Indiana Hoosiers

jstacy1

Hmm. It's got potential. Some thoughts:

1. Ditch the black. IU is crimson and cream. No more, no less. And that's all it should be.

2. The wordmark and numbers font look out of place for IU. It's a very "Old West" font at a very Midwestern school. Also, the best-known team at IU is men's basketball, which has the very definition of a timeless, traditional look, right down to traditional block letters.

3. The wordmark also looks unbalanced with the larger capital "I" and "H" starting the words. With the arching of the letters, having letters of different heights disturbs the smooth arcs you're creating.

4. The IU monogram logo should be tilted in agreement with the tilt of the helmet. If the helmet were being worn, the IU would be terribly off-kilter. I am sure that you were intended to place the logo in its proper orientation, but in this concept it looks misaligned.

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

I'd say to nix the black. It's just not at all Indiana in my book. The western font isn't doing much for me for 2 reasons:

1) Indiana isn't in the west

2) The logo has clean, simple letterforms, whereas your wordmark is just the opposite. I'd say just use the plain old serifed font for both the logo and the wordmark.

Just so you guys know, it's not a western typeface at all; it's the Red Sox lettering.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Just so you guys know, it's not a western typeface at all; it's the Red Sox lettering.

I realized that it looked like MLB Tuscan after I posted my comment. Still, it gives off a feel that doesn't match with IU to me. It works for Boston because they've had it around for generations and has become synonymous with the team. But do you think it would work for an expansion team on the East Coast and in the last 15 years? Probably not.

Regardless of the connection to the Sox, it gives off an Old West feel that contrasts too wildly with the straight lines of the block monogram. If push came to shove, the monogram style would win out, and a more traditional font would be used to match more closely to it.

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

1. Ditch the black.  IU is crimson and cream.  No more, no less.  And that's all it should be.

2. The wordmark and numbers font look out of place for IU.  It's a very "Old West" font at a very Midwestern school.  Also, the best-known team at IU is men's basketball, which has the very definition of a timeless, traditional look, right down to traditional block letters.

1. I disagree with Vitamin D about the black (mostly). As an outline color, which is largely what it is here, I think of black as almost neutral and sometimes necessary just to highlight letters, numbers, etc. The only places where it is not being used that way here are the side stripe on the home pants and the socks. Minimize it in those locations and the rest should be acceptable to even the most ardent blackophobes (I think I just made that up).

2. Western or not, I agree that the font does not fit for Indiana.

3. I don't like the two-toned socks. It reminds me too much of a hockey uniform. An accent stripe at the top or by the whites would work, but not the two large blocks of color.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

Archived