Feedback to designers:  webdav challenge may 2003

whchoclte

I love the logos of the Thunder design, but I don't know about "Oregon," and I definitely don't like that font.

Otherwise, it's sharp.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

My comment would be that if anyone were to truly care about the results of the contest, it might be limit the entries to just a primary logo or uniform or something specific like that.  The Thunder proposal obviously overwhelms the others, but I'm sure if the others had more time, they could have looked more impressive too.

Yeah do that.  Do exactly THAT

My comment would be that if anyone were to truly care about the results of the contest, it might be limit the entries to just a primary logo or uniform or something specific like that.  The Thunder proposal obviously overwhelms the others, but I'm sure if the others had more time, they could have looked more impressive too.

The contest was just a logo contest, but the author of the Thunder concept sent me a complete concept.

I would rather people give me MORE than less. Yes, the Thunder proposal overwhelms the others by sheer mass. However, the others were given the same amount of time. That author just put in more work.

I asked people to give me a complete concept. Make their design "perfect." Hopefully, next month people will take a que from the Thunder and go full guns. That's when this contest will be a meaningful one.

We were screwed from the beginning.

Had not a snowball's chance in you-know-where.

Couldn't we make this a strictly one logo challenge?

Heck, with enough time, anyone could design tons of stuff.

Or else we need to find some way of handicapping this.

Cause the pros here are going to wipe the floor with us.

Like this contest. Over before it started.

This could quickly become a showcase for the pros.

Everybody else'll just say "there's no point" and bail.

What're we left with then? An elite contest with few entries.

Or else, we say the winner of one month can't enter the next.

Now there's a thought.

:D

No hard feelings, I just want to point out that while that artist (who will remain nameless at this time :;): ) put in more work, and deserved to win, the instructions could've been more clear in terms of how much of a concept you wanted. Maybe the other designers just followed their interpretation of the instructions better?

Hindsight is 20-20, though, hopefully some of these bugs will be worked out for the next challenge. Thanks for stepping up and running the contest, webdav.

WINnipegSigBanner.gif

Oh, and since this a LOGO feedback thread (as opposed to CONTEST feedback), I'll give my rundown of the logos...

(oh and if you haven't voted yet, go vote, then read my rundown... wouldn't want my opinions influencing the votes).

Portland Lumberjacks: The appropriateness in the name is good... I like the colour scheme a lot. The axe is at a bit of a funny angle, maybe some suggestion of motion would've served to explain the angle. The P is a little unbalanced (I know, a minor detail, but it kind of throws the whole feel off for me). The daimond in the background is something I'm not a huge fan of, but this is MLB where the teams often heavily indicate what sport they play (as opposed to the NFL, which is for the most part very sport neutral).

Portland Pilots: Can't exactly judge this one objectively, but I'll try. It's the only one without a word attached to it, maybe not obviously Portland enough... odd looking P and very light colour scheme is not very intimidating or aggressive. Not very obviously baseball (but I like it like that, and wasn't about to change that).

Oregon Thunder: Hands down the best logo(s) in the contest. Colour scheme is good. Oakland A's-ish in a way, but at least it isn't navy blue, black and red. Font selection is this logo's weakness IMO (which isn't exactly all that bad)... strikes me as a bit childish, although we've all seen much worse. Nice job of incorporating the baseball, the rivets and the trees make for a full logo (bordering on too busy), but it is a very well done logo, and a deserving winner.

Portland Timbers: Ho ho ho... this one was a late addition that I can't be too objective about either. Again, no baseball hints, unique colour scheme (but it may be "unique" for a reason), not much too it but a pine tree with a wordmark. Uninspiring, but could have some jersey potential.

Portland Woodmen: Isn't it Woodsmen? Anyway, this one could definitely use some Illustrator-loving. Colour scheme appeals to a very small percentage of people (although it fits the name reasonably well)... font selection is interesting, but yields very little in the way of uniform possibilities... a baseball player isn't featured in most baseball logos, and apparently the voters wanted it to stay that way. Clever way of associating the name with the sport, but apparently the voters just didn't take to it.

WINnipegSigBanner.gif

This could quickly become a showcase for the pros.

Everybody else'll just say "there's no point" and bail.

What're we left with then? An elite contest with few entries.

