Observation watching the LSU/Tenn. Game

Squeaks4

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
LSU payed huge $$$ for this (affectionately referred to as "Tooncies" in BTR)...

lsu.jpg

It didn't go over well with the fans, so now they are starting to go to the "Geaux Font" LSU logo (uniforms, midcourt logo in the PMAC, EZ's in Tiger Stadium, etc.)...

court5tj.png

Game%206%20036%20copyweb.jpg

PAAAIACAGAEPDJBG_L.jpg

169169.jpeg

bkc_lsu_brandon_bass_164w.jpg

Geaux Tigers

Hmm, I LOVE that font and was going to comment on it later with some pics...guess I am in the minority though

PopHeading-1.gif

I guess I should have clarified that LSU paid around 750k for both the logo and the font. The font is exclusively LSU's. I think everyone likes the font and the LSU logo derived from it. Its the logo with the gay cartoon tiger asking for a hug that didn't fly.

As for the end zones, if they stretch it across the entire end zone then it isn't the font anymore. They made it as wide as the height allowed. Tigers would fill it out more, but they went with LSU. I think eventually they will ditch the eye at midfield, put LSU there and then Tigers in each end zone. Losing the eye will piss off alot of people though.

eyecopy1tn.jpg

I always want LSU to start with the eye, then fill in the rest of a bad-ass tiger until he's all there for the final game of the season.

By the by, if it's "Geaux Tigers," why isn't it "LS-Ieux?"

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity."

--Abraham Lincoln

The helmet decal is indeed for players that have graduated.

The orange on the jerseys is exactly the same. I have a game jersey directly from the equipment room from each season since 1998 and I can assure you the color has not changed. I don't have one in my posession from this season yet, but the color is the same.

The numbers are the same size as the last couple of years, but it is a slightly wider font, as we switched to tackle-twill number this year, the first time we've used them since 1997.

Any more Tennessee questions? If I don't have the answer, I can get it in less than 24 hrs.

Just a thought from watching the game...

Is there any particular reason why LSU's field has the gridiron numbered every five yards, instead of every ten like everyone else's? I've seen it and thought it unique, but I never got why they decided to do it.

LvZYtbZ.png

LSU payed huge $$$ for this (affectionately referred to as "Tooncies" in BTR)...

lsu.jpg

It didn't go over well with the fans, so now they are starting to go to the "Geaux Font" LSU logo (uniforms, midcourt logo in the PMAC, EZ's in Tiger Stadium, etc.)...

court5tj.png

Game%206%20036%20copyweb.jpg

PAAAIACAGAEPDJBG_L.jpg

169169.jpeg

bkc_lsu_brandon_bass_164w.jpg

Geaux Tigers

Just using the font from this new logo and not the tiger seems like a waste of money to me. :P I hate the tiger logo anyway, though, so I suppose I'm not opposed to them only using the font. Anyway, why are the letters on the court, the sign, and the uniforms so much wider than the letters in the logo? It's the exact same font, but the uniform and sign letters are much wider. They should be able to stretch that to fit the endzone if they can stretch it on the sign and uniforms.

Are you sure about $750,000 for the package, though? That seems like a WHOLE lot for an athletic identity, even a big one. I mean, Cincinnati is a 20,000+ student institution, and it's identity cost them only about $35,000.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Is there any particular reason why LSU's field has the gridiron numbered every five yards, instead of every ten like everyone else's? I've seen it and thought it unique, but I never got why they decided to do it.

IIRC, they do the same thing at UGa. Must be an SEC thing.

Tangent: I'd be one of those among the pissed if LSU dumped the eye at the center of the field. That is not only well-done, but unique among the pros or college as far as I can tell. Most teams opt for either the simple helmet design, or a simple logo. But LSU has thrown a part of one of their logos on the field, without firm borders so it looks like it just sort of pops into existence out of nowhere, and fades into the grass just as quickly. A hazy airbrushed look. Definitely my favorite field art in college, and by default, the NFL, since most of their stuff is generic. (But could you imagine the Chargers being allowed to have a lightning bolt running the length of the 50-yard line? How cool would that be?)

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

Numbering every yardline is just one of those traditions at LSU...like night games, white jerseys, double posted goalposts, etc. I am biased, but LSU has more unique traditions than any school in the country. We have so many, I don't think we need to be inventing new traditions. Yesterday they started a tradition of firing a cannon when the team runs onto the field...a reference to LSU's tradition as "The Ole War Skule"; similar to Texas A&M. However, the cannon deal is so overdone it isn't funny...even if LSU has more reason to implement it than the other schools.

Most of you probably don't care, but LSU was originally blue and white and its mascot was the Pelicans. The mascot was changed to Tigers when after a blowout victory, a BTR Advocate sportswriter said the team fought like the Tigers. He wasn't referencing the animal, but a band of Confederate soldiers who fought to defend South Louisiana in the Civil War (Louisiana's Fighting Tigers). They were known for their gritty, unyielding style and the nickname stuck. Therefore, LSU's nickname is more similar to that of Ole Miss (Rebels) than Auburn (Tigers-the animal).

Later, when LSU went to play Tulane in a baseball game in New Orleans, their (blue and white) uniforms were stolen. The team went into town to find decorations to adorn their clothes to identify them. It was Mardi Gras at the time and Tulane had bought all the green. Obviously, Mardi Gras colors are purple, green and gold so LSU bought all the purple and gold...LSU blewout Tulane and the colors stuck. LSU didn't officially change them until the 80s.

