Get Fuzzy - 2/19/05

JQK

I got this in my email today (as I do everyday....I subscribe to comics.com), and I found it quite amusing. However, one thing did make me wonder: hockey "strike"? Maybe Darby Conley should stick to rugby and Red Sox talk.... :therock:

Wagner Athletic Group

11-2 Saskatoon Steeds (WAFL)-NFL-2014 Western Conference Champions / 8-5 Calgary Pronghorns (TNFF)-CFL-2014 Confederation Cup XI Champions

14-6-2 Saskatoon Yellowheads (XHL)-NHL-1st, Gretzky Conference / 5-4-0 Saskatoon Czars (MLH)-AHL-T2nd, Calder Conference

7-1-6 VfL Dortmund (Weltliga)-Bundesliga-3rd, League / 5-1-5 West End AFC (WFL)-EPL-T5th, League

14-7 Saskatoon Sheiks (AA)-MLB-2014 Founder's Cup Champions

Lockout/Strike?

Po-tay-to/Po-tah-to...

Hardly.

In this case it might as well be.

In fact, allow me to quote Pete Cugno's "Shut The Puck Up" song.

"Call it a strike or a lockout, Call it what you wish, I call it a kick in the ass to the fans who made you rich..."

It may be that way to the people on the outside, but when you are one of the two parties, the difference is much greater. I went through this last year as our union negotiated our contract with our employers.

Lockout/Strike?

Po-tay-to/Po-tah-to...

Hardly.

"Call it a strike or a lockout, Call it what you wish, I call it a kick in the ass to the fans who made you rich..."

It may be that way to the people on the outside, but when you are one of the two parties, the difference is much greater. I went through this last year as our union negotiated our contract with our employers.

There was gonna be a work stoppage either way.

I know a lockout is imposed by the employer and a strike is imposed by the employees.

Doesn't much matter in this case.

Regardless, you gotta admit Bucky one pretty damn funny cat....:D

Wagner Athletic Group

11-2 Saskatoon Steeds (WAFL)-NFL-2014 Western Conference Champions / 8-5 Calgary Pronghorns (TNFF)-CFL-2014 Confederation Cup XI Champions

14-6-2 Saskatoon Yellowheads (XHL)-NHL-1st, Gretzky Conference / 5-4-0 Saskatoon Czars (MLH)-AHL-T2nd, Calder Conference

7-1-6 VfL Dortmund (Weltliga)-Bundesliga-3rd, League / 5-1-5 West End AFC (WFL)-EPL-T5th, League

14-7 Saskatoon Sheiks (AA)-MLB-2014 Founder's Cup Champions

Lockout/Strike?

Po-tay-to/Po-tah-to...

Hardly.

There was gonna be a work stoppage either way.

I know a lockout is imposed by the employer and a strike is imposed by the employees.

Doesn't much matter in this case.

And thus

Po-Tay-to

Po-tah-to

Both sides called the whole thing off

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

Lockout/Strike?

Po-tay-to/Po-tah-to...

Hardly.

For what? I'm not trying to show you up or anything, but a strike/lockout is tremendously different for a shop in which folks are fighting for healthcare and a 25 cent raise and one in which millionaires are fighting with bilionaires.

I'm all for unions, but in sports, its ridiculous.

I can't support them one bit, or feel saddened at a season lost because of either side's greed.

Lockout/Strike?

Po-tay-to/Po-tah-to...

Hardly.

For what? I'm not trying to show you up or anything, but a strike/lockout is tremendously different for a shop in which folks are fighting for healthcare and a 25 cent raise and one in which millionaires are fighting with bilionaires.

I can't support them one bit, or feel saddened at a season lost because of either side's greed.

It's different since the NHLPA is not really a union.

I'm in a Union currently negotiating a new CBA, and there are some significant differences this time around-

I know the difference between a strike & a lockout---but in the case of the NHL vs NHLPA--it really makes no difference--if they weren't locked out the players would have striked--and as I said they're not a real union...

If they were then the CBA should be along the lines of salaries based on position and experience, with extras for things such as power play & penalty kill.

It would, of course include bonuses for team and individual achievements.

I can't go to my boss and negotiate a better deal inside or outside of the CBA we have.

Why should the NHL players if it's a union?

SO comparisons of unions and how they work don't do it for me in terms of looking at the NHL vs NHLPA.

Lockout/strike--yes the words are different & have different meanings, and yes there could be some legal distinctions--but the end result is the same--and so for me the po-tay-to, po-tah-to thing is correct.

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

Lockout/Strike?

Po-tay-to/Po-tah-to...

Hardly.

No matter the amount of money involved, the point of the union is to protect the wages and benefits of it's members. A lot of people felt the same way about us (grocery employees) as they do about the hockey players, thinking we get way too much for doing too little. That could be true; I'm not one to say. So while it may seem ludicrous to you that they would be fighting over milions of dollars, the basic priniciple of the union is still there which is to work for it's members best interests.

Lockout/strike--yes the words are different & have different meanings, and yes there could be some legal distinctions--but the end result is the same--and so for me the po-tay-to, po-tah-to thing is correct.

edit: ***

Archived