Saints Owner Tom Benson

no97

So the Bears played the Saints in Baton Rouge this past Sunday, and New Orleans owner Tom Benson didn't show (and neither did about 60,000 fans...). Chicago Tribune columnist Mike Downey wrote this piece about the game, and the recovery:

Mike Downey

If only Saints' owner would stand tall, stay

Published November 7, 2005

NEW ORLEANS -- "Hurry, they're going fast!" a full-page ad urged football fans, hysterically, in a New Orleans Saints souvenir program that was distributed at Sunday's game against the Bears in Baton Rouge, La. "There are still tickets available in Tiger Stadium!"

Yes, there are?60,363 of them.

That's how many of LSU's bleacher seats remained unoccupied for this NFL game, an attraction that drew?in short-sleeve weather?32,637 to a college stadium with a capacity of 93,000.

Among those not there: Tom Benson, owner of the Saints, a man who couldn't win a popularity contest in New Orleans today if he sprung for a night of free cocktails for every thirsty person over 21.

Benson wanted no part of Sunday's mob?puny as it was?because of the harassment he experienced a week earlier at LSU, where he slapped at a TV camera and exchanged loud profanities with Saints fans. He reportedly beefed to the NFL about a lack of security and said he feared for family members' safety should he go back.

"I wouldn't have shown up either," Saints wide receiver Joe Horn said. "He made the decision he felt was best for him and his family."

Baton Rouge is bad enough, but Benson can barely show his face in New Orleans too. He is persona non grata in the French Quarter, and in just about every other nook and water-logged cranny of this Gulf region for now ? and, very likely, forever.

Benson is perceived to be an evacuee of the worst kind, a wealthy one who is in a far greater hurry to abandon New Orleans than he is to rebuild it.

A reconstruction of the South following the double trouble of Hurricanes Katrina and Rita is the objective of anyone with a stake in this area's future.

Any sensible individual knows that New Orleans has far more urgent matters?years and years worth?than to salvage Saints football for emotionally wrung-out fans.

Yet even so, many find it offensive that Benson would pack up his NFL team and leave?probably for San Antonio?the very people who have helped make him the prosperous man he is.

Ray Nagin, the mayor, asks why Benson isn't instead asking: "How can I help?"

And a local sportscaster, WWL's Jim Henderson, asked bluntly on ESPN: "How much money does a man need?"

Benson bashers are a multiplying breed, including ones who came to the Saints-Bears game brandishing banners that read "Tom Benson is Chicken Little" and "Owner Needed: Must Be Fan Friendly."

Saints fans on TV said they stayed away because they did not wish to put one more dollar in Benson's pocket.

It won't help attendance that a five-game losing streak is now the Saints' longest since 1999. The crowd for Sunday's game was the third smallest since Benson gained control of the franchise 20 years ago.

For a visitor from Chicago coming here for the first time since the storms wreaked their havoc, it was heartening to stroll around the lost city of New Orleans and get a firsthand glimpse of a community making a comeback.

To see long lines and 90-minute waits for a table at K-Paul's Louisiana Kitchen. To see a major hotel up and running again, even if all of its elevators were not. To see festive crowds on a Saturday night on Bourbon Street, swinging to hot jazz.

From a distance, it had seemed ludicrous that New Orleans would be willing to sink thousands of hours of work and hundreds of millions of dollars into a Louisiana Superdome restoration so it could continue to enjoy the folly of pro football.

When you are here, however, you can hear how much it means to the people of New Orleans to cling to something, even if simply a few hours of welcome relief each week from life's daily woes. Because no matter how bad these Saints might be on the field, they were theirs ? belonged to everybody, provided them with something to cheer.

Storm victims have higher priorities. But it pains them anyway, the thought of Benson bailing out.

A domed stadium, as it turns out, is also a shelter from a storm. So perhaps building or rebuilding one is more necessity than luxury after all.

The sky did fall on these people.

