goin down under and back

Discrim

like most Americans, my first exposure to Aussie rules as far as seeing people play it was by chance. Stumbled upon an AFL highlight show FSN was carrying last week. Very simple concept to grasp, surprisingly, and with the help of our good buddy the Internet I'm learning more daily. Thanks to our other buddy rmered and his AFL jumper site, I was inspired to do some college Aussie rules kits...so here we go!

a note: before you jump all over me for both UW jumpers being the same color, take a look at the AFL jumper history site. it seems most teams use more or less the same dominant color for both home and away, and a couple clubs (Essendon, Richmond at least) only use one jumper (though with the Bombers, I'd already known that from a past crossover).

Wisconsin, based on Geelong except it's red...home is the top one, away is the bottom

BadgersAussie.gif

Erskine, home (top) based on Essendon in keeping with the aero theme (Flying Fleet, Bombers respectively), away (bottom) based on Adelaide Crows away

ErskineAussie.gif

in hindsight, I did screw up a bit-I put things a bit too low...eh, thems the breaks. I woulda unveiled a Navy set too, but windows draw was being a bitch for some reason. and no, while it's gonna draw inspiration from Fremantle, teh anchor will be notably different.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well AFL really isn't my game, but I watch it on occasion, so here goes:

I think the red is too prominent in the Wisconsin Home. It's rare for a team which has such a bright primary colour to feature it so heavily.

I think there's a better balance between the red and the white in the away jersey, however the black socks are irritating me. I think the rest of the away is great though.

The Wisconsin numbers don't look very AFL to me. More NFL. I don't know if it's just my not having paid enough attention to the current state of AFL, but the numbers tend to be elongated and simplified from memory.

I'll assume the logos aren't yours, but rather are established team logos. I don't understand why there's one 'W' with stroke and another with drop-shadow, especially both featured on the same uniform.

The Erskine jerseys are really nice. To my eye, the Crows look suits the colours better than the Bombers jersey does, but it's perhaps just because the Essendon colours look so good on that jersey.

As an alternate style, did you try the Collingwood or North Melbourne styles for the Home jersey? I think the vertical and horizontal lines not matching on the Home and Away styles could work quite well, but the colours might look silly vertical. Just feel that there should be some sort of black in the home jersey as well as the away one.

I don't like the Erskine wordmark without the pilot, but again, I'm not going to criticise logos much, because I don't know the teams or their histories.

Overall, I like them, I think, especially considering that in the U.S. you're not saturated by AFL paraphernalia day in, day out. Quite faithful to the design styles of the league.

Even if I do think that red and white is for the Swans and the Swans only :).

Dragons.gifPreds.gifTitans.gifSonics.gif

Crests.gif

I like these designs. The change in colors on the W looks like something a team would do to tell them apart.

As far as red being a dominant color, look at Sydney, though the bottom front is mostly white, the uniform back is almost entirely red.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

As far as red being a dominant color, look at Sydney, though the bottom front is mostly white, the uniform back is almost entirely red.

Point taken, but I think that that Guernsey works so well because of the fact that the front is so white, it breaks up the red.

It also might be a side-effect of a flat template where no tone means no subtle gradation of the bright crimson which you would get in actual game situations.

Crests.gif

Well AFL really isn't my game, but I watch it on occasion, so here goes:

I think the red is too prominent in the Wisconsin Home. It's rare for a team which has such a bright primary colour to feature it so heavily.

I think there's a better balance between the red and the white in the away jersey, however the black socks are irritating me. I think the rest of the away is great though.

The Wisconsin numbers don't look very AFL to me. More NFL. I don't know if it's just my not having paid enough attention to the current state of AFL, but the numbers tend to be elongated and simplified from memory.

I'll assume the logos aren't yours, but rather are established team logos. I don't understand why there's one 'W' with stroke and another with drop-shadow, especially both featured on the same uniform.

The Erskine jerseys are really nice. To my eye, the Crows look suits the colours better than the Bombers jersey does, but it's perhaps just because the Essendon colours look so good on that jersey.

As an alternate style, did you try the Collingwood or North Melbourne styles for the Home jersey? I think the vertical and horizontal lines not matching on the Home and Away styles could work quite well, but the colours might look silly vertical. Just feel that there should be some sort of black in the home jersey as well as the away one.

I don't like the Erskine wordmark without the pilot, but again, I'm not going to criticise logos much, because I don't know the teams or their histories.

Overall, I like them, I think, especially considering that in the U.S. you're not saturated by AFL paraphernalia day in, day out. Quite faithful to the design styles of the league.

Even if I do think that red and white is for the Swans and the Swans only :).

before I forget to say it, Kit, :welcome: and yeah, the logos from both sets are established logos, though UW is more nationally known than Erskine.

