Irish Bareknuckle Boxers

TurnTwo

Like you said, there's a lot you could do with this. But I am not feeling any parts of this.

First off, the name is confusing, since I can't figure out what Irish Bareknuckle Boxing has to do with high school volleyball. Maybe it'd make sense to you and your fellow high schoolers, and every school has unique traditions outsiders don't get. There must be a story behind the name, but those of us evaluating the concept aren't going to know it.

LOGO: I get what you're trying to get across. But a pair of hands, disarticulated from the arms they came from, look weird. It looks like the Notre Dame mascot in Clip Art, with all but the fists edited out. Given the position of the hands, they look awkward without arms. They also look off-center when placed against the background of the shamrock.

WORDMARK: Very generic. Looks like Algerian. Is there a reason you chose it? By that I mean, it's a nice-looking font, but it doesn't do anything for the event. Does your school use this font? Is there one they do use? I guess where I am going with this, is that there may be a better choice. It's nice, but not all that related to what you're doing. Not athletic-looking, not "Irish", not connected to the school.

COLORS: It sounds like the colors for this event change every year. Is there a reason these colors were chosen? Are they school colors? Honestly, the colors remind me of the national colors of Ukraine. Again, no connection to Ireland, volleyball, and maybe not even your school. And that blue looks closer to a teal than powder blue, which has less green tint to it. Find a Denver Nuggets, Tennessee Titans or UNC picture; that's what powder blue looks like.

OVERALL: Like I said, not feeling this. There is nothing on this concept that makes even a passing reference to volleyball or your school. (Is your mascot the Fighting Irish? If so, I guess that's a connection of sorts.) What you've got is a pair of Clip Art hands disarticulated from the logo they came from, placed off-center on a shamrock that may or may not be in your school colors, but are not "Irish" colors, with the logo set off by a generic wordmark that also fails to convey that this event has anything to do with your school, or that it's a volleyball tournament.

I'm not trying to be harsh. Just honest, and give you an objective critique you can work with. If anything, I am trying to be constructive and give you some things to think about. You could have something really cool, but it's going to need some serious retooling. Let's see a revision...

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

Thanks for all your comments VitaminD.... This logo is not to be used for our actual school volleyball team. I should've explained it better. Each year our student government hosts a volleyball tournament where the students put together teams and buy jerseys and what-not for their team. This year that is the name we chose and the colors are unrelated to our school colors. We went with the powder blue and yellow because we wanted to set ourselves apart from the many other teams who either use blue and orange (school colors) or blue and red (lots of Bills fans).

Yes, I used Algerian. Do you know any more "Irish looking" fonts?

I will mess with the blue to make it more of a powder blue and somehow try to incorporate a volleyball theme into the logo.

Once again thanks for all your constructive criticism. I really appreciate that you would give me that much feedback. I will repost soon.

"I must be butter, because I'm on a roll."

Turn Two Design // Facebook

This logo is not to be used for our actual school volleyball team. I should've explained it better. Each year our student government hosts a volleyball tournament where the students put together teams and buy jerseys and what-not for their team.

Back in high school, we actually did the same thing for charity - it was a 24-hour volleyball marathon, and everyone was split into 20 colors. (We got a hideous mustard yellow. And came in 3rd.)

This year that is the name we chose and the colors are unrelated to our school colors.

Does the name have anything to do with your nickname? Just wondering; maybe I shouldn't be looking for a deeper connection if it's just a name that was chosen...

EDIT: Oh, now I get it - this is the name and colors you chose for YOUR team in this school-sponsored tournament. So it is not the name of the tournament itself, nor are they the tournament's official colors. Makes tons more sense now; my misunderstanding. Sorry.

Yes, I used Algerian.  Do you know any more "Irish looking" fonts?

Most computers that run Microsoft come equipped with Martel. Uncial fonts are what pass for "Irish calligraphy"; fonts in this group include Ale & Wenches, Aniron and Cry Uncial. For a font that uses the actual Irish (Gaelic) alphabet, accents and all, there's Bunchlo (and Bunchlo Dubh ["Bunchlo Black"]), and Clo Gaelach. And that's just what I've found over the years through freeware/shareware sites.

Now that I just got what you're going for, if this is to outfit your team, why not just cut & paste the ND Fighting Irish mascot (recolored in your choice of colors... powder blue and gold are going to be hard, given all the white skin and white gloves in the mascot's design), place him over a shamrock, and you're set. The floating hands just don't look right.

Alternative idea: just find a fist. Not from the ND mascot. Just a fist. Place it directly over the heart of the shamrock, oriented vertically pointing upward. Arch the wordmark above and below the logo.

Makes much more sense to me now... good luck with it.

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

Right on, dude. That's a bazillion times better. I am eagerly awaiting the revised logo. The black outline helps - and the sky blue plus a thin gold outline blends almost to Irish green!

2007nleastchamps.png

• 5 months later...

Went in a completely different direction here. After becoming hooked on Family Guy our team has decided on the "Fighting Chickens". I made this logo tonight. I downloaded the Chicken Fight video, found a good screen shot and vectorized it. Our colors are now red and yellow to match the chicken. We have it narrowed down to two logos. What do you guys think?

Logo #1:

fightingchickenslogo.png

Logo #2:

fightingchickenslogoalt.png

C&C please. The tournament is in 3 weeks :grin: .

"I must be butter, because I'm on a roll."

Turn Two Design // Facebook

#2. But as much as I like it, I miss the leprechaun.

2007nleastchamps.png

I like two the best. Though, the body logo is quite nice.

I think there is too much space (red) used. Tighten the circle so you don't have som much wasted space - but don't shrink it too much.

Kansas-BB-banner.png My-son-Soldier-banner.png

Kansas City Scouts (CHL) Orr Cup Champions 2010, 2019, 2021         St. Joseph Pony Express (ULL)  2023 Champions     Kansas City Cattle (CL)

I like the second chicken because he looks like he's actually fighting. The seconf chicken just looks like he's mad or had been beeaten up.

I agree with KC that you should shrink the circle around the chicken to get rid of some of the empty space.

I like the second chicken because he looks like he's actually fighting. The seconf chicken just looks like he's mad or had been beeaten up.

I agree with KC that you should shrink the circle around the chicken to get rid of some of the empty space.

Dude, there's only one second chicken. You must mean you like the first one because it looks like its fighting and I agree.

That's better looking!!! Nice Work!!

Kansas-BB-banner.png My-son-Soldier-banner.png

Kansas City Scouts (CHL) Orr Cup Champions 2010, 2019, 2021         St. Joseph Pony Express (ULL)  2023 Champions     Kansas City Cattle (CL)

Archived