This IS intended to be an elite contest. I want the BEST logos. I asked for just logos, but didn't say that a complete proposal was out of the question. I just didn't want a ton of uniform concepts. That's not what this is about. This is about the logo and names.

It wasn't about time - you had the time to take your concept further. But you decided you didn't want to - reread the thread. You said "why bother? there's no competition yet." Meanwhile, I was encouraging you to further your design.

This isn't a contest for pros only - but it is a chance for people to measure their work against the best and therefore improve the quality of their own work.

If you decide to bail, which I hope you don't because you are a talented guy, don't do it because the other people were too good. Would you quit the Stanley Cup finals because you lost the first game? No, you come back the next game with more game.

Who said I was bailing? I laugh in the face of adversity (and usually get decked because of it)! :laugh: But seriously... as much a thrill it is to play in the Stanley Cup, nobody would want to see the NY Bobcats (no offense Snowcap) get absolutely slaughtered by the Colorado Avalanche in 4 straight games of 10+ goal margins. That's what I'm saying here: this contest could possibly become a lot less competitive and interesting if we had one or two pros tearing up the amateurs. That said, I'll be taking the challenge to try to unseat the pros and win won for the amateurs.

Referring to the third paragraph of your post, I believe this is all the result of a miscommunication. We heard "send in a logo for a baseball team in Portland", when really you meant "send in as much stuff as you can for a baseball team in Portland". No biggie, we'll have had worked this out for round 2.

Also, believe me when I say I know exactly where I stand and what I've said: my "why bother?" statement was just as much about my personal desire to keep the logo the way I wanted it (and IMO still the best way) as it was a personal challenge from me to the rest of the board to start participating in the challenge. It wasn't a show of laziness or a lack of desire to do what it takes to win, I was taking a stand for what I believed to be the best option for that Pilots concept.

And I applaud your efforts to try and bring out the best in all of the designers here. This contest has potential of being consistently competitive, and I'm willing to try and help it reach that potential.

WINnipegSigBanner.gif

WebDav-

I have a suggestion for the contest. I believe that just logos isn't necessarily enough. I suggest part of what we should submit is a description of our logos and what not. Sort of like what the Oilers do, made up or not. If your are trying to give us a feel for what graphic designers really do, would this not be something realistic.

WebDav-

I have a suggestion for the contest. I believe that just logos isn't necessarily enough. I suggest part of what we should submit is a description of our logos and what not. Sort of like what the Oilers do, made up or not. If your are trying to give us a feel for what graphic designers really do, would this not be something realistic.

That is a good idea - but I'd leave that up to the designer themselves. Some like to justify their choices, some don't.

I think the first contest was just a starting point.  This should be a growing process both for the contest and its designers.  Even if you are the worst designer in the world it is still a way to get ideas flowing and down on paper.  My process is research, sketches, logo and then branch off from there.

A true identity program for a team is made up of many components. Including unis, wordmarks, logos, websites , mercahndise etc.  One month is never enough time to accomplish this task.  But is enough time to develop a good base.

I will be more than willing to help anyone with their designs, just ask.

As for STL Fanatic's suggestion, please read the PDF attached to the THUNDER PROPOSAL.  I think that allows you to follow the designer through his thought process and shoudl always be included.

Just have to make sure webdav has enough room to host all of it.

Just have to make sure webdav has enough room to host all of it.

I'll probably delete some of the months if I run out of space. Shouldn't be a problem though. If it is, I have another site I could post it on where the hosting is a friend of mine. Basically unlimited space there.

Oregon Thunders PDF is exactly what I am talking about and more. WebDav has mentioned how he wanted to help aspiring designers (like me) by doing this contest. Learning how to bring the entire (well some of) identity together like this will be a tremendous step for me. I suggest anyone entering this contest should try to put something like that together. If you need help ask a pro designer, that is what I plan to do.

Exactly my thoughts STL... the design idea was great (substituting the ax for the bat), but your disadvatage of Paint and the fact that the Oregon Thunder concept is so out-of-this-world impressive combines to leave very little in the way of votes.

Don't feel bad. I put in 2 designs, and still have only 5 more votes than you do, total. We'll get 'em next time.

WINnipegSigBanner.gif

Archived