Downtown Ballpark for KC?

Ez Street

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

The Fountains are too cool :cry:

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

I'm torn.

Kauffman is a beautiful stadium, and when you see a game from KC, you KNOW where the game is being played. The hillside, the scoreboard, the fountains, the shape of the 2nd deck.

But I feel bad for the position Royals fans find their team in. If a new stadium would help - and I don't totally think it would, so long as the present ownership remains in control and continues their policy of lining their pockets with luxury tax revenue rather than spend it on the team - then I am all for it. The Royals are too proud a franchise to exist the way they do, and I hope they return to competitiveness.

I just hope that the Royals and Kansas City realize that a new stadium does not guarantee improved performance, just higher ticket prices and the risk of further antagonizing a loyal fan base that's been shafted a lot lately.

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

a new stadium does not guarantee improved performance, just higher ticket prices and the risk of further antagonizing a loyal fan base that's been shafted a lot lately.

Hmmm.... speaking from experience, are we???

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Don't worry, I'm sure the fountains will be there too if this gets passed.

BTW, I am for this. Spending the same amount of money on a new ballpark is better then dumping this money into Kauffman. It will benefit KC more. This will help spur development in Downtown. Truman Sports Complex is out in the burbs with nothing but a few hotels, a Denny's, and a Taco Bell. Plus it will lock the Royals into a long term lease instead of adding a few years to their current one. That way they don't pour money into Kauffman then the Royals say they want a new Ballpark in 6 years.

Great find, Dave. That was a good read, even though it was another reminder of how the politicians here in Milwaukee and Brewers management missed out on a golden opportunity to put Miller Park downtown.

QPR%20Sig.png

Don't worry, I'm sure the fountains will be there too if this gets passed.

BTW, I am for this. Spending the same amount of money on a new ballpark is better then dumping this money into Kauffman. It will benefit KC more. This will help spur development in Downtown. Truman Sports Complex is out in the burbs with nothing but a few hotels, a Denny's, and a Taco Bell. Plus it will lock the Royals into a long term lease instead of adding a few years to their current one. That way they don't pour money into Kauffman then the Royals say they want a new Ballpark in 6 years.

Kansas City has more fountains per capita than any other city in the U.S., so I'm sure they'll work them into the new park.

I too am among those who really have a genuine fondness for Kauffman - it's a beautiful park, has good sightlines from just about everywhere and is very accessible. That being said, EZ makes a very valid point that there's simply nothing else around it except for that (practically inacessible) Denny's, a Taco Bell, and a convenience store closer to Arrowhead. An urban ballpark would spur development of restaurants, some retail and possibly some residential properties. The ballpark would serve as the center of a destination district not unlike what has sprouted up in Denver. And downtown KC is ripe with potential. Yes, it's unusual for a St. Louisan to be this unabashed of a KC booster, but I have to say that a downtown KC ballpark could be the crown jewel (no pun intended) of the rebirth of KC as a major destination city in the Midwest. I hope it works out.

I like that St. Louis is taking a similar apporach. Why spend money on the old, when you can build a brand new one.

There are some folks who think Kauffman has too much history. We won the 85 Series there (Sorry Yale). For me I remember all the losses I have seen there. I think a new ballpark with a new attitude is the way to go.

Interesting tid bit....Royals Hall of Famer George Brett has said he thinks the Downtown Ballpark is the way to go. If he can live without Kauffman, can't anyone?

Archived