Discrim's NCAA football tourney

Discrim

for the heck of it, a while back i was thinking about ways to incorporate playoffs, and devised a way to have a playoff but also keep the bowls (the good ones, anyway). The NCAA would never go for it cus-get this-it basically makes all teams equal in terms of where they start. :D

Discrim's College Football Tournament

teams-32 overall

24 involved in the tournament

16 bowl games including the national championship game

regular season ranking setup: a win is worth 2 points.  if a team wins by 28 or more, 2 more points are added to the rank points.  consecutive wins also add to the rank point total(+1 per consecutive win, starting with the second straight).  4 points are achieved on the week when you win your conference, with the 28 point and streak rules still in effect.

setup

25-32nd ranked teams: they will not participate in the tournament, but will play in the bowl games.

top 8: these conference champs will get first round byes.

First round

9-24

10-23

11-22

12-21

13-20

14-19

15-18

16-17

Second round

the first round winners are re-seeded and pitted against the top 8.

1-16

2-15

3-14

4-13

5-12

6-11

7-10

8-9

Quarterfinals

again, we re-seed.  some of the lower-tier bowls start this week.

1-8

2-7

3-6

4-5

New Orleans Bowl

Motor City Bowl

Champs Sports Bowl

Alamo Bowl

Liberty Bowl

Christmas Weekend: Semifinals

last re-seeding, and also a few more bowls

1-4

2-3

Hawaii Bowl

Las Vegas Bowl

Holiday Bowl

Citrus..er, Capital One Bowl

Sun Bowl

New Year's Weekend: National Championship Game: Heisman Cup, rotating between the big bowl sites.  It'll depend on the #1 seed-if it's Michigan, for example, tune in to the Rose Bowl.  If it's FSU, punch in a ticket to the Orange Bowl.

as you might figure, 1 vs 2

Rose Bowl(Big Ten, Pac 10)

Fiesta Bowl(open)

Orange Bowl(ACC, Big East)

Sugar Bowl(SEC)

Peach Bowl(open)

Cotton Bowl(Big XII)

heh, maybe it's too pie in the sky to work, but heh. this is what I came up with and this is what I think would work.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

NO MAS, NO MAS. Enough BCS fixer systems.

semperfi.gif

"It is the soldier, not the reporter, who has given us freedom of the

press. It is the soldier, not the poet, who has given us freedom of

speech. It is the soldier, not the campus organizer, who has given us

the freedom to demonstrate. And it is the soldier who salutes the

flag, serves beneath the flag, whose coffin is draped by the flag, and

who allows the protester to burn the flag."

Marine Chaplain Dennis Edward O' Brien

and scheduling North Alabama State School for the Abnormal.

Honestly, thats the only thing I don't agree with.

Also, I noticed that you would you the bowls in addition to the tournament? Who's in those? Teams beyond the 32 orginal "playoff" teams?

Also, what happens for ties? Not in the games, but at the end of the season? Perhaps a strength of schedule could be a tiebreaker or worked in somehow? Are wins vs. DI-AA counted?

What are the extra 2 confereces involved? You list 6 at the end.

Anyway, I think its a cool idea. Just curious on those things, how you see it. Powers that be will never allow it. But I like it!

I was bored and showed what would have happened this year with Discrim's plan:

Notes: The number behind is the teams total wins (times 2) plus consecutive wins. I didn't ignore I-AA nor did I add 2 for 28 point victories. Mainly that would have made it harder to look up. This was fairily easy and quick. I used the coaches poll to break up ties.

