Epilogue: Tampa Bay Rays v2

The Rays go back to a forest green & black look (which they utilized from '01 - '07) along with a some more modernized elements. Player names and numbers are changed from their janky proprietary font to a standard block style, hats get the black stingray logo blended in with the 'TB', and metallic blue is used as an accent color once again. Green and black alternates utilize the primary logo on the chest, while the stingray continues to be used as an accent on the left sleeves.

v07oW4C.png

p5WQsa0.png

• mahnkej changed the title to MLB Concepts 2023 (Epilogue: Tampa Bay Rays v2)

Out of the three full time looks the Rays have had, the 01-07 is my least fave, The forest green and black just doesn't look right for Tampa and the metalic blue doesn't contrast or compliment the green well. I also think the change from double to single piping is a downgrade from the 01-07 set.

• Like 1

I agree with @VampyrRabbit; those 2001-07 Devil Rays unis didn't work because there wasn't nearly enough contrast between the forest green, black and royal blue. There was some stuff to like about that look (namely the wordmarks) but it was very much a product of its time. That's not a criticism of your concept per se, but this is a look best left in the past.

Replace the black with their current Columbia blue and you might have something, however. 

• Like 1

Epilogue: Arizona Diamondbacks v4

Very simple concept here: The Dbacks go back to their classic purple and teal color scheme full-time. Design is tweaked slightly vs. the original look, but otherwise these are the late 90's -early 2000's jerseys in all their glory. 

3IAhVQq.png

obrpA0A.png

• Like 1

• mahnkej changed the title to MLB Concepts 2023 (Epilogue: Arizona Diamondbacks v4)

Epilogue: Tampa Bay Rays v3

At this point, the evidence is pretty clear: Tampa's Devil Rays throwback uniforms are easily their most popular and recognizable look. Fans love 'em, and I could definitely see them eventually moving to these full-time.  So for this set, I stuck with that design philosophy while also adding some new elements. A few notes:

• Home white uniforms stay mostly as they are, with the rainbow gradient pattern added in a few new places. This pattern is also introduced as an option for the uniform socks (which looks both ridiculous and incredible in real life)
  • Road uniforms use a slightly darker shade of gray
  • Alternate sun burst logo is used as the sleeve logo on the two blue uniforms
  • Stingray logo on the left sleeve is updated to match the design on the hat, which replaces the old "TB" design as the new primary hat logo
  • Navy blue, indigo, and black alternate jerseys use the rainbow gradient pattern for the player numbers, and also for the piping on the sleeves and neckline
  • Finally, black alternate uniforms use the original Rays TB/stingray logo on the hats and jerseys

nkn02Kv.png

gC0FASv.png

spZfVmt.png

• Like 2
  • Love 1

• mahnkej changed the title to MLB Concepts 2023 (Epilogue: Tampa Bay Rays v3)
On 12/22/2023 at 4:03 PM, VampyrRabbit said:

Out of the three full time looks the Rays have had, the 01-07 is my least fave, The forest green and black just doesn't look right for Tampa and the metalic blue doesn't contrast or compliment the green well. I also think the change from double to single piping is a downgrade from the 01-07 set.

I had forgotten there was blue in those uniforms. Swap green with black and then black with blue and you could have something more interesting, but it would still be too dark.