Curling Most Popular Olympic Sport?

Neon_Matrix

I have to concur with JoelFiasco on this one; I grew up with CBC on my hometown cable system, and have always kinda enjoyed watching curling. I never did it myself, but my mom used to love it, and you could even letter in it at my high school.

Seadragon, what on God's green earth in Iowa is more exciting than curling, besides making shopping trips to the Mall of America? I agree that hockey is much better, but besides the USHL, does Iowa even have any rinks?

My opinion is simply this: If you enjoy watching Baseball and/or Football, you have no right to think of Curling as a boring sport. If you're going to be close minded about an "un-American sport" (gee, I just finished doing a rant about this in a soccer thread), then take a close look at your own before you judge harshly.

You can't possibly tell me that watching one play every 45 seconds is more exciting than one stone being thrown every 30-45 seconds, and even less towards the end of a match if the teams are low on time.

Curling is the ultimate sport equivalent of the Chess match. It requires strategy, time management, perfect decision making, pinpoint accuracy, perfect execusion, and one helluva team effort.

philly.png

OMMF is right. Hello, they just built the Wells Fargo Arena in Des Moines for the Iowa Stars, so I would be careful before you make another Iowa bash, EvelethMN.

Secondly, I know all that goes into the game of curling, I just didn't think it was that popular.

Sorry...didn't even think of the Stars. My comment was more general, as I worked with some Iowans in my last job, and they said there's no high school hockey there at all. Seemed strange to me, being so far north and all...are there any outdoor (or indoor, for that matter) rinks for the average little kid to use? Sounds like it's a non-existent sport there, almost. Guess it's hard for all the Amish to skate in those robes! ^_^

Curling stinks, man. Why would anyone outside of, say, Canada wants to see people throw a giant paperweight down a sheet of a hockey rink while two people use brooms to clean said sheet.

I feel the same way about soccer. Why on earth would anyone watch a bunch of guys run up and down a field for 90 minutes kicking a ball around? To make matters worse no one seems to be able to kick the little ball past one normal sized guy into a space the size of two garage doors.

The point is that everyone has different tastes when it comes to sports and more power to them. I have no idea what is going on in Curling but like a few others here, I find myself watching and enjoying curling...whatever it is. :D

BB52Big.jpg

My opinion is simply this: If you enjoy watching Baseball and/or Football, you have no right to think of Curling as a boring sport. If you're going to be close minded about an "un-American sport" (gee, I just finished doing a rant about this in a soccer thread), then take a close look at your own before you judge harshly.

You can't possibly tell me that watching one play every 45 seconds is more exciting than one stone being thrown every 30-45 seconds, and even less towards the end of a match if the teams are low on time.

Curling is the ultimate sport equivalent of the Chess match. It requires strategy, time management, perfect decision making, pinpoint accuracy, perfect execusion, and one helluva team effort.

I'm in no way ignorant towards foreign sports. (Hockey is my favorite sport, and I love Soccer too. Rugby is also a great game.)

But curling? C'mon. How can you even compare it to football or baseball or basketball? I DESPISE basketball, but could never put curling in the same sentence as it. Oh wait, I just did...

Curling is a hobby, or an activity. It's on par with Bowling or Golf. People might think they're sports, but they're jokes in my book.

And Curling is an even bigger joke because nobody even knows what it is. Well, thanks to the Amazing Race I guess it's alittle more well known now. :P

*Don't get me wrong, I bet curling is fun to play. (Though I'll probably never know in my lifetime, unless I move north sometime later in my life. But why would I when Florida weather is so nice?) It's just.. I have a problem putting it on the same level as the other sports in the Olympics. You're right, it's like Chess. It's a hobby, not a sport.

Archived