(I kept the numbers there in the playoffs. Sorry if you thought they were scores)

For the playoffs, I just chose teams I thought could have won or if it produced a nice match up in the next round.

playoffs.jpg

To me, it really looks like this would work. Other than North Texas being in it and Toledo being in the top 8, it pretty much got fairily close to the actual standings.

for the heck of it, a while back i was thinking about ways to incorporate playoffs, and devised a way to have a playoff but also keep the bowls (the good ones, anyway). The NCAA would never go for it cus-get this-it basically makes all teams equal in terms of where they start. :D
Discrim's College Football Tournament

teams-32 overall

24 involved in the tournament

16 bowl games including the national championship game

regular season ranking setup: a win is worth 2 points.  if a team wins by 28 or more, 2 more points are added to the rank points.  consecutive wins also add to the rank point total(+1 per consecutive win, starting with the second straight).  4 points are achieved on the week when you win your conference, with the 28 point and streak rules still in effect.

setup

25-32nd ranked teams: they will not participate in the tournament, but will play in the bowl games.

top 8: these conference champs will get first round byes.

First round

9-24

10-23

11-22

12-21

13-20

14-19

15-18

16-17

Second round

the first round winners are re-seeded and pitted against the top 8.

1-16

2-15

3-14

4-13

5-12

6-11

7-10

8-9

Quarterfinals

again, we re-seed.  some of the lower-tier bowls start this week.

1-8

2-7

3-6

4-5

New Orleans Bowl

Motor City Bowl

Champs Sports Bowl

Alamo Bowl

Liberty Bowl

Christmas Weekend: Semifinals

last re-seeding, and also a few more bowls

1-4

2-3

Hawaii Bowl

Las Vegas Bowl

Holiday Bowl

Citrus..er, Capital One Bowl

Sun Bowl

New Year's Weekend: National Championship Game: Heisman Cup, rotating between the big bowl sites.  It'll depend on the #1 seed-if it's Michigan, for example, tune in to the Rose Bowl.  If it's FSU, punch in a ticket to the Orange Bowl.

as you might figure, 1 vs 2

Rose Bowl(Big Ten, Pac 10)

Fiesta Bowl(open)

Orange Bowl(ACC, Big East)

Sugar Bowl(SEC)

Peach Bowl(open)

Cotton Bowl(Big XII)

heh, maybe it's too pie in the sky to work, but heh. this is what I came up with and this is what I think would work.

Hey Discrim, you might want to change the Fiesta Bowl from open to Big XII, The Big XII Champ always goes to the Fiesta Bowl.

like i said, it's basically something i jotted down.

the bowls in addition with teh tournament-as i noted, teams 25 to 32 would go straight to bowls.

blowouts-at least everybody would know what role blowouts play, and Mack Brown can beg til the cows come home, but if Texas is behind Oklahoma the only way they can move up is to beat OU

Division 1-AA-i forgot to factor that in. I do know how I would score those games, though:

1 point for win by 10 or more

no points for win by 10 or less. the reason they schedule 1-AA teams is to get easy wins anyway...right Pitt?

-2 points for loss by any score. see above.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

The biggest problem with having a system where you award points based on results is lower echelon teams will have inflated scores if they dominate a lower conference. Go back a few years to the Randy Moss, Chad Pennington, Byron Leftwich Marshall Teams and they used to beat up on the other teams in the MAC Conference. They theoretically would have been ranked number one followed by North Texas State, Grambling, and North Carolina A&T because all the other teams in those conferences that year sucked and they dominate.

The only way you will ever be able to have a playoff is to split the NCAA up into many more levels than it has now. It's ridiculous to think that Ohio State and Bowling Green are considered equals

My drastic change would be to take the approximately 120 Division 1 schools and break them into 4 Tiers of 30 teams each. Each Tier would be small enough to have scheduling the way the NFL does where there are division foes you play each year (but in college only once each) and you play certain teams based on a rotation etc... Within each Tier you have a playoff system where 8 teams qualify, the winner of the top tier is your National Champion. At the end of each year you take the two teams who qualified for the Championship game in Tiers 4, 3 and 2 and move them up to the next tier and the two teams with the worst records in Tiers 1, 2 and 3 drop to the Tier below (Like they do in the English Premier and First Division in Soccer).

