NBA Awards Thread

Gary

I hate how the NBA does their awards they almost get lost in the shuffle. The NHl does the Awards show which can be lame at times, but I think thats how all sports should do it including MLB, whihc does an ok job announcing them in November. But doing it durring the playoffs on press releases kills it they should be celeberated more and given more of a spotlight.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Reports have Steve Nash winning MVP by a "close vote".

I think Shaq was the best player this season, not only was he a domanant player as he usually is, but he was the reason the Heat had the best record in the East. His injury at the end of the season probably hurt his chances though.

6uXNWAo.png

Im glad Nash one he was more valuable then Shaq, in that without him the Suns would be mediocre at best while without Shaq the Heat will still have Dwayne Wade they would not be the top team but they will still be pretty good.

ecyclopedia.gif

champssigtank.png

Im glad Nash one he was more valuable then Shaq, in that without him the Suns would be mediocre at best while without Shaq the Heat will still have Dwayne Wade they would not be the top team but they will still be pretty good.

Actually, this season the Suns had a winning record without Nash...the Heat blew without the Diesel.

Obviously, I think Shaq should've won.

The Suns went 0-5 during a January stretch without Nash, I dont care what the Heat did with out Shaq in April when the season was settled and they were not pllaying full speed with the top seed clinched.

ecyclopedia.gif

champssigtank.png

The Suns went 0-5 during a January stretch without Nash, I dont care what the Heat did with out Shaq in April when the season was settled and they were not pllaying full speed with the top seed clinched.

So you're telling me that the Miami Heat, minus Shaquille O'Neal would be better than the Phoenix Suns, minus Steve Nash? Are you insane?

Just to compare, let's look at the starting lineups each team would have.

Miami:

C Alonzo Mourning

PF Udonis Haslem

SF Eddie Jones

SG Dwyane Wade

PG Damon Jones

Phoenix:

C Amare Stoudamire

PF Shawn Marion

SF Quentin Richardson

SG Joe Johnson

PG Leandro Barbosa

Phoenix's frontcourt alone would beat the Heat with those lineups. Also consider the fact that EVERYONE'S stats on the Heat drastically improved because of O'Neal's presence on the floor. Shaq's MVP status has been proven; he took the Magic to the Finals, he took the Lakers to the Finals (and won THREE titles), and I expect him to take the Heat to the finals. And if you think his presence is overrated, take a look at the Magic and Lakers the years after Shaq left them. Nash left the Mavericks, and Dallas is pretty much exactly the same formidability as they were when Nash was their point guard. Also keep in mind that Nash can only do so much as a small guard; he can certainly run a great fast break and create some opportunities on the floor, but he isn't as dominating and significant as O'Neal is. I will continue the debate if you'd like. :therock:

Last year the Suns lost 50 games this year they won 60.

They added players other than Steve Nash. I hope you know that.

I don't think just adding Quentin Richardson to the mix with Nash is adding "more" it's adding "one" addition with Nash. Plus if you have ever watched the Phoenix Suns without Nash they are not the most put together team out there. Just consider him the glue to the team. With the Heat Last year they were the 4th seed in the Eastern Conference Playoffs and were only out like 3 games for the 2nd seed. When they added Shaq it was just a few game improvement. So if you see. Adding Q with Nash doesn't mean "MORE". Plus Shaq in the last month of the season thanks to his injury and flu like symptoms he did help his team that much in the last month.

Plus Shaq in the last month of the season thanks to his injury and flu like symptoms he did help his team that much in the last month.

Miami had already clinched the #1 seed in the conference; O'Neal wasn't going to play much anyway.

I find it hard to believe that everyone here is in favor of Nash somehow winning the MVP award. Shaq folks need to speak up.

Plus Shaq in the last month of the season thanks to his injury and flu like symptoms he did help his team that much in the last month.

Miami had already clinched the #1 seed in the conference; O'Neal wasn't going to play much anyway.

I find it hard to believe that everyone here is in favor of Nash somehow winning the MVP award. Shaq folks need to speak up.

I think Iverson is the MVP. It might be from homerism but he was top 5 in pts (#1), assists and steals. Without him the Sixers would have a top 5 pick.