Wisconsin is red, though black is used in varying degrees depending on the program. The amount of black I used here is actually a lot more than is usual for UW teams, mainly because of the stripes...it was either this, model it after Carlton or use a different red for the W.

Erskine, looking at it again, I probably woulda modeled both jumpers after Adelaide, even though I like the Essendon-style version as well. Basically, the Crows style reminds me of one of my favorite hockey jerseys, the 'barberpoles' worn by the Ottawa 67s.

I'm saving the Kangaroo style for Iowa ;) basically, the tiger hawk U of I uses will translate well to a Roos-style jersey...thanks for the compliments, and I give you the U.S. Naval Academy, better known as Navy (unlike the previous two, the logo is my own work)

NavyAussie.gif

2016cubscreamsig.png

Wow!

I *really* like the away uni on that Navy one.

I can't imagine how the Blues would work for any team other than the blues (isn't it just an ultramarine with the white CFC on the front and white trim?), but yeah, I understand now.

Nice logo on the Navy too, very appropriate.

Crests.gif

I like them all! The Navy get-up is somewhat like the Freemantle Dockers, but still very cool none the less. Nice job!

Detroit Dragons - 2010 ULL Gait Cup Champions

Detroit Cougars - 2010 and 2011 WAFA Wills Cup Champions

these are pretty good, i'd rather see these teams playing than Boring Sydney Swans. Kit, welcome, another skip on board is great! discrim, i like the navy ones, the away is great.....also the away ones would have to go with White shorts if your gonna follow AFL rules properly....Any colour for home, white for away unless your Sydney which for TV always wear red......i like the erskine logo and guernseys

twitter.com/thebrainofMatt

Now we're talking.

Discrim. That Navy Away one is a beauty.

You are quite right, Away jumpers are more a marketing initiative than any real attempt to prevent a clash.

Essendon don't have a clash jumper, and have worn the same uniform since 1873.

(Yes, Eighteen. Seventy Three)

essend2.gif

I once did a Penn State footy jumper, do you mind if I post it in your thread?

I'll take it down if you don't like it.

Penn-State-Footy.gif

PS Kit, Carlton are the Blues, their colours are called Old Dark Navy.

PPS: Thanks for mentioning my site. It's not quite nhluniforms.com, but it's as good as I can do right now. My other page is for designs worn in preseason games, but not Regular season games.

Preseason jumper history

Oh, and I've got a site.

Footy Jumpers Dot Com

rmered, I don't mind at all...the more, teh merrier :) just as long as you don't do anything as ugly as West Coast's old gradient :P

2016cubscreamsig.png

no... im sick of animals warpping around the the side like that, at least it has noi stripe down the sides liike the Roos an Lions alts

That was what I was basing it on.

I did design the Penn St one from scratch though.

(If I can do it, why can't Reebok for the CFL?)

Oh, and I've got a site.

Footy Jumpers Dot Com

yeah i know, the lions one is good though, better than the roos, i liked the Roos one from a few years back, the one that was mainly whit with the logo sort of across the front...not exactly their logo but close to it.... the Roos used to have the best away jumpers but this one they have now sucks although it is better than their Wizard Wok jumper

this might be the last college one for a bit, after this one I have some AFL-NFL crossovers in mind :D

here goes with the Iowa Hawkeyes

IowaAussie.gif

on a small tangent, what teh hell was Essendon doin out there against Brisbane? cus they sure werent' tryin to win :cursing:

2016cubscreamsig.png

this might be the last college one for a bit, after this one I have some AFL-NFL crossovers in mind :D

here goes with the Iowa Hawkeyes

IowaAussie.gif

on a small tangent, what teh hell was Essendon doin out there against Brisbane? cus they sure werent' tryin to win :cursing:

is that the game you got over in the states? yer Essnedon suck....you guys should get the Saints-Cats this week.... good game and the Saints, who had no palyers left (Jones,Harvey, Kossie all injured, meaning one on thge bench) played alright.... but we lost damn it and the umpiring was crap..... several goals to geelong cos the umpire was wrong..... bs umps

i like your hoem jumper and like what you have tried to do with the away...

We usually get two shows--the "match of the week" (which here is Friday morning at 1am) and the highlights show on Friday night. I have my DVR record both of them, but it looks like there was no highlights show this week.

The match of the week that I have recorded from this week is Carlton v Hawthorn from Round 6.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ Branded | Behance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

We usually get two shows--the "match of the week" (which here is Friday morning at 1am) and the highlights show on Friday night. I have my DVR record both of them, but it looks like there was no highlights show this week.

The match of the week that I have recorded from this week is Carlton v Hawthorn from Round 6.

I only got the highlight show, though this week had enough of the Bombers-Lions match to see Essendon needs a lot of help that's not coming anytime soon. I'll be astounded if they somehow avoid the cellar at season's end. <_<

2016cubscreamsig.png

Archived