As it stands now Western Michigan is never going to be able to stand up and be proud of their National Championship, but tell me they wouldn't take Pride in their 2008 NCAA Football Tier 2 Championship and elevation to Tier 1 for 2009.

The last couple weeks teams will be battling as hard as ever trying to win a game and stay out of the last two spots and getting relegated to a lower tier, where they would have to qualify for that Tiers Championship Game to get elevated back up.

The biggest problem with having a system where you award points based on results is lower echelon teams will have inflated scores if they dominate a lower conference. Go back a few years to the Randy Moss, Chad Pennington, Byron Leftwich Marshall Teams and they used to beat up on the other teams in the MAC Conference. They theoretically would have been ranked number one followed by North Texas State, Grambling, and North Carolina A&T because all the other teams in those conferences that year sucked and they dominate.

The only way you will ever be able to have a playoff is to split the NCAA up into many more levels than it has now. It's ridiculous to think that Ohio State and Bowling Green are considered equals

My drastic change would be to take the approximately 120 Division 1 schools and break them into 4 Tiers of 30 teams each. Each Tier would be small enough to have scheduling the way the NFL does where there are division foes you play each year (but in college only once each) and you play certain teams based on a rotation etc... Within each Tier you have a playoff system where 8 teams qualify, the winner of the top tier is your National Champion. At the end of each year you take the two teams who qualified for the Championship game in Tiers 4, 3 and 2 and move them up to the next tier and the two teams with the worst records in Tiers 1, 2 and 3 drop to the Tier below (Like they do in the English Premier and First Division in Soccer).

As it stands now Western Michigan is never going to be able to stand up and be proud of their National Championship, but tell me they wouldn't take Pride in their 2008 NCAA Football Tier 2 Championship and elevation to Tier 1 for 2009.

The last couple weeks teams will be battling as hard as ever trying to win a game and stay out of the last two spots and getting relegated to a lower tier, where they would have to qualify for that Tiers Championship Game to get elevated back up.

As much as relegation may make teams play harder, these aren't sports franchises, these are academic institutions. They depend not only on admissions fees, grants, donations but also ticket sales and tv/game revenues. Bowling Green may not be equal to Ohio State (I'd say they're better but that's another thread) but teams like BG and other non-BCS schools make money by playing the big boys and getting on tv. To relegate a team based on performance would leave the financial impact to the school up in the air every year until the final whistle. The SJSU's and Rutgers and Idaho's of the world may not provide high class competition but they have the size to be D-1 schools and should stay as such.

As much as relegation may make teams play harder, these aren't sports franchises, these are academic institutions. They depend not only on admissions fees, grants, donations but also ticket sales and tv/game revenues. Bowling Green may not be equal to Ohio State (I'd say they're better but that's another thread) but teams like BG and other non-BCS schools make money by playing the big boys and getting on tv. To relegate a team based on performance would leave the financial impact to the school up in the air every year until the final whistle. The SJSU's and Rutgers and Idaho's of the world may not provide high class competition but they have the size to be D-1 schools and should stay as such.

Wow, I would love to have some of whatever you are smoking.....

Academic Institutions? NCAA Division 1A Football has nothing to do with getting these athletes an education. Even at a smaller school like Bowling Green. It's a free minor league for the NFL rather than a paid one like MLB or the NHL use.

These athletes should be paid for what they do for these Universities. Schools get rich off the back of these young men then cast a majority of them aside with no real education to show for it. It pisses me off when I hear about an athlete losing his full ride scholarship because he had a career ending injury.

NCAA Football is a bigger business than the NHL, there's nothing wrong with the players sharing in the wealth a little. I'm not saying give them million dollar contracts, but how about a couple hundred bucks a week as if they had a nice part time job like most other students have to have to make ends meet. There would be less corruption if you put a little money in these kids pockets. Make it equitable across the board, a player on the team at Notre Dame and Miami of Ohio gets the same compensation. Make all these universities partake in revenue sharing will even the field a little. It works for the NFL, it can work for the Universities. Just like in the NFL the bigger schools will have additional means of income that will still make them more money then the lower rung schools (luxury boxes, merchandise sales etc...)

