The NHL's new Cable Deal

jkrdevil

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What a mess.  CSN is amatuer hour compared to ESPN.  OLN?  Are you kidding me?  The friggin' Tour de France channel?  It's sad that it has come to this for the NHL.

If you read one of the original articles posted that Comcast is also going after the NFL. If they get that they will re-brand OLN as a competitior to ESPN. This is good for the league, ESPN has treated the league like trash over the past couple years. Comcast will promote the game.

so true. at least on comcast they care about hockey...

Comcast has to care about hockey, they don't have anything else. However, I sincerely wish them well in trying to compete with ESPN. But does anyone remember CNN/SI? They had the backing of a broadcasting giant, CNN and a tradional sports power in Sports Illustrated and it barely made a dent. ESPN only got bigger. This so reminds me of the USFL vs. the NFL.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

What a mess.  CSN is amatuer hour compared to ESPN.  OLN?  Are you kidding me?  The friggin' Tour de France channel?  It's sad that it has come to this for the NHL.

If you read one of the original articles posted that Comcast is also going after the NFL. If they get that they will re-brand OLN as a competitior to ESPN. This is good for the league, ESPN has treated the league like trash over the past couple years. Comcast will promote the game.

Comcast has to care about hockey, they don't have anything else. However, I sincerely wish them well in trying to compete with ESPN. But does anyone remember CNN/SI? They had the backing of a broadcasting giant, CNN and a tradional sports power in Sports Illustrated and it barely made a dent. ESPN only got bigger. This so reminds me of the USFL vs. the NFL.

Out of the gate, OLN has 3x the households CNN/SI had and CNN/SI was trying to take on ESPNews not ESPN. Big difference.

Comcast has to care about hockey, they don't have anything else.  However, I sincerely wish them well in trying to compete with ESPN.  But does anyone remember CNN/SI?  They had the backing of a broadcasting giant, CNN and a tradional sports power in Sports Illustrated and it barely made a dent.  ESPN only got bigger.  This so reminds me of the USFL vs. the NFL.

Out of the gate, OLN has 3x the households CNN/SI had and CNN/SI was trying to take on ESPNews not ESPN. Big difference.

Although, CNN/SI did try to show sports coverage. I remember they once had the National Lacrosse League in their final year.

I saw, I came, I left.

Comcast has to care about hockey, they don't have anything else.  However, I sincerely wish them well in trying to compete with ESPN.  But does anyone remember CNN/SI?  They had the backing of a broadcasting giant, CNN and a tradional sports power in Sports Illustrated and it barely made a dent.  ESPN only got bigger.  This so reminds me of the USFL vs. the NFL.

Although, CNN/SI did try to show sports coverage. I remember they once had the National Lacrosse League in their final year.

And NASCAR qualifying, Wimbledon matches, WUSA soccer games. Still, not exactly what you would call high ratings grabbers (the NHL isn't either, apparently)

CNN/SI kind of became NBA TV so I guess you could call that a minor success.

There's another coast?

Wait, are you serious?

:blink:

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Well, CNN and SI are owned by the same company, now and then. Also, as people have mentioned it started out as all news, which hurt. With Comcast you have the nations #1 cable company. It is also Comcast you have a company with deep pockets that can afford to go head to head with ESPN. Let's not forget that last year Comcast nearly took over Disney, which owns ESPN. Those pockets will be handy when it comes time for the Thursday and Saturday NFL package. If Comcast gets the NFL, that along with the NHL and the money that Comcast have and you have the best chance at an ESPN competitor. Another thing is that Comcast with their own network can force ESPN to take less money in subscriber fees.

Of course ESPN might match Comcast offer for the NHL in order to try and prevent such a competitor.

Someone I think was wondering what level MLS is to Europe's top league. MLS All-Stars lost to Real Madrid and Chelsea members of top division in europe but did beat Fulham.

What does that have to do with the National Hockey League and it's new Cable Deal?

Archived