If you thought Indianapolis was far...

Dilbert

The Central Hockey League had a team in Indianapolis, Indiana last year, far away from the teams in Colorado, New Mexico, Texas, Kansas, Oklahoma, Louisianna, and Mississippi. The CHL has announced that Youngstown, Ohio will be joining in 2005! This seems like a bad idea, because

1. Youngstown, Ohio is far away from the other teams. Meaning that the ChL will play from Albuquerque, New Mexico to Northeast Ohio.

2. I live in Ohio and if I know my Ohio cities, Youngstown is not one of the major cities in Ohio.

3. Lack of pro teams. The only teams that I know of this town ever supporting was a minor basketball team called the Youngstown Pride, and currently has College team Youngstown State Penguins.

Signature intentionally left blank

the reason why the CHL is going to Youngstown, Ohio is because the parent company of the CHL, Global Entertainment Corporation, built the arena in Youngstown so of course you are going to see a CHL team in Youngstown

As of the 2000 US Census, Youngstown's population was 82,026. The population of the Youngstown-Warren Metropolitan Statistical Area was said to be 574,746. The individual city population would make Youngstown the Central Hockey League's second-smallest host market after Hidalgo, Texas, where the Rio Grande Valley Killer Bees' arena is located. However, the Youngstown MSA would rank 7th-largest of the CHL's 18 Metro Statistical Areas.

The breakdown:

1) Fort Worth-Arlington, TX MSA (1,754,520)... Fort Worth Brahmas

2) Austin-San Marcos, TX MSA (1,249,763).. Austin Ice Bats

3) Memphis, TN-AR-MS MSA (1,135,614)... Memphis RiverKings

4) Oklahoma City, OK MSA (1,083,346)... Oklahoma City Blazers

5) Tulsa, OK MSA (803,235)... Tulsa Oilers

6) Albuquerque, NM MSA (712,738)... New Mexico Scorpions

7) Youngstown-Warren, OH MSA (574,746)

8) McAllen-Edinburg-Mission, TX MSA (534,907)... Rio Grande Valley Killer Bees

9) Wichita, KS MSA (534,907)... Wichita Thunder

10) Shreveport-Bossier City, LA MSA (392,302)... Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs

11) Corpus Christi, TX MSA (380,783)... Corpus Christi Rayz

12) Fort Collins-Loveland, CO MSA (251,494)... Colorado Eagles

13) Lubbock, TX MSA (242,628)... Lubbock Cotton Kings

14) Odessa-Midland, TX MSA (237,132)... Odessa Jackalopes

15) Amarillo, TX MSA (217,858)... Amarillo Gorillas

16) Laredo, TX MSA (193,117)... Laredo Bucks

17) Topeka, KS MSA (169,871)... Topeka Tarantulas

18) San Angelo, TX MSA (104,010)... San Angelo Saints

If the CHL is going to expand towards the east, they should at least put some teams between Memphis and Youngstown first. Those two are the closest right now. I guess if it worked in Fayetteville, ColumbusGA, and Macon(all being more eastern teams than central) I guess they can try in Youngstown.

If the CHL is going to expand towards the east, they should at least put some teams between Memphis and Youngstown first. Those two are the closest right now. I guess if it worked in Fayetteville, ColumbusGA, and Macon(all being more eastern teams than central) I guess they can try in Youngstown.

They are all apart of the Southern Professional Hockey League, it won't happen unless there is some kind of merge between the 2 leagues

I think if somehow the CHL and UHL merged this would all be great. But for a New Mexico team to go CLEAR to Ohio to play one game would be assinine. Personally i think taking all the AA Hockey teams and making a super league out of it would rule. Have regional divisions and limit travel for teams. Then the playoffs you can have the AA hockey Champion.

At least with a name like the CENTRAL Hockey League, there's a little more room to roam around. You're really not as tied down geographically, so you won't look as dumb as, say, the East Coast Hockey League (with franchises in Alaska, Idaho, California etc.).

piratesSig.gif

OWNER -- Pittsburgh Spiders (UL) * Dynamo Missouri (PLA) * Montreal Maroons (SHL)

Frankly, I would love to see the CHL, UHL and ECHL all merge into one united entity that concentrates on regional competition. I would split the combined entity into four regional leagues with no interleague competition during the regular season, thus keeping travel expenses down. Each league would have its own playoffs and champion, but each league's champion would then advance to a 10 day finals round (with host cities rotating annually among the four leagues). The first part of the finals round would feature a round robin wherein each league champion plays each other one time. Following the round robin, teams are seeded based upon their performance and a single elimination tournament is played.

Frankly, I would love to see the CHL, UHL and ECHL all merge into one united entity that concentrates on regional competition. I would split the combined entity into four regional leagues with no interleague competition during the regular season, thus keeping travel expenses down. Each league would have its own playoffs and champion, but each league's champion would then advance to a 10 day finals round (with host cities rotating annually among the four leagues). The first part of the finals round would feature a round robin wherein each league champion plays each other one time. Following the round robin, teams are seeded based upon their performance and a single elimination tournament is played.

In other words, do what the Canadian Hockey League (juniors, for the rest of you) does.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

At least with a name like the CENTRAL Hockey League, there's a little more room to roam around. You're really not as tied down geographically, so you won't look as dumb as, say, the East Coast Hockey League (with franchises in Alaska, Idaho, California etc.).

I'm telling you, it's the Entire Continent Hockey League. :P

I think if somehow the CHL and UHL merged this would all be great. But for a New Mexico team to go CLEAR to Ohio to play one game would be assinine. Personally i think taking all the AA Hockey teams and making a super league out of it would rule. Have regional divisions and limit travel for teams. Then the playoffs you can have the AA hockey Champion.

You mean like the Pathetic ABA? Yeah good plan.

Actually UHL and CHL wouldnt be bad.

Archived