And if a team wants to schedule one "out of tier" game a year they can work that in to the system.

I'm not saying that the lower three tiers would not be Division 1. They still get to give out full scholarships, everything they do is Division 1, they just compete against other schools who have historically played at about the same level competitively. The folks at Southwest Texas International A&M (I know not a real school) and the folks at Nebraska really shouldn't be playing each other just so Nebraska can start off 1-0 and SWTIAM can get beat 77-3 but cash a big check for a sellout crowd of 19,500.

I think the advantages of having a system where an Auburn and USC had a chance to play a game to decide the real National Champ outweighs the tradition of having D1 doormats laying down for a few bucks and boosting the egos of the high profile schools.

As much as relegation may make teams play harder, these aren't sports franchises, these are academic institutions. They depend not only on admissions fees, grants, donations but also ticket sales and tv/game revenues. Bowling Green may not be equal to Ohio State (I'd say they're better but that's another thread) but teams like BG  and other non-BCS schools make money by playing the big boys and getting on tv. To relegate a team based on performance would leave the financial impact to the school up in the air every year until the final whistle. The SJSU's and Rutgers and Idaho's of the world may not provide high class competition but they have the size to be D-1 schools and should stay as such.

Academic Institutions? NCAA Division 1A Football has nothing to do with getting these athletes an education. Even at a smaller school like Bowling Green. It's a free minor league for the NFL rather than a paid one like MLB or the NHL use.

These athletes should be paid for what they do for these Universities. Schools get rich off the back of these young men then cast a majority of them aside with no real education to show for it. It pisses me off when I hear about an athlete losing his full ride scholarship because he had a career ending injury.

NCAA Football is a bigger business than the NHL, there's nothing wrong with the players sharing in the wealth a little. I'm not saying give them million dollar contracts, but how about a couple hundred bucks a week as if they had a nice part time job like most other students have to have to make ends meet. There would be less corruption if you put a little money in these kids pockets. Make it equitable across the board, a player on the team at Notre Dame and Miami of Ohio gets the same compensation. Make all these universities partake in revenue sharing will even the field a little. It works for the NFL, it can work for the Universities. Just like in the NFL the bigger schools will have additional means of income that will still make them more money then the lower rung schools (luxury boxes, merchandise sales etc...)

And if a team wants to schedule one "out of tier" game a year they can work that in to the system.

I'm not saying that the lower three tiers would not be Division 1. They still get to give out full scholarships, everything they do is Division 1, they just compete against other schools who have historically played at about the same level competitively. The folks at Southwest Texas International A&M (I know not a real school) and the folks at Nebraska really shouldn't be playing each other just so Nebraska can start off 1-0 and SWTIAM can get beat 77-3 but cash a big check for a sellout crowd of 19,500.

I think the advantages of having a system where an Auburn and USC had a chance to play a game to decide the real National Champ outweighs the tradition of having D1 doormats laying down for a few bucks and boosting the egos of the high profile schools.

Hi there mouthful of consonants. You need to back up the 420 accustaions before you get yourself in trouble. Show me anywhere in my post where I mentioned the athletes? Ok then. You can have all the opinions you want about why the kids are there, but it might surprise you that there are other people there besides the ones that were recruited by the athletic department. Calm down next time, then write. It might make more sense. :D

Anyway, to your point, with a system like this, it would almost be guaranteed that no school below the top level would get on tv. What would be the incentive when you have such a powerful division at the top you could show every weekend? Talk about the rich getting richer. At least with the current system, you get those early games with small schools making it on tv and later on, the smaller schools in the bigger conferences benefitting from being in a BCS conference also getting on tv.