But since we didnt win 50+ games, and since the MVP award goes to the best player on the best team usually, he wont get it.

I agree with Nash being the MVP. Without him, the Suns suffers from lack of leadership. I'm sorry, but Leandro Barbosa is not as great as Nash, and he can't make up the lost of talent Nash brings to the table. Without Shaq, the Heat is still good. They have Alanzo Mourning, who's still have great stuff left. My evalulation is how good the team is without them. I'm not convinced that the Suns would be as good without Nash than the Heat is without Shaq.

Miami:

C Alonzo Mourning

PF Udonis Haslem

SF Eddie Jones

SG Dwyane Wade

PG Damon Jones

Phoenix:

C Amare Stoudamire

PF Shawn Marion

SF Quentin Richardson

SG Joe Johnson

PG Leandro Barbosa

You haven't convince me. Barbosa is just not as great as Nash, and the offense suffers greatly without Steve at the point. Look at Zo's numbers in the playoffs. There's no dropoff of production with either Shaq or Zo at the center position. Your logic here is greatly flawed.

I think Iverson is the MVP. It might be from homerism but he was top 5 in pts (#1), assists and steals. Without him the Sixers would have a top 5 pick.

But since we didnt win 50+ games, and since the MVP award goes to the best player on the best team usually, he wont get it.

I think for the first time EVER, I agree with you. W/O Iverson, they might have been worse than the Hawks (not likely, but you catch my drift). But them not doing much in the playoffs, and then Shaq and Nash had huge years, so it was bound to be one of their years. But I suppose for those outside of the bandwagon, Iverson is the people's MVP.

Iverson might've had his team not struggled for an eight seed. Basically, LeBron wouldn't have won it had the Cavs gotten the 7th or 8th seed... so I can't possibly see how Iverson could've, because LeBron is the more efficient player and had less help.

But that's neither here nor there. Shaq should've gotten the award. The Heat were a what, 4 or 5 seed last year? And that team atleast had Lamar Odom, Caron Butler and Brian Grant (who was decent at the time) -- This Heat team without Shaq would be nowhere near the playoffs, especially considering they didn't pick up Mourning until well into the season.

Plus, I think Nash's team is far too talented. You can't tell me that you couldn't throw half the PG's in the league into the Suns line-up and get very, very similar production.

The fact that Shaq plays Center, a position it's not usually easy to replace, should've clinched it for him.

IUe6Hvh.png

Iverson might've had his team not struggled for an eight seed. Basically, LeBron wouldn't have won it had the Cavs gotten the 7th or 8th seed... so I can't possibly see how Iverson could've, because LeBron is the more efficient player and had less help.

But that's neither here nor there. Shaq should've gotten the award. The Heat were a what, 4 or 5 seed last year? And that team atleast had Lamar Odom, Caron Butler and Brian Grant (who was decent at the time) -- This Heat team without Shaq would be nowhere near the playoffs, especially considering they didn't pick up Mourning until well into the season.

Plus, I think Nash's team is far too talented. You can't tell me that you couldn't throw half the PG's in the league into the Suns line-up and get very, very similar production.

The fact that Shaq plays Center, a position it's not usually easy to replace, should've clinched it for him.

We got the 7th seed BTW. One game away from the 6th seed (damn Bulls!). And before Webber, LeBron had better people around him.

Nope. And Webber would be an argument towards Iverson having the worse team :P . Shame on me for buying into that pick-up -- The Kings actually got the better end of that deal. LeBron had nobody, and by the end of the season, the team seemed afraid to shoot the ball. But either way, it doesn't mean anything with everybody having drank the Steve Nash Kool-aid.

And yeah, I forgot that you played Detroit in the first round. But either way, the Sixers being in the playoff wasn't a certainty until very, very, very late -- and in the East, that's sad.

IUe6Hvh.png

Kings got better? :lol:

If they still had Webber they might be playing Phoenix tomorrow. They had the 4th seed when they had Webber and they finished in 6th. If thats not getting worse, I dont know what is. And without Webber we would of missed the playoffs. We were below .500 before him. And he did improve the team they just didnt have enough time to gel. When they finally were playing good he got hurt.

Archived