Observation watching the LSU/Tenn. Game

Squeaks4

I am currently watching the LSU/Tenn. game on ESPN2 and have noticed a weird decal on the back of some of the Tenn. pleyers...If you have a chance to watch it (!0:00 minutes left in the 4th Qt.) Look at Tenn. QB and look at the back of his helmet, he has a decal of a graduation hat...If anyone knows what that is there for I would love to know

PopHeading-1.gif

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

hmmm could be...I was also thinking maybe it means he will be graduating before the season is over, say if he was a redshirt freshman and has enough credits to graduate after the semester they are in right now but the season is not over, can he still play?

PopHeading-1.gif

hmmm could be...I was also thinking maybe it means he will be graduating before the season is over, say if he was a redshirt freshman and has enough credits to graduate after the semester they are in right now but the season is not over, can he still play?

I believe the rule is simply that you have four years of eligibility and you must be enrolled in a class (perhaps a few).

So, if he's still got the year of eligibility, and he's enrolled in any course(s), he can still play.

Plus the endzones are different than they was last season.

yeah i noticed the endzone thing too...i liked the old style lsu endzones where "LSU" was covering the whole end zone...

There was also an additional sticker on the back of UT helmets- it was a little helmet...odd how the camera got an awful lot of shots of the back of Claussen's helmet

I believe the rule is simply that you have four years of eligibility and you must be enrolled in a class (perhaps a few).

So, if he's still got the year of eligibility, and he's enrolled in any course(s), he can still play.

Is it? Then what is red-shirting all about?...I have a good friend from high school who red-shirted as a Freshman last year for the Boise State Football team, He got in on about 5-10 plays, yet because he red-shirted he still has 4 years of eligibility

PopHeading-1.gif

I got this from the NCAA site. Just do a search on Redshirt Freshman and it comes up:

"The term "redshirt" is used to describe a student-athlete who does not participate in competition in a sport for an entire academic year. If you do not compete in a sport the entire academic year, you have not used a season of competition. For example, if you are a qualifier, and you attend a four-year college your freshman year, and you practice but do not compete against outside competition, you would still have the next four years to play four seasons of competition.

Each student is allowed no more than four seasons of competition per sport. If you were not a qualifier, you may have fewer seasons of competition available to you. You should know that NCAA rules indicate that any competition, regardless of time, during a season counts as one of your seasons of competition in that sport. It does not matter how long you were involved in a particular competition (for example, one play in a football game, one point in a volleyball match); you will be charged with one season of competition."

(http://www1.ncaa.org/membership/membership_svcs/eligibility-recruiting/faqs/eligibility_seasons.html)

Teams usually do this to freshman to give them an extra year to gain some size or if there are a lot of good starters ahead of them and they won't get any playing time. You don't want to waste a year of a player's eligibility by having him ride the pine. You also see guys get redshirted when they are injured. If you hear a guy called a reshirt freshman that means he is actually a Sophomore.

Regarding the enrollment question, an athlete in their last semester of classes (for example a person in the spring semester of their senior year or a guy who is graduating a semester late) only has to take the credits necessary to graduate. An example is Matt Leinert, the QB from USC. Matt was redshirted one year and this is actually his 5th year at USC. He purposely made sure he was 2 credits shy of graduating at the end of last year so he could play this year. The only class he is taking this semester is a 2 credit ballroom dancing class. He can still play because of the last semester rule.

Also on the back of the Tennessee helmets were decals of the states of Louisana, Mississippi, and Alabama.

All the SEC are (or should be) wearing those decals. I'm not sure if LSU is as they have their own decal, a fleur-de-lis they are wearing this season in addition to the Louisiana state flag they normally wear.

Rick Clausen is in his 6th year of college, so lets hope he's already graduated (I believe he has).

I believe the rule is if its your final semester, you only have to take 1 class to be eligible. Matt Lienert is only taking Ball room dancing or some joke class this semester, but its perfectly legal because he will graduate in December.

I think the new endzones are meant to match the new Hat font worn by the LSU coach. The hat was ALL NIKE last night, now Zephyr/Nike mixes. . .

I did used to enjoy the massive-ness of those LSU letters. Always looked abstract or like a maze or something to me.

Tenn.'s orange seems to have gotten brighter in the last few years. Used to be closer to peach than a true bright orange that it appears now. At least to me, anyone else notice that?

fade.gif

I think the new endzones are meant to match the new Hat font worn by the LSU coach. The hat was ALL NIKE last night, now Zephyr/Nike mixes. . .

Not only is it a hat font, but it's also a font for the whole athletic department. :P

And LSU seriously needs to go back to the huge lettered-endzones.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

LSU payed huge $$$ for this (affectionately referred to as "Tooncies" in BTR)...

lsu.jpg

It didn't go over well with the fans, so now they are starting to go to the "Geaux Font" LSU logo (uniforms, midcourt logo in the PMAC, EZ's in Tiger Stadium, etc.)...

court5tj.png

Game%206%20036%20copyweb.jpg

PAAAIACAGAEPDJBG_L.jpg

169169.jpeg

bkc_lsu_brandon_bass_164w.jpg

Geaux Tigers

eyecopy1tn.jpg

Archived