CFL Update concepts - TOR and HAM

Jezus_Ghoti

There are 2 or 3 other threads about CFL updates, but each one seems to be another member's personal thread for posting his own concepts, and I didn't want to hijack any of them.

I don't post many concepts, but I come here a lot to check out other work and comment frequently. Basically I love this board, and have visited almost daily since I found out it existed. I figured it was time to contribute something.

I have been working on these for a long time now. I got a fair amount if input from my dad, who is a big CFL fan. The idea behind both is to do a 49ers-style modernization. I wanted to stay true to both teams' pasts, without looking too throwbackish.

First up, the Hamitlon Tiger-Cats. I worked with the newly-released logos and wordmark. I left the helmet the same (except for the new logo) because I don't see anything wrong with it, and I don't like change for the sake of change. The pants for both home and away are traditional Hamilton pants -- yellow with a thick black stripe. For the jerseys, I brought back a variation of the old "bumblebee" arm stripes that many people on the Tiger-Cats message board want back. I also added this striping to the socks. I added a unique number font (I think that many teams would benefit from having one of these) and the wordmark under the collar (I think every team should have this). No sleeve logos because I think the stripes are nice enough. Hamilton is a blue-collar town (I live here and go to university here), so flashy uniforms don't mix well.

HamiltonTigerCats.jpg

Next up, the Argonauts. This concept is one I have tinkered with for a long time now. I sent a previous version of it to the new Argos owners shortly after they bought the team, but the never wrote back. Luckily they have adopted my idea anyhow and are bringing back the double-blue (not that I am taking credit for it, they thought of it also I am sure). I really don't think the Argos have ever had a bad uniform (except maybe that one year in the early 90s when they started to phase in red), so I incorporated elements from all eras of Argo football into this one. I recolored the current logo, switching the sea green to light blue. I also changed the color of the interior of the shield from navy blue to light blue, in order to emphasize that color. I did the same to the wordmark. I added a slightly different, more jersey-appropriate wordmark to the jersey. I brought back the helmet striping of the 80s, and added it to the blue pants that I have brought back for the white jersey (the Argos had blue pants in the 60s and early 90s, and I think they look great). I brought back the sock striping of the 60s, which I think looks really nice. I am undecided if the striped navy socks work with navy pants (I don't want a Tennessee Titans look, but I think the stripes break it up). I added the classic boat logo that the Argos are using in their current marketing to the shoulders. Finally, I brought back the light blue numbers (from the 60s I think) for the white jersey.

TorontoArgonauts.jpg

I hope these can match up to what some of you guys post. I am often in awe at how easy it seems for you guys to come up with perfect striping, etc. It takes me a lot of tinkering to get things the way I like them. Criticism would be appreciated.

I don't care for the Toronto concept at all, but the Hamilton concept looks very nice, very retro, although I'd add a gold stripe on the helmet, an extra sleeve stripe on the road jerseys, and change the colour of the socks to black, with keeping the 3 gold stripes an option.

How about changing the sock on the road Argos uni to light blue with navy and white stripes?

"I better go take a long walk off a short pier or something."

Some people on this bolard have told me to do just that.

My "Ron Mexico" alias is "Jon Tobago".

I like them--the TiCats striping works well.

I always wondered why the Argos added the foamy green colour.

I do prefer the cersion of the football boat Alsfan used--but they're both great logos...

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

I am definitely NOT a fan of the Argos Boat crest. The current logo is fine in my opinion, but I do miss the helmet stripes.White in the centre bordered by light blue would look best, I think.

HibsSignature.gif

Thanks go to Eddie010 for the Signature and Avatar. Nice work, mate!

You know, the Toronto concept can be used as a 3rd uniform, a retro uniform.

Observe, here's my idea of what I'm talking about:

CFL-Torontothrowback.jpg

The helmets are optional.

Actually the helmets are mine. At least give credit when credit is due.

Ben

You are graciously acknowledged. :notworthy:

• 2 months later...

Archived