NBA Question: Why couldn't Griz get #1 pick in '97

phayze

Topic may be retarted and outdated but I have no idea what this rule could be and it seems silly to me (maybe it won't once explained).

From here

1996/97: The Grizzlies continued to struggle in their second season despite solid play from Shareef Abdur-Rahim who averaged 18.7 to leave the Grizzlies who again posted the worst record in the NBA at 14-68. However, due to a rule that the Grizzlies could not win te draft lottery they had no hopes of landing Wake Forrest star Tim Duncan in the draft, and instead had to settle for Antonio Daniels, with the 4th overall pick.

Untitled-1.png

They never had the #1 pick. I believe it was a rule that an expantion team (them or Toronto) was not allowed to get the #1 pick out of fairness to other teams or something.

6uXNWAo.png

Just a guess: a rule implemented so that the Grizzlies and Raptors had to actually play for wins and not intentionally lose all 82 (just hypothetical here) and continue to grab all #1 picks.

2004 San Jose Sharks 7th Man Fan of the Year

San Jose Gold Miners - 4x Lombardi Cup Champions

I think they make agreements with the new teams every time expansion occurs. When the T-Wolves and Orlando came in in 1989, they had to be the last two lotter pick (10 and 11 or something). Other teams at other times were able to pick #2 or #4 or something.

The Wolves/Orlando did not have restrictions on their second draft like the Griz, so there is no long-standing rule. They just hammer out an agreement every time expansion occurs.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Archived