It would be nice, for their sake, if Tom Benson stood by them brave and tall, rather than indeed turn out to be Chicken Little.

mikedowney@tribune.com

Discuss...

Moose

honestly, I feel that NOLA will not be able to support a team for a good span of time int the future. I understand that the locals are ticked, but Benson has been trying to move the Saints for years now, and now he has a good reason. Don't haze me for this, it's the truth, economically it is not smart for the Saints to stay in NOLA.

All these people bitching about how the Saints are "Louisiana's Team" and how the team needs to stay in-state if they can't return to New Orleans need to shut the hell up and GO to the games. They may be pissed with Tom Benson, but he's not the team, just the miserly owner.

This is sickening. All their wining, complaining, and bitching, is drowned by the silence of those empty seats. So say goodbye to your Saints, Louisiana...it's not like you did anything to keep 'em.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

Have any of you who are saying they should show up been in an area that has been devestated like this? If not, you need to experience what is like to contantly be exposed to the destuction that Katrina brought. It is one thing to see this on TV, but another to live in it. It is estimated that close to 300,00 homes where destoyed. Entire cities were bulldozed by a thirty foot wall of water. To say that people should shut up and go to the game is asinine. Yes we have other things to worry about down here.. If the team were winning and the owner didn't blast the region, then the stadium would have sold out. Check the attendance history for the team. With a pathetic product on the field, fans still sold out the Dome. Most of the people who are leaving permanantly are not the ones that went to games anyway. Ask yourself that if you just lost you house and the owner of the local sports team was threatening to move it, would you go to the game? Take a look at www.wwltv.com to see what the people down here have to experience. We put more people in Tiger Stadium for the Dolphins game than San Antonio did for either of their two games, so to critisize the region for not selling out a 2-6 team is just plain dumb. And the region will be able to support the team sooner than people think.

All these people bitching about how the Saints are "Louisiana's Team" and how the team needs to stay in-state if they can't return to New Orleans need to shut the hell up and GO to the games.  They may be pissed with Tom Benson, but he's not the team, just the miserly owner. 

This is sickening.  All their wining, complaining, and bitching, is drowned by the silence of those empty seats.  So say goodbye to your Saints, Louisiana...it's not like you did anything to keep 'em.

How dare you.

Your post is what's sickening, not to mention completely wrong and deeply offensive to anyone who has ever been a Saints fan. Generations of New Orleanians have supported a miserable, incompetent franchise since it came into the NFL in 1967. I attended my first game in 1969, and as always, Tulane Stadium was packed to capacity (81,000) to see one of the worst teams to ever masquerade as NFL caliber. Here's a little history lesson for you non-Saints fans: Five trips to the playoffs and exactly one that lasted past the first round, and even then the Saints turned a 31-7 fourth quarter lead into a 31-28 nailbiter that took the Rams' Az Hakim to fumble a punt with less than 2 minutes left to preserve the win. Blowing a 35-7 lead to lose 42-35 to the Raiders on Monday Night Football. Losing - at home - to the 0 and 26 Bucs (and 33-14 at that) to give Tampa Bay its first NFL victory. Losing 21-20 to Dallas when Ken Stabler - nursing a 20-19 Saints lead - was sacked for a safety while trying to pass from his own end zone with a minute left. Losing to the Rams on the last play of the 1983 season to blow their first winning season and lose what would have been their first trip to the playoffs. Finally making the playoffs in 1987 - partially with replacement players as that was the strike season - only to be humiliated 44-10 at home by Minnesota. Trading their entire draft for Ricky Williams, and then having him embarass the city and franchise by posing for a magazine picture dressed in a WEDDING GOWN. Playing an injured Aaron Brooks while Jake Delhomme rode the bench at the end of 2002, thus managing to miss the playoffs by losing their last 3 to the Vikings, Bengals, and Panthers. Releasing or trading away players that could form an All-Pro-Bowl team (for example, Delhomme, Marc Bulger, LaRoi Glover and Willie Roaf). Having a quarterback who fumbles more often when not even touched than when blindsided by a linebacker. Completing an amazing 75-yard pass/lateral play for a touchdown on the last play of the game vs. the Jags to pull within a point of forcing overtime and then losing by MISSING THE EXTRA POINT (watch here - choose game 15). The shades of gold in their frickin' uniforms don't even match.

