NBA Awards Thread

Gary

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah Ben deserved it, but it wasnt the first award. Simmons winning Most Improved was the first. I think Larry Hughes deserved to be top 3 in DPOY voting, but Bruce Bowen and Marcus Camby took 2nd and 3rd, respectively.

My boys from UConn did well. :D

I'm not shocked that Okafor beat out Gordon. After all, he did have 47 double-doubles. A lot of people thought that that Bobcats team should've been the worst expansion team ever -- they only won 18 games because of Okafor.

IUe6Hvh.png

My Celtics bias aside, I think Ricky Davis should've taken the 6th man award over Gordon. Compare their stats in the second half.

But consider that Ben Gordon scored double digits in the 4th quarter 22 times this year, which was fourth most behind LeBron, Kobe, and Gilbert Arenas. The stats for the two were pretty much equal (slight edge to Davis in most) which favors Ben Gordon because he played eight minutes less per game.

IUe6Hvh.png

I don't get why the NBA has to produce an award for the best 6th man (oxymoron?) every year. It pretty much rewards a player for being the best player that can't crack their team's starting lineup. In other words, it rewards mediocrity.

I don't like it. :(

6uXNWAo.png

I don't get why the NBA has to produce an award for the best 6th man (oxymoron?) every year. It pretty much rewards a player for being the best player that can't crack their team's starting lineup. In other words, it rewards mediocrity.

I don't like it. :(

I don't think that's true. I guess that is one way to interpret it -- but you can't tell me that Ben Gordon isn't good enough to be a starter for the Bulls.

Some players, while very talented, play styles to where they're most effective for short period of times. Manu Ginobli would be an example -- he's effective as a Starter, but a man like him off the bench is absolutely lethal.

IUe6Hvh.png

You obviously didn't watch Ginobli before the DEN/SA series began. As long as he's on the court, he is always a threat, starting or not.

Back to the 6th man, I still think its a pretty cheap award nomatter who winds up winning it. I would compare it to the NFL giving out an award for the best special teams player of the year. Who cares??

6uXNWAo.png

You obviously didn't watch Ginobli before the DEN/SA series began. As long as he's on the court, he is always a threat, starting or not.

Back to the 6th man, I still think its a pretty cheap award nomatter who winds up winning it. I would compare it to the NFL giving out an award for the best special teams player of the year. Who cares??

it signifies the best Bench Player in the NBA, Alot of people have no idea that without a great bench you can't have a good team.

I agree that having depth on the bench is important, i'm not questioning that. I just don't understand why the NBA would produce such an award for players that aren't good enough to start. Or when the player is good enough to start, but for some insane reason don't (such as Ben Gordon), end up winning the award. It kinda contradicts the true meaning of "6th Man" and why it's awarded.

6uXNWAo.png

I agree that having depth on the bench is important, i'm not questioning that. I just don't understand why the NBA would produce such an award for players that aren't good enough to start. Or when the player is good enough to start, but for some insane reason don't (such as Ben Gordon), end up winning the award. It kinda contradicts the true meaning of "6th Man" and why it's awarded.

I always thought it was for role players who provide a huge spark coming off the bench. Guys like Toni Kukoc back in the day, who came off the bench to ignite the Bulls once the starters had become tired or complacent.

WINnipegSigBanner.gif

You obviously didn't watch Ginobli before the DEN/SA series began.  As long as he's on the court, he is always a threat, starting or not.

I agree -- but the team seems better to me as a whole when he comes off of the bench, he seems a lot more effective -- Popovich must agree with me or else Manu would've started all the games when they began to matter, no?

And on the subject of Ben Gordon -- that 'insane reason' is because Ben Gordon commits to many turnovers. Until he can get that under control, he's most effective off of the bench.

IUe6Hvh.png

Archived