The NHL's new Cable Deal

jkrdevil

Well as most of you know ESPN decided not to renew it's tv deal with the NHL. After that I had read an article by Stan Fischler that siad it was a mutual seperation because the NHL was not happy with the way the NHL took a backseat once ESPN got the NBA. Many said it would mean doom for the league. Back then I said there are other networks that would pickup the NHL and have it as it's centerpiece. It seems Comcast might be starting a new network and doing that.

http://www.newsday.com/sports/hockey/ny-sp...ockey-headlines

If they decide not to start a new network they might put it on one of their current channels. The article also metions that Viacom owned Spike might also be interested in the NHL. So the NHL will probably have a national cable precence next year.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Soudns good to me Im a Comcast subscriber taht means will get that channel. Maybe they can do soem good things with it.

But grr dont be pro Philly even though they own the FLyers nobody will like that.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

I've read oher articles. If they don't go the comcast route it seems USA is the leading contender as they already have a deal with NBC, USA's parent company. Spike TV is also in the mix. Those will probably be revenue sharing deals.

• 2 weeks later...
I want it back on ESPN :(.

I don't think the NHL is going back to ESPN. ESPN is now interested again because of competition, however the NHL has not been happy with the way the league got the back seat once ESPN got the NBA rights.

I'll miss Gary Thorne calling games. He's the best play by play man ever to be employed by ESPN. I guess he can stick to calling baseball.

And what will become of Barry Melrose :(

You used to hold me

Tell me that I was the best

Anything in this world I want

I could posses

All that made me want

Was all that I can get

In order to survive

Gotta learn to live with regrets

-President Carter

Gary Thorne is, like many play-by-play men, an independent contractor. He could very easily call NHL games for another network. I'm betting that NBC will get Doc Emrick to be the voice for the A game and that he might also call games on USA, if applicable. If the NHL goes to another cable outlet, Thorne and Barry Melrose, Darren Pang, Bill Clement, etc. will probably go with it. I kind of feel bad for John Buccigross and Steve Levy, though. They're hockey guys, but they'd likely stay at ESPN.

Also, I think that the modest terms offered by ESPN in 2004 were based on the assumption that there would be a lockout. Now that the NHL is back, ESPN may have more to offer. If they expect the NHL to agree to a revenue-sharing deal, then they can forget about exclusive coverage of anything. No All Star Game, no Conference Finals, and definitely no Stanley Cup Finals.

A Gary Thorne-less NHL is a better NHL. I'm sorry, but the guy flat-out stinks. He's consistently 10 seconds behind the action (sounds like the "play by play" you find in video games) and STILL doesn't know that it's PEUR-IN-TON, NOT PUH-RING-TON. God, that bothers me.

From the Drew Remenda Sports Show on CJME last week. John Davidson said him and Mike Emerick will be the #1 guys for NBC next season. It's a 5 year deal. Most likely Thorne and Clement will also join the frey if ESPN/ABC allows Thorne to do so. Brian Engblom was let go in 2004-05 season. He is a part of the new team for the Columbus Blue Jackets on FSN Ohio. Darren Pang was apparantly let go after the season was cancelled. Panger is now with the Phoenix Coyotes. My guess is that Pang will be on one of the "undercard" announcers for NBC. As for Melrose, his reverse predicting is likely headed for NBC as a studio analyst with (hopefully) Bob Costas doing the pre game and intermission. Although, most likely NBC will tab Al Trautwig to double up as NHL host along with his Arena ball duties.

As for Comcast, that's gonna be very tough to get in TV markets especially those that don't have Comcast in two months time. My guess is that the NHL will sign a deal (a very cheap one at that) to be on ESPN2 and then have a new cable home for 2006-07. However, if FSN ever wanted to save itself, especially since it's headed downhill nationally, an over abundunce of NHL coverage with NHL shows, pregame, postgame, and shoot, try even a call-in show. FSN is looking more bleek by the day, with the eventual disappearance of FSN Chicago and FSN New York within the next few years.

A cable contract with a sports network with HD capability and share the expense of using local announcers or lure Thorne and Clement if needed. And FSN is seen as the ONLY source to do it if ESPN is not an option.

2006-07, after a comeback year, you NEED to smother the network with coverage. It's all about marketing and if you end up on USA or Spike, I don't think it's gonna work. And OLN? Which stands for Outdoor Life Network yet showing the NHL games indoors? Talk about contradiction. :hockeysmiley:

2004 San Jose Sharks 7th Man Fan of the Year

San Jose Gold Miners - 4x Lombardi Cup Champions

If they make that deal with OLN (ESPN still has the option to match), fans will have little choice but to get Center Ice. I have digital cable and I don't even get OLN. Hopefully, NBC would be interested in picking up Games 1 & 2 of the Finals. You can't have Stanley Cup games available to barely 20% of the country.

If they make that deal with OLN (ESPN still has the option to match), fans will have little choice but to get Center Ice. I have digital cable and I don't even get OLN. Hopefully, NBC would be interested in picking up Games 1 & 2 of the Finals. You can't have Stanley Cup games available to barely 20% of the country.

I believe it's 20% that doesn't get OLN. I also expect that more cable carriers will pick up OLN with the NHL and possibly the NFL.

Archived