The New Orleans Saints have received, and continue to receive, more support than they deserve, so take your ridiculous opinion and...well, use your imagination. :cursing:

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

Have any of you who are saying they should show up been in an area that has been devestated like this? If not, you need to experience what is like to contantly be exposed to the destuction that Katrina brought. It is one thing to see this on TV, but another to live in it. It is estimated that close to 300,00 homes where destoyed. Entire cities were bulldozed by a thirty foot wall of water. To say that people should shut up and go to the game is asinine. Yes we have other things to worry about down here.. If the team were winning and the owner didn't blast the region, then the stadium would have sold out. Check the attendance history for the team. With a pathetic product on the field, fans still sold out the Dome. Most of the people who are leaving permanantly are not the ones that went to games anyway. Ask yourself that if you just lost you house and the owner of the local sports team was threatening to move it, would you go to the game? Take a look at www.wwltv.com to see what the people down here have to experience. We put more people in Tiger Stadium for the Dolphins game than San Antonio did for either of their two games, so to critisize the region for not selling out a 2-6 team is just plain dumb. And the region will be able to support the team sooner than people think.

Well said. Thank you.

That Bears/Saints game was a laugh. It looked like a high school crowd was there, it was really sad. Tom Benson's doing all this so he can move to Los Angeles, plain and simple. It's a damn shame what's happening to this franchise.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

The New Orleans Saints have received, and continue to receive, more support than they deserve

And yet they still aren't making the kind of money their owner feels they can make (short and long term) in another market.

It's just business.

You are a loyal, passionate and knowledgeable fan, and there are doubtless many like you in the greater New Orleans area, however, there aren't enough of you willing or able to spend the money right now to support the team in the fashion in which the owner feels other markets will support it. Furthermore, it also appears that the government is unwilling or unable to make up the shortfall to provide the Saints owner with what he feels would be facilities and amenities that his contemporaries are already receiving or have commitments to receive in the foreseeable future.

Accordingly, the team is as good as gone. You have every right to be angry, but it's just business, and taking it as a personal affront is simply off-point. You're a victim of an economic situation, not the target of someone's disdain.

The New Orleans Saints have received, and continue to receive, more support than they deserve

And yet they still aren't making the kind of money their owner feels they can make (short and long term) in another market.

It's just business.

You are a loyal, passionate and knowledgeable fan, and there are doubtless many like you in the greater New Orleans area, however, there aren't enough of you willing or able to spend the money right now to support the team in the fashion in which the owner feels other markets will support it. Furthermore, it also appears that the government is unwilling or unable to make up the shortfall to provide the Saints owner with what he feels would be facilities and amenities that his contemporaries are already receiving or have commitments to receive in the foreseeable future.

Accordingly, the team is as good as gone. You have every right to be angry, but it's just business, and taking it as a personal affront is simply off-point. You're a victim of an economic situation, not the target of someone's disdain.

Thank you for an intelligent, considered reply, though I disagree that my response was off point. First, one cannot take Benson's poor-mouth propaganda at face value. Exxon could probably twist their numbers to fake a loss if they wanted to. The Saints sell out the Superdome on a regular basis, and will again. The problem is the time between now and when the dome (or another venue) can be made ready. Benson has been wanting to leave for years, and if we're going to discuss economics, he'd do well to learn the one thing any team can do to assure financial success: win, or at least put a competitive team on the field.

