Pick your Brewers logo!

DrBear

From OnMilwaukee.com, this on Friday's promotion at Miller Park in which fans can choose one of two free T-shirts - one with the ball-glove Brewers logo and one with the current M-wheat logo.

Interesting comment: the front office admits it's doing more polls and surveys, it says it could use the old logo on alts or BP jerseys, and the team recently did a scoreboard graphic with the current logo in the royal blue and yellow colors...

139775815_cc7da57bca_o.jpg

It's a very good article. It even tells about the though process behind the ball in glove logo

The logo in question was designed by then University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire student Tom Meindel in 1977. OMC caught up with Meindel last spring to talk about the creation process, which was through a contest featuring a $2,000 prize.

"I was a cash poor student, struggling to get by," says Meindel, who now works designing signs in Eugene, Ore. "So I started sketching out ideas, but nothing seemed to work."

Finally, Meindel struck blue and gold.

"I took a lower-case 'm' and put it on a lower-case 'b'," says Meindel, who was 29 at the time. "I used (the fonts) Cooper and Souvenir, and it reminded me of a baseball glove."

"(When I saw it), I went 'wow,' something rang true. It had a double connotation."

The original design actually more closely resembled the fonts he used, says Meindel. "Someone has scrunched it up a little bit."

For the logo's color scheme, he stuck with the blue the team was already using, but opted for a deeper gold for the second hue.

And the rest is history. The Brewers went to the World Series in 1982 with the ball and glove logo. It was also the marque the team wore during their last winning season 13 years ago in 1992.

I saw, I came, I left.

Archived