As much as relegation may make teams play harder, these aren't sports franchises, these are academic institutions. They depend not only on admissions fees, grants, donations but also ticket sales and tv/game revenues. Bowling Green may not be equal to Ohio State (I'd say they're better but that's another thread) but teams like BG  and other non-BCS schools make money by playing the big boys and getting on tv. To relegate a team based on performance would leave the financial impact to the school up in the air every year until the final whistle. The SJSU's and Rutgers and Idaho's of the world may not provide high class competition but they have the size to be D-1 schools and should stay as such.

I agree with you to a point.

But I made ends meet as a College Athlete, without a scholarship. I'd practice, work out, play, and I held down a 25 hours a week at a job. And I got good grades. It was at a D3 school, but the academic standards were higher than that of your typical D-1 School. For one, I HAD to go to class. I couldn't skip or my grade would suffer. I digress...

An athlete doesn't need anything more than room and board. He's got a roof, he's got food, he gets his books paid for for the love of god! What else should you give them? Its their fault if they don't take care of themselves in the classroom. Yes, the university makes big money off them, but they are giving them nearly 30 thousand dollars a year in free tuition, room, board, books, fees, etc.

There's no reason the NCAA should have to support anything outside of school. And who pays for it? Who gets money and who doesn't? Why does a football player deserve more money than a volleyball player? They both can't get jobs right now cause they are D1 athletes. Neither can accept money. If you hold them at the same standards, how don't you pay them the same amount?

Yes the football teams make more money. But that money typically pays for the entire athletic program. Don't forget about the swimming and diving teams that opperate at a loss all year. Something has to pay for that. They have to have fundraisers, D1 Swimmers/Gymnastics/etc. have to sell candy bars to get to travel to meets. Ever see a football player going door to door?

What they should do is allow athletes to get jobs. If you allow them to get part time jobs, they learn responsiblity, time management, and earn a paycheck.

Dexter Manley left Oklahoma State University after 4 years unable to read or write. Now there is an academic institution.

semperfi.gif

Don't forget Title IX. Who do you think it is that supports nearly every womens team, at nearly every Division I school? Football.

semperfi.gif

Hi there mouthful of consonants. You need to back up the 420 accustaions before you get yourself in trouble. Show me anywhere in my post where I mentioned the athletes? Ok then. You can have all the opinions you want about why the kids are there, but it might surprise you that there are other people there besides the ones that were recruited by the athletic department. Calm down next time, then write. It might make more sense. :D

Anyway, to your point, with a system like this, it would almost be guaranteed that no school below the top level would get on tv. What would be the incentive when you have such a powerful division at the top you could show every weekend? Talk about the rich getting richer. At least with the current system, you get those early games with small schools making it on tv and later on, the smaller schools in the bigger conferences benefitting from being in a BCS conference also getting on tv.

First off, let me set the record straight. In my post there were

160 A's

214 E's

120 I's

148 O's

51 U's

So I don't know why I get the title of Mr. Consonants.

I understand that every University has students other than those on Athletic Scholarship, but how many fans pay an admission fee to see a Sophmore majoring in Computer Science turn in one of his labs? The Football and Basketball teams at these schools generate such vast amounts of money that the University could pay a stipend to all of the Athletes on Scholarship (and even the one's who make the team as walkons) in all the sports. I agree that the price of a full ride scholarship at some of these Private Institutions is huge compensation, but if the Universities weren't making this money back with plenty to spare they would not be giving them out. A Division 1 athlete would have a hard time holding down a part time job and fulfilling his responsibilities to the University both athletically and academically. I know there are LOTS of Student Athletes who do balance these activities (I did while playing Soccer for a Division 3 school and Bartending at a local Bar). But if I didn't have to work I guarantee I would have done much better at my studies. So if the Universities can afford some pocket money for the athletes (and I believe they can) they should be willing to share the wealth.

Right now D1 Football Schools can have what 85? players on Scholarship. The NFL gets away with 52 man rosters, the Universities could cut back to 70 Scholarships and the amount saved would let them cut checks for all the Athletes at the school for some spending money.