The poster stated that "it's not like the fans have done anything to keep them." That's pure BS and I simply illustrated the point regarding the remarkable support the franchise has received in spite of its incompetence. I live in Atlanta and there's a lesson here. The Braves can't even sell out playoff games, but the Falcons are my case in point. When I went to the Saints-Falcons game here in 2001, Saints fans literally outnumbered Falcons fans and the Falcons were booed during introductions in their own stadium. The owner was doing the same poor-mouth routine as Benson, whining for a new stadium blah blah blah.

Then Arthur Blank, co-founder of Home Depot, bought the team. He asked the players what would help them win and the most popular answer was "sell out the dome." They sold $100 SEASON tickets, filled the dome, brought in a competent coach, good players, and have put a quality product on the field (which pains me to say as I hate that *%&$* team). Now they're the darlings of Atlanta and the NFL. That's what happens when you have something the Saints have never had - a remarkable owner who is committed to success.

The fans aren't the problem. Katrina isn't the problem, just the catalyst. Benson is the problem.

Even without the state subsidies, the Saints make enough money to remain competative. Benson wanted to line his pockets more. Despite what Benson said, the team was not financially hurting in the city. Benso wanted a new toy, a new stadium. They state didn't want to pony up the cash for a new one so he threatened to leave. The Dome although a dark interior, is a great place for football. The terrace seats are some of the closest to the field in any stadium. It has over 100 suites. The NFL didn't see a problem with the Dome in 2002 for the Super Bowl. The bottom line is that the with exception of the year that Benson fired Ditka, the Saints have made money in New Orleans. If he can show that he is trying to compete, then the fans will be there in droves. Hell, even with a crappy last couple of seasons, they sold out almost every game.

Benson may be the problem, but he is the one thing that isn't changing. It will be interesting to see what develops from the meeting between Tagliabue and Schwarzeneggar. Although it has been scheduled for months, the discussion is regarding venues for NFL games in the Los Angeles area. The #2 market doesn't have to do nearly as much to convince the NFL to come back as the smaller market NO does to convince the NFL to stay. For the Saints to stay, the fans have to support the team regardless of success. Packer fans support their team regardless of record, and not everyone has ownership. If they didn't, the NFL would surely move the team. Or they would simply disenfranchise the team and award an expansion team elsewhere.

It may not be fair, but it is the way it is.

shysters_sm.jpg

"One of my concerns is shysters show up and take advantage of people's good will and generosity".

I think a big reason for the lack of fan support right now is there are a lot of people who still have not returned to New Orleans and the reasons are many ranging from the ability to get a job and the lack of basic services (groceries, trash pick up, etc.)

I don't see the Saints surviving in Louisiana for the next couple of years unless they get financial support from the league.

realclearpolitics.com

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire."

- Robert A. Heinlein

Look, I understand the region was devastated, but there are two separate issues here. The plight of the Gulf Coast region and the future of a fluffing football franchise. You can call my points asinine, call me an idiot, or say whatever you will about what I can do with my opinions, but when you get your head out of your ass you will see that these two issues should be separated.

The sad-sack owner wanted out of the area anyway. He wanted to play all the "home" games in San Antonio, but public sentiment led to a few of the games being played in Baton Rouge. People clamored up and down about how this was the "right thing to do" and how the Saints were "Louisiana's Team." And that's all fine and good, but you can't claim a team you don't even go and friggin' support. And don't give me all that plop about the past, about filling up Tulane stadium, how Mike Ditka crippled the franchise, and how Aaron Brooks is killing the franchise on the field. There were 60,000 empty seats at an NFL football game. That's not support, that's a fluffing embarrassment.

In no way am I saying that I don't care about the Gulf Coast region or the devastation the people there have to live through, my heart goes out to all of you down there, but don't stand on your moral high horse and try to berate someone that is merely pointing out fluffing reality. If you care so much about the residents of the Gulf Coast, help them out and don't bitch on message boards when someone disagrees with you about the future of a football team.

