd move on their part to do so.

Ye sit is thats why the NFL is smart, and teh best run league.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Archived