Observation watching the LSU/Tenn. Game

Squeaks4

I am currently watching the LSU/Tenn. game on ESPN2 and have noticed a weird decal on the back of some of the Tenn. pleyers...If you have a chance to watch it (!0:00 minutes left in the 4th Qt.) Look at Tenn. QB and look at the back of his helmet, he has a decal of a graduation hat...If anyone knows what that is there for I would love to know

Not sure about that decal, but I know that the Tennessee QB Rick Clausen graduated last spring. He has a year left of eligibility.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i like the new lsu font and the new logo, but what they did to the endzones is catastrophic! there is no way to beat the old endzones filled with the giant lsu lettering! from the old endzones to the yard markers every five yards to the hazy tiger eye . . . not a better field design in college football. (they better not remove the tiger eye at midfield)

Correct me if i'm wrong lsu experts . . . seems like i remember growing up seeing that tiger eye centered on the 45 yard line instead of the 50 for several years. am i crazy or was this really the case. i remember watching games there as a kid and wondering if i was really seeing it that way. idunno, maybe it was just the all the liquor and expletives being thrown at me all night that had me confussed (rowdiest fans in all of sports; oaklands blackhole has nothing on death valley at night).

SignatureCCSL.png

Is there any particular reason why LSU's field has the gridiron numbered every five yards, instead of every ten like everyone else's?  I've seen it and thought it unique, but I never got why they decided to do it.

IIRC, they do the same thing at UGa. Must be an SEC thing.

Tangent: I'd be one of those among the pissed if LSU dumped the eye at the center of the field. That is not only well-done, but unique among the pros or college as far as I can tell. Most teams opt for either the simple helmet design, or a simple logo. But LSU has thrown a part of one of their logos on the field, without firm borders so it looks like it just sort of pops into existence out of nowhere, and fades into the grass just as quickly. A hazy airbrushed look. Definitely my favorite field art in college, and by default, the NFL, since most of their stuff is generic. (But could you imagine the Chargers being allowed to have a lightning bolt running the length of the 50-yard line? How cool would that be?)

They don't do the same thing at Sanford Stadium. They only mark the 10-yard lines, not the 5's.

Stadium_shadow.jpg

Is there any particular reason why LSU's field has the gridiron numbered every five yards, instead of every ten like everyone else's?  I've seen it and thought it unique, but I never got why they decided to do it.

Tangent: I'd be one of those among the pissed if LSU dumped the eye at the center of the field. That is not only well-done, but unique among the pros or college as far as I can tell. Most teams opt for either the simple helmet design, or a simple logo. But LSU has thrown a part of one of their logos on the field, without firm borders so it looks like it just sort of pops into existence out of nowhere, and fades into the grass just as quickly. A hazy airbrushed look. Definitely my favorite field art in college, and by default, the NFL, since most of their stuff is generic. (But could you imagine the Chargers being allowed to have a lightning bolt running the length of the 50-yard line? How cool would that be?)

They don't do the same thing at Sanford Stadium. They only mark the 10-yard lines, not the 5's.

Stadium_shadow.jpg

They do mark the goal line with the G from their helmet, and that's pretty cool, though.

Stadium_shadow.jpg

They do mark the goal line with the G from their helmet, and that's pretty cool, though.

I watched the '83 Auburn vs Georgia game on ESPN classic not to long ago,and Georgia did have gridiron numbered every five yards.IIRC they went w/ the gridiron numbered every five yards like everyone else about around the early '90.

LSU needs to start wearing their purple jerseys for all their home games.

Nope. They have a LONG tradition of wearing the white jerseys at home, one that was only upset for a comparitively short period of time. As far back as I can remember (and even farther according to photos and film I've seen) white jerseys at home was THE uniform. Heck, even the famous platoon squads of the late fifties made no mention of purple-- they were called the White team, the Gold (Go) Team, and the Chinese Bandits....

Sometime in the early 1980s, the NCAA mandated that all home teams wear colored jerseys, while all visting teams wear white. This effectively scapped an tradition for LSU, and from what I understand, Georgia Tech as well. In the mid-1990s (I remember it tied in with Gerry DiNardo's arrival at LSU), the NCAA finally relaxed their rules to allow home teams to wear white jerseys with the permission of the visiting team. There have been occasions where such permission was not granted-- a game against Vandy, and one against the "Ol' Ball Coach" come to mind-- but for the most part, visiting teams have been accommodating.

The team still usually wears the purple jerseys for one or two home games a year, usually against a non-conference opponent-- just to liven things up. In our championship year in 2003, for example, we wore them at home against Western Illinois and Louisiana Tech.

BTW, I'm not a fan of the new end zones, either. Especially since I saw the Volunteers scoring in them a few too many times last Monday night. :P

It is what it is.

Archived