Viriginia Tech orange alternate

chakfu

I got a Michael Vick VT jersey on sale today...

now I'm getting very suspicious that Virginia Tech never wore an orange alternate during Vick's time there. There jersey has a tag that says 2000, I can only find info on them wearing orange during '93-94. Can anyone tell me more?

Anyway, it was cheap and it's still a sharp jersey.

Nike made an orange fashion jersey while Vick and Suggs were in school. The only alternate they had with Vick was a throwback that looked like the set that Beamer wore when he was at Tech. They first wore them against UVA the year VT went to the National Championship Game.

I think you're correct about the last time Tech wore orange. If I'm not mistaken, they got the crud stomped out of them by UVA in Blacksburg during the 1993 or 1994 season. Not just orange tops mind you, orange bottoms as well. Not a goos image...

i recall those alts...the numbers had orange shadow and there was a white-orange-white UCLA stripe over each shoulder. I even recall seein a white version worn on the road a few years later.

the orange jersey being talked about, that is a fashion throwback as noted. I seen em on sale at Champs here.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

http://www.techsideline.com/football/uniformhistory.htm

i knew i had it somewhere, wife is a tech grad when vick was there, arrogant bastard when i met him

Based on the link above, the orange jersey with white pants looked really good, IMO. The orange/orange, on the other hand, well, yeah. Not good. BTW, can that VT site have any more broken links?? I was trying to get large photos, and nothing was working.

And am I the only one who thinks they should go back to the 90s stripes with white facemasks? AKA the Drunckenmiller look?

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

It took me awhile to get used to the new helmet style. I loved the old one but now the new one has really grown on me. I'm not sure how that helmet would look with their new uniforms.

And on that note, while the new uniforms are a bit crazy, I'm glad they are incorporating more orange. For the longest time VT has been dominated by maroon.

I wish Tech would go back to the maroon jersey/orange pants combo that they wore a few times from 93-94. Those were unique. Yes, they did wear all orange against UVA in 94, and that was the last time. The announcers joked that the Hokies looked like they were going hunting wearing all that orange. They also wore an orange jersey with white pants a few times as well.

NorthernColFightingWhites4.GIF

Those VT "throwbacks" they wore a few years ago, with the shoulder stripes, were awesome...I actually tried to find one in replica/replithentic form, but to no avail. :cry:

On a positive note, I just saved money on car insurance by switching to Geico.

I wish Tech would go back to the maroon jersey/orange pants combo that they wore a few times from 93-94. Those were unique. Yes, they did wear all orange against UVA in 94, and that was the last time. The announcers joked that the Hokies looked like they were going hunting wearing all that orange. They also wore an orange jersey with white pants a few times as well.

I believe the reason why they ditched the hunters look was that the Hokies had a huge lead on UVA at the half in the great choke of 94 game. And UVA in the 2nd half went on a huge scoring spree and beat Tech 42-23. Beamer deemed the orange uniforms bad luck and vowed to never wear them again which to this day they never have.

The helmet change happened in 98 or 99. The players voted to take the stripes off, change the face mask, darken the maroon a little and make the helmet metallic.

I have only seen the throwback jersey for sale one time, Tech has a surplus auction once a month and one throwback along with 50 game used jersey's went on sale in November. The throwback ended up going for 150. I have to say it was quite nice even though it was screen printed.

skinsboys4lf7pe.jpg

Archived