Get down off your fluffing pedestal, stop blaming Tom Benson, and support the team if you want them to stay. Frankly, I like the New Orleans Saints as a franchise and wish they would stay in the region, but look at the reality of the situation. Katrina was a national tragedy, it's going to be hard enough to rebuild the city and the infrastructure, let alone the Superdome.

Sorry if I've offended, but separate the two issues and try to take emotion out of it. And wake the hell up!

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

Heres the way I see it the Siants have loyal fans and a bad history they didnt have a winning season for their first 20 years. Bad football unwatchable football.

They have won just 1 playoff game and the city has hosted more Super Bowls then Saints have played in playoff games.

However the Superdome was decribid before Katrin and its worse now. Benson wnated a new stadium to stay before Katrinia he needs one now, but the city cannot and should not build one, its not improtant.

The city of New Orleans will take years to recover and maybe if its rebuilt and vibrant the NFL can return, but its for the best they leave.

It doies suck for their fans, but do they have enough fnas, and can they spend the money to support the team when they have to rebuild their own homes and their own lives first?

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

I've been to the games. The area will recover faster than people realize. There will be an influx of money and jobs to rebuild the area. To move the team now would be wrong. The NFL should look at the future. If Benson would not poison the market, he will make money next year and sell out the games. It would be better to wait and see what is going to happen. Give the region a chance. Sometimes making money is not always the right thing to do. Benson will not lose money by keeping the team in Louisiana for 2006.

Look, I understand the region was devastated, but there are two separate issues here.  The plight of the Gulf Coast region and the future of a fluffing football franchise.  You can call my points asinine, call me an idiot, or say whatever you will about what I can do with my opinions, but when you get your head out of your ass you will see that these two issues should be separated. 

The sad-sack owner wanted out of the area anyway.  He wanted to play all the "home" games in San Antonio, but public sentiment led to a few of the games being played in Baton Rouge.  People clamored up and down about how this was the "right thing to do" and how the Saints were "Louisiana's Team."  And that's all fine and good, but you can't claim a team you don't even go and friggin' support.  And don't give me all that plop about the past, about filling up Tulane stadium, how Mike Ditka crippled the franchise, and how Aaron Brooks is killing the franchise on the field.  There were 60,000 empty seats at an NFL football game.  That's not support, that's a fluffing embarrassment. 

In no way am I saying that I don't care about the Gulf Coast region or the devastation the people there have to live through, my heart goes out to all of you down there, but don't stand on your moral high horse and try to berate someone that is merely pointing out fluffing reality.  If you care so much about the residents of the Gulf Coast, help them out and don't bitch on message boards when someone disagrees with you about the future of a football team.

Get down off your fluffing pedestal, stop blaming Tom Benson, and support the team if you want them to stay.  Frankly, I like the New Orleans Saints as a franchise and wish they would stay in the region, but look at the reality of the situation.  Katrina was a national tragedy, it's going to be hard enough to rebuild the city and the infrastructure, let alone the Superdome. 

Sorry if I've offended, but separate the two issues and try to take emotion out of it.  And wake the hell up!

I didn't say you were asinine, nor did I call you an idiot. I simply said you're wrong, and then I explained why.

See, the players whine because they get booed. Cry me a river. Look at the history and what the fans have endured vs. any player and his relatively few years with the team. A notable exception is Joe Horn, who speaks the truth, backs up his words with actions on and off the field, and makes the catches when it counts.

Benson whines 'cause he's not making enough money. Got news for you, Tom: sports franchises are generally not considered viable profit centers, because - like my former industry, the airlines - they take in a tremendous amount of revenue but have equally enormous costs. It's an entertainment entity where money flows in and right back out. He's bitched for years and has been placated by government subsidies. If the NFL had courage, they'd make it nearly impossible to move a franchise and if the owner is unhappy, he can sell the team. I promise you Benson would get a pretty penny more than what he paid for 'em in the 80's.

And finally, you and others are up in arms over 60,000 empty seats in Baton Rouge. Well, first let's do the math. The Saints fill a 71,000 seat stadium at home, not a 90,000 seat one. So 71,000 minus the 32,000 or so who attended is more accurately 39,000 empty seats, not 60,000. Throw in a few details like...