I know my system with the tiers would not be perfect but it was just a quickly posted alternative to what Discrim posted. And what they use now in no way can be called successful and what Discrim posted wouldn't have changed the issues of deserving teams being on the outside looking in.

As far as TV exposure, other than regional sports channels (which would still carry their local "lower level" teams) how often do you see the lower echelon teams on TV now? ESPN, the family of FOX Sports Net and the Networks show games on Tuesdays, Thursday, Fridays and Saturdays. There would be plenty of opportunity for exposure. And as far as the Rich getting Richer from TV, I also mentioned that the Universities would partake in Revenue Sharing. IF the NFL didn't share TV revenue the Arizona Cardinals would never get on TV on Sundays either.

By the Way I am perfectly Calm when I type up MY Opinions, it's called my opinion because It's mine and I am allowed to have one.

I don't know that very many athletic departments are opperateing at much of a profit. There are a few, the big ones. But with the NCAA everything has to be fair. Every single athete in every sport would have to be paid the same. The Florida State's and the Michigans can afford alot, but a place like North Texas can't. They don't have the funds to supply every single athlete in their programs with a weekly check. And you can't single out the football players and only give them checks. It would never fly. Plus, that defeats the entire purpose.

I still don't understand why an athlete needs money anyway. Its not for food, its not for shelter. He's got both those things. Not for books, not for tuition. He's given those too.

If he wants a playstation game, get a job over the summer like the rest of us do. Wants to see a movie, get a job over the summer like the rest of us do. And get used to the job, he's gonna have one out of school cause most of them ain't playin' football for a living.

Oh wait, most of them have jobs. They are given high paying jobs where they don't have to show up. Or they make 25 bucks an hour working road construction in the summer, holding up the stop sign all day long. (I saw an Illinois Basketball player doing that one summer)

Why do they deserve to be paid? They made a choice to play college sports. They ARE getting something in return, free education. And its not just private schools that cost nearly 30 grand a year. In state tuition for the university of illinois is around 12-14 grand. After room/board/books/fees/etc. the athletes will recieve about 25,000 in education and other things that go with it.

And in response to the computer science major thing....how many athletic alumnius donate millions back to the university years later. VERY few. How many times do you hear about a computer science major that made it big donate a million or 10 million to his alma mater?

I'm not attacking or saying you are wrong. I used to feel the same way, the School makes money off them, why can't you pay them? But once I lived the life of a student athlete, at a smaller scale, once I realized how privilaged these guys are while I write my student loan check every month, it kinda changed my opinion.

I still don't understand why an athlete needs money anyway. Its not for food, its not for shelter. He's got both those things. Not for books, not for tuition. He's given those too.

I just want to reply on last time and then I'm done and it's put to bed as far as i am concerned....

A Student Athlete should only go to class, practice and then to the cafeteria for meals it what your saying? Why does a student athlete need money in pocket? Free time. Shouldn't a student athlete be able to afford a movie or a bite to eat off campus on a Saturday Night or Sunday?

One thing I keep bringing up that everyone keeps avoiding is the "Revenue Sharing" portion of the proposal. Ohio State and Eastern Washington will get the same bucket of money from TV Revenue, Ticket Sales etc... The traditionally richer schools will still have a bigger war chest from things like Luxury Boxes, Alumni Contributions and Merchandising. But with the reduction in the number of scholarships for football alone, there would be enough to give every athlete $50 a week "pocket money" even the girls field hockey, men's tennis etc...

It seems like a case of jealousy when I hear someone say, those athletes get enough they should get a summer job like I did. They should have to pay their own tuition like I did.

Plenty of Athletes have sent generous donations back to their Alma Maters.

My plan would be a little simplier. I think 24 teams is too many. The Champion of each conference would get an automatic bid. Then there would be 3 at large bids (so Nortre Dame wouldn't complain about not getting in). Here would be the bracket if this were applied this season.

