The NHL's new Cable Deal

jkrdevil

A Gary Thorne-less NHL is a better NHL. I'm sorry, but the guy flat-out stinks. He's consistently 10 seconds behind the action (sounds like the "play by play" you find in video games) and STILL doesn't know that it's PEUR-IN-TON, NOT PUH-RING-TON. God, that bothers me.

Completely agree. Not only does he ruin baseball and hockey with his booming voice (try watching Game 5 of the '99 NLCS with him calling it... ugh), but he's also got some pretty ignorant opinions as well.

The NHL/OLN deal is intriguing. The NHL will be the big fish (in a small pond, granted, but still) and won't get shoved into the background like it does on ESPN. It might end up getting the kind of devotion that TNT gives to the NBA.

The NHL may never crack the top four of major sports again, but it potentially has two network partners who won't treat it like crap.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
A Gary Thorne-less NHL is a better NHL. I'm sorry, but the guy flat-out stinks. He's consistently 10 seconds behind the action (sounds like the "play by play" you find in video games) and STILL doesn't know that it's PEUR-IN-TON, NOT PUH-RING-TON. God, that bothers me.

Completely agree. Not only does he ruin baseball and hockey with his booming voice (try watching Game 5 of the '99 NLCS with him calling it... ugh), but he's also got some pretty ignorant opinions as well.

The NHL/OLN deal is intriguing. The NHL will be the big fish (in a small pond, granted, but still) and won't get shoved into the background like it does on ESPN. It might end up getting the kind of devotion that TNT gives to the NBA.

The NHL may never crack the top four of major sports again, but it potentially has two network partners who won't treat it like crap.

At least be thankful Joe Buck doesn't call hockey games ^_^

I saw, I came, I left.

I wonder if they will allow OLN to be broadcast on satelites. Because Comcast comptetes wtih DirecTV and DishNet, they don't allow Comcast SportsNet, CN8, or their local broadcasts to go out via Satelite. If you ever see a Phillies game on Extra Innings, it is either the opposing team's broadcast, or one of the few non-Comcast games in Phila.

I live in one of the only non-Comcast cable areas in Phila., but we get CSN, CN8, and OLN because Comcast doesn't compete with our cable provider.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

You CAN get Csn on DirecTV. And OLN.

Not Philly CSN.

I didn't know about OLN. Does the CSN that is on DirecTV broadcast games?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

That's probably why. CSN Phila. broadcasts most Phillies games, and owns (and broadcasts) the Flyers and Sixers. They pretty much hold it over anyone's head who even considers getting a dish.

Okay, so if you're a Phillies fan who has moved to Arizona and your only way to see your home town team is dish...WOW, that's stupid you couldnt even see your home broadcasters. okay...

I agree it sucks, but the main reason they bought the teams was to acquire programming. It's just business.

The primary reason CSN Philly isn't on the mini-dish systems is that they don't use satellites to distribute the signal to the cable systems that carry the channel. The region is so compact that everything is done with microwave and landlines.

The rule is that if you distribute via satellite you must make your channel available to DirecTV and dish.

CSN Philly keeps its signal "on the ground" and bypasses this requirement.

natsred.pngredskins.pngmaryland.pngcapitals.png

The primary reason CSN Philly isn't on the mini-dish systems is that they don't use satellites to distribute the signal to the cable systems that carry the channel. The region is so compact that everything is done with microwave and landlines.

The rule is that if you distribute via satellite you must make your channel available to DirecTV and dish.

CSN Philly keeps its signal "on the ground" and bypasses this requirement.

Yeah, I remember reading something like that a while ago. The motivation for keeping their stuff off dish is to keep it from the competition, but your post sounds accurate about how they get around the legalities.

What a mess. CSN is amatuer hour compared to ESPN. OLN? Are you kidding me? The friggin' Tour de France channel? It's sad that it has come to this for the NHL.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

What a mess. CSN is amatuer hour compared to ESPN. OLN? Are you kidding me? The friggin' Tour de France channel? It's sad that it has come to this for the NHL.

If you read one of the original articles posted that Comcast is also going after the NFL. If they get that they will re-brand OLN as a competitior to ESPN. This is good for the league, ESPN has treated the league like trash over the past couple years. Comcast will promote the game.

What a mess.  CSN is amatuer hour compared to ESPN.  OLN?  Are you kidding me?  The friggin' Tour de France channel?  It's sad that it has come to this for the NHL.

If you read one of the original articles posted that Comcast is also going after the NFL. If they get that they will re-brand OLN as a competitior to ESPN. This is good for the league, ESPN has treated the league like trash over the past couple years. Comcast will promote the game.

so true. at least on comcast they care about hockey...

ESPN could use a rival.

Amen, but I'm afraid both will still have East Coast Bias.

It's not biased when the East Coast is better. :P

There's another coast?

Archived