Tommytimp, if you've spent any time in Louisiana, you know it isn't "L-S-U", but rather it is "Elle-shoe". The whole "Geaux" thing is something we ripped from ULL I believe.

Tempest, I think the logo is wider because the letters are spaced more to make room for all of the outlining and that cheesy shadow effect.

eyecopy1tn.jpg

LSU Alumnus here (though my shirt says Alumni). I must say, I've never had the hatred for surfin' Mike that others do, but I'm a sucker for the simple LSU in the Geaux font. It works with anything. I've said that I'd probably buy a box of dog crap, as long as the Geaux LSU is on the front of the box.

Also, the university's sports department has quietly mostly moved away from the use of the full on surfing Tiger logo. The logo most used now for sporting events and what not is this one on the left (sorry I couldn't find a better version)

bottomBar2.jpg

though normally the LSU is all in yellow. You've seen it on ESPN and such.

And as others have said, the LSU in the endzones were as big as possible before the proportions would go all out of whack. I quite like the look and use of the Geaux font, but it really should be LSU in one and Tigers in the other.

And they had better not take away my eye on the 50.

EZHXTFNZCVLOCOH.20050921201927.jpg

That looks sharp.

kU6ns.gif

They made it as wide as the height allowed.

I have to disagree with you. There was a lot of yellow on top and bottom of LSU in the endzones, so it wasn't a matter of "height". They could have made it taller, and wider...I say just go back to the old LSU endzones, much cooler looking.

You can still have that new font plastered everywhere else, but I say leave the field the same as it was last year.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

LOL Easy champ. I can't let this hanging curveball go by me.

Just like the 1969 smack, a reaction like that lets me know just where LSU stands in relation to Bummer. I do remember Hallman and Dinardo and you are right; memories are all that remain. It is too bad you are currently living "Hallman and Dinardo" and have been for 5 years now.

LSU won the SEC in 2001 and 2003. LSU won the national title in 2003. LSU won a BCS bowl game in 2002 and 2004. LSU has played on NYD 4 straight years. LSU beat Bama in 2000, 2001, 2003, 2004 and I am sure we'll do it again in '05. That 2001 game was classic. Reed carved up your secondary for 300 yards recieving in Bryant Denny. That was only a sign of the times to come. Bad calls, lucky plays...all excuses (LSU won last year by 16 fwiw).

In the meantime, I think I saw Bammer in the Weedeater Bowl one year and Minnesota took it to them in the Music "Sh ! tty" Bowl last year. I know its tough watching LSU, Auburn and even Arkansas own the division for so long. If it makes you feel better to blow off a little steam, go right ahead. Geaux Tigers!! :notworthy:

Bammer...haunted by the ghost of the Bear, and now apparantly Corey Webster, HA!

PAAAIAMKDGFCHMBO_L.jpg

eyecopy1tn.jpg

LOL Easy champ.  I can't let this hanging curveball go by me.

Just like the 1969 smack, a reaction like that lets me know just where LSU stands in relation to Bummer.  I do remember Hallman and Dinardo and you are right; memories are all that remain.  It is too bad you are currently living "Hallman and Dinardo" and have been for 5 years now.

LSU won the SEC in 2001 and 2003.  LSU won the national title in 2003.  LSU won a BCS bowl game in 2002 and 2004.  LSU has played on NYD 4 straight years.  LSU beat Bama in 2000, 2001, 2003, 2004 and I am sure we'll do it again in '05.  That 2001 game was classic.  Reed carved up your secondary for 300 yards recieving in Bryant Denny.  That was only a sign of the times to come.  Bad calls, lucky plays...all excuses (LSU won last year by 16 fwiw).

In the meantime, I think I saw Bammer in the Weedeater Bowl one year and Minnesota took it to them in the Music "Sh ! tty" Bowl last year.  I know its tough watching LSU, Auburn and even Arkansas own the division for so long.  If it makes you feel better to blow off a little steam, go right ahead.  Geaux Tigers!!  :notworthy: 

Bammer...haunted by the ghost of the Bear, and now apparantly Corey Webster, HA!

well for some reason your post stays and mine goes but whatever....i was simply having a little fun and didn't personally attack anyone...i didn't know it was a crime to smacktalk..

as for your little celebration of LSU tradition- The current situation Alabama finds themselves in is due to NCAA Sanctions- that should be apparent to anyone who has kept up with the NCAA the last several years...and while yes, currently LSU is enjoying a great deal of success (did i say 'is' I guess i meant 'was' after watching miles 'deer in the headlights' coaching style monday night), what goes around comes around and Bama will soon be back at full strength my friend...but the funny thing is we won't need to be at full strength to kick some Tiger tail this year. But if you want to get into a pissing contest over tradition you picked the wrong school to do it against.

The bad call from last year was a momentum shifter, bama scores and they go ahead...anyway that is of no consequence- we were however, starting a 3rd string QB and 3rd string TB, didn't have our FB....not excuses just the truth.

do we really need to look at the all-time records of both schools, or even the head-to-head records? didn't think so. Glad to see you know how to post pictures on the board..congrats- it must have been a big step...ROLL TIDE

Archived