Play-in Game

1. Calfornia @ North Texas

2. Georgia @ Texas

1st Round

1. winner of play in game 1 @ Louisville

2. winner of play in game 2 @ Virgina Tech

3. Toledo @ Michigan

4. Pittsburgh @ Boise State

2nd Round

winner of round 1 game 1 @ USC

winner of round 1 game 2 @ Auburn

winner of round 1 game 3 @ Oklahoma

winner of round 1 game 4 @ Utah

Hi there mouthful of consonants. You need to back up the 420 accustaions before you get yourself in trouble. Show me anywhere in my post where I mentioned the athletes? Ok then. You can have all the opinions you want about why the kids are there, but it might surprise you that there are other people there besides the ones that were recruited by the athletic department. Calm down next time, then write. It might make more sense.  :D

First off, let me set the record straight. In my post there were

160 A's

214 E's

120 I's

148 O's

51 U's

So I don't know why I get the title of Mr. Consonants.

Wow. I appreciate your dedication to actually count the vowels you used in your post. The joke was, in fact, in reference to your user name.

I understand that every University has students other than those on Athletic Scholarship, but how many fans pay an admission fee to see a Sophmore majoring in Computer Science turn in one of his labs? The Football and Basketball teams at these schools generate such vast amounts of money that the University could pay a stipend to all of the Athletes on Scholarship (and even the one's who make the team as walkons) in all the sports. I agree that the price of a full ride scholarship at some of these Private Institutions is huge compensation, but if the Universities weren't making this money back with plenty to spare they would not be giving them out. A Division 1 athlete would have a hard time holding down a part time job and fulfilling his responsibilities to the University both athletically and academically.  I know there are LOTS of Student Athletes who do balance these activities (I did while playing Soccer for a Division 3 school and Bartending at a local Bar).  But if I didn't have to work I guarantee I would have done much better at my studies. So if the Universities can afford some pocket money for the athletes (and I believe they can) they should be willing to share the wealth.

Right now D1 Football Schools can have what 85? players on Scholarship. The NFL gets away with 52 man rosters, the Universities could cut back to 70 Scholarships and the amount saved would let them cut checks for all the Athletes at the school for some spending money.

By that rationale, I should be getting way more money at work because my revenue is higher than some of the other departments in the store. Sure, we're a collective enitity but apparently those who bring in more money are more important and therefore should be rewarded as such. Nevermind the fact that some other managers may work as hard or harder than me.

I know my system with the tiers would not be perfect but it was just a quickly posted alternative to what Discrim posted. And what they use now in no way can be called successful and what Discrim posted wouldn't have changed the issues of deserving teams being on the outside looking in.

I'll bite my tongue.

By the Way I am perfectly Calm when I type up MY Opinions, it's called my opinion because It's mine and I am allowed to have one.

Yeah, it shows when you use bold letters to make your point. I was simply pointing out that in response to my somewhat small criticisism to your original post, you first referred to me as a pothead and then went off on a wild tangent about players being able to make money, a topic that I didn't even mention in my response nor is what this thread is about.

Thanks for playing. :)

A Student Athlete should only go to class, practice and then to the cafeteria for meals it what your saying? Why does a student athlete need money in pocket? Free time. Shouldn't a student athlete be able to afford a movie or a bite to eat off campus on a Saturday Night or Sunday?

No, I don't think they should only do those things. I think they should expierience college life in its entirety. Time management, go to class, take real classes, struggle to pay for things they want. The NCAA does not restrict the players getting jobs in the off season. They can earn their money for the year like millions of college students all over the country do.

Revenue sharing? Why would Notre Dame pay Eastern Hickory State any money at all? The big colleges have build up brands over years and years of academic excellence and athletic excellence. The problem with this also is you have both public institutions and private institutions. Its not fesible. It's definatly an idea, and it's a way to even the playing field a bit. It just doesn't seem that possilble.

I don't think there are that many issues in college sports that are out of hand. If anything, graduation rates of athletes is what we should worry about, not if we should pay them to not graduate.

That...and a football playoff! :)

Archived