- the worst natural disaster in U.S. history occurring 2 months ago

- the controversy over the idiot owner wanting to move the team

- the fact that Baton Rouge, while in Louisiana, is still 90 miles from New Orleans (with gas at $2.50 a gallon), and

- a horribly performing 2-6 team playing a mediocre Bears team

...and you know what? You're just going to have to excuse the "fluff" out of Saints fans for not packing Tiger Stadium.

So get YOUR head out of YOUR ass before you ask anyone else to do the same.

Due to the previous response I've gotten on this board, I hesitated to reply to this. Also I AM down here and working on recovery and am mostly too darn busy to post. But since I am in a "wait" mode for an hour at work, I decided to reply.

Gregg, conveniently not noted in Downey's column was the fact that although Tiger Stadium does hold roughly 92,000, only 79,000 tickets were sold for the Saints games. This is becuase the West Side Upper deck is still technically under construction, and while it is being used for LSU Tiger games due to demand and season ticket sales, it was not needed for an NFL game.

So his statement that there were still "60,363 tickets for sale" is incorrect.

No NFL team has a stadium capacity of 92,000. Very few have a capacity of 79,000. Average capacity is more like 65,000. For the Miami Dolphins game, attendance was over 61,000 - a respectable number considering the following:

- The fact that the area was devastated by a hurricane, and those who aren't still elsewhere are busy dealing with insurance adjusters, contractors and such;

- The complete mess (intentional or not) made of the ticket situation. Tickets did not go on sale in a timely fashion, those with season tickets were not informed of how to exchange, tickets were "lost in the mail", there were NO ticket sales outlets in the metro New Orleans area, and the game-day sales and will-call windows were a joke;

- there was very little marketing, other than a group of fans who paid, out of their own money, to run radio ads in gulf south metro areas encouraging folks to buy tickets;

- the entire "poisoning of the market" by Benson, who has stated through his own actions (trying to cancel the lease of a perfectly fine practice facility, firing his loyal CAO and ticket sales manager who had the audacity to try and convince him to play more games in La.) and through not too subtle missives delivered via the mayor of San Antonio that he wanted to move to SA permanently;

- a completely inept, SOS (Same OLD Saints) 2-5 team.

And what happens during and after that game? Another inept pitiful loss that drops the team to 2-6, an attack by Benson on a cameraman, his idiotic e-mail to Tagliabue, people finally geeting tinot the game at halftime due to the ticket situation and entry lines. For myself, who went to the first game, I had no interest in going to the 2nd game, regardless of the 'support the team' factor.

Speaking of this whole 'supporting the team' factor, after a while, when a team gets to be really pathetic, and an owner has no impetus to win but just to make money, you know what you get? The LA Clippers under Donald Sterling or the Tampa Bay Devil Rays under Vince Naimoli. I, for one, will not "support" that kind of set-up, where an owner could care less about putting an entertaining, winning product on the field for the fans, but is ONLY in it to make money for himself. Leagues are starting to see the same thing, which is why Naimoli is now gone, and quite likely why Tags is getting the League as a whole involved with the Saints scenario.

I've heard too many people on this board state all kinds of half-truths and outright falsehoods they get from talking heads on ESPN or inane sportswriters : "the owner was going to move anyway" "they weren't supporting the team" "the Superdome is decrepit, a dump".

I 've also heard them spout off with obvious high-mindedness, a statement that essentially boils down to, "You need to worry about rebuilding your area, losing your NFL/NBA team should be the least of your worries". Frankly, with everything we have on our plates down here, it shouldn't have to be one of our worries at all-- it is another thing, as a community, we'd rather not deal with. But Benson, through HIS actions in the immediate aftermath of the hurricane, is forcing us all to deal with it.

enough for now, got to get back to work....

It is what it is.

Archived