Outdoor NBA/NHL arena?

nsentv

Ha. All the times I've been there, I never realized that the panels could slide.

I think that arena needs to be replaced anyway, sooner the better.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I remember reading somewhere that the largest crowd ever for a Basketball game was a European championship game in Greece at Panathinaiko Stadium (the ancient stadium that was used as the end of the Marathon in the Olympics in 04).

Insert Witty Signature Here.

I was thinking about it, and part of the reason that football and baseball are so popular is because a majority of their stadiums are outdoors. Now, with hockey, I can kind of see why there wouldn't be an outdoor stadium in, say, Tampa. But, there's no reason there couldn't be a retractable roof stadium in Toronto or another northern city. The NBA, meanwhile, doesn't have the same types of restrictions in terms of temperature. Why not have, at the very least, one team play outdoors?

sounds good to me the Leafs against the habs with it lightly snowing!

untitled-6.jpg

I don't know the exact date, but there was an outdoor hockey game a few years back. I think it was just like all retired players tho, canadiens vs. oilers. Gretzky was playing and eveyone was like freezing.

As for basketball I belive it was the Tennessee women's hoops team played on a basketball court set up in the football stadium.

So Why Don't We Get Drunk And Screw

I don't know the exact date, but there was an outdoor hockey game a few years back. I think it was just like all retired players tho, canadiens vs. oilers. Gretzky was playing and eveyone was like freezing.

Can anyone confirm this? :blink:

:D

The NHL?s first outdoor game - and its accompanying ?MegaStars? game, featuring the likes of Wayne Gretzky and Guy LaFleur ? has been declared a smashing success by all concerned. Even the players, initially wary of taking to the ice at minus-3 Fahrenheit, gave their approval. "It was a great experience," Ty Conklin of the Oilers told the Edmonton Sun, and as the losing goaltender, he probably had the least fun of anyone on Saturday night.

http://proicehockey.about.com/cs/businesso...utdoor_game.htm

So Why Don't We Get Drunk And Screw

Can anyone confirm this? :blink:

:D

It preceded the Habs/Oilers game at Commonwealth Stadium in Edmonton. Jose Theodore wore a toque over his goalie mask. Good stuff.

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

Okay. The reason you can't do a HUGE OUTDOOR STADIUMZ!! for hockey and basketball is proportion. The field of play is too small for that many seats. Sure, you can get a few special events in a big venue, but who's going to fill those nosebleed seats all year?

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Archived