Lou goes absoutely mental

brinkeguthrie

Man, to over rule a call like that- No wonder Lou went nuts. :cursing:

Kansas-BB-banner.png My-son-Soldier-banner.png

Kansas City Scouts (CHL) Orr Cup Champions 2010, 2019, 2021         St. Joseph Pony Express (ULL)  2023 Champions     Kansas City Cattle (CL)

Man, to over rule a call like that- No wonder Lou went nuts. :cursing:

Of course YOU don't think bad calls at first base should be overruled... :P

In all seriousness though, there's just certain calls that your not gonna get any better on by discussing it. That's pretty much one of them right there. It's nuts to overturn that.

Now of course if a, ahem, CERTAIN, ahem, play is, ahem, SUPEROBVIOUS, ahem, and every person in the entire stadium would have made the oppisite call on, well then that could be overruled...unfortunatley...they didn't always do that...

Regardless, the play Lou went nuts over was bang-bang, and I don't think they should have overturned that.

http://tampabay.devilrays.mlb.com/NASApp/m...dex.jsp?c_id=tb

look where it says 'lou gets ejected' towards the bottom of the pg

it was nice to see the D-Rays finally get a terrible call against them, after the umps gave them the series in Toronto :P

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

What's new? :P

Haha he got the spin move in there and everything to get away when they were tryin to hold him back. :D

I sorda agree with him though. You cant overturn plays like that. that was the first base umps call. foul balls and things like that they can overturn, but ive never seen that kinda play overturned before.

teamsnew2.png

Haha he got the spin move in there and everything to get away when they were tryin to hold him back. :D

I sorda agree with him though. You cant overturn plays like that. that was the first base umps call. foul balls and things like that they can overturn, but ive never seen that kinda play overturned before.

Anything for the Sox and Yankees

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

Anything for the Sox and Yankees

Toronto is still in 4th place! :D

Anyway, the Sox still lost.

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

The only reason I can think of for the call being overturned is the base umpire's (Dana DeMuth) view did not provide a conclusive tag of the bag by Schilling. It's not that he was out of position?had he been straddling the line, he may have interfered with a player or been run over.

I think this is why the play was ruled safe. DeMuth would have seen Schilling's foot land first, but since he couldn't tell the bag was touched, he had to rule Lugo safe. So, when Francona comes out to argue the call, all he asks is that DeMuth check with the home plate umpire (Laz Diaz) who may have had a better view of the tag. That is not uncommon? a base umpire positioned on the infield side of the foul line may defer to the plate umpire coming up the line, especially on a sweep tag. Diaz would have been positioned around home plate due to the runner coming home, but he still would have been at the foul-line extended towards the backstop, so even at 90+ feet away, he could have seen the step touch the bag. It's all about the angles.

In this case, my guess is that DeMuth asked Diaz if Schilling's foot touched the bag. Diaz says "yes", so DeMuth says Lugo is out.

People can chalk it up to some Red Sox/Schilling/MLB conspiracy all they want. Before the Richie Phillips fiasco, when there were AL and NL umps, the umps were very complacent and beligerent at times. They knew their jobs were safe. But since the umpires all became Major League Baseball umpires (and a lot of the dead wood were not rehired), it's much easier to be removed or otherwise disciplined due to poor performance. I don't think the MLB umpires are as closely monitored as their NFL brethren, but more and more you will see the umpires have conferences amongst themselves to make sure they get calls correct. There aren't many other sports that require instant rulings on plays?I'd say that baseball umpires need to be the most focused and perceptive officials of the five major sports in North America.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

Archived