Eagles to reitre Whites #

FiddySicks

Honestly, I think Reggie White was a closed minded hate filled individual who hid behind his faith as an excuse to act that way. This is coming from someone who watched his pre-Green Bay NFL career closely and who met and spoke with him on multiple occasions.

However, I am not going to discount the genuinely good things he did for people and charities, and the positive impact he had on many people's lives. Nor will I discount his incredible talents, and the contributions he made to one of the best single-season defenses in NFL history (#1 against pass, run, and overall.)

They were planning this for over 10 years, as they didn't allow his number to be issued ever since he left. So I think this would have happened even if he didn't pass away this year.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Pretty cool if you ask me, now i wonder how long till Green Bay and Carolina will do the smart, respectful thing

Foxsports.com

Green Bay alreadya nnounced Whites #92 will be retired this season.

And even if you dont agree with the way White presented himself, or the way that he lived his life you still can;t deny the man did great things on and off the field.

#92 Forever.

Proud owner of the Utah Pioneers of the Continnental Baseball League.

GBCanada.png

PACKER BACKER FOREVER!

I agree that his # should be retired but where do we stop? The Yankees for example will have no single digit #'s left once Torre and Jeter retire. Can't we just honor players by putting them in the Wall of Fame and the Hall of Fame? I mean Rice already wore Lagent's # 80 after it was retired, what is going to stop someone from wearing Reggie's # if they wanted it bad enough?

And even if you dont agree with the way White presented himself, or the way that he lived his life.

I don't...

you still can;t deny the man did great things on and off the field

Agreed.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Reggie White had his faults like all the rest of us. Yes, his mouth was big, but so was his heart (the non-homophobic part, at least). His on field dominance is undeniable. He could easily be the greatest defensive player in the history of the NFL. However, tell me why would Carolina would retire his number, what did he do there? GB sure, Philly yep, but Carolina? I barely remember his time there.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

Archived