Hi (From England!)

gloggy

I stumbled across this site while doing some research on NFL uniforms for some paintings I've been commisioned to do. You guys really take your uniforms seriously! As an artist, I take authenticity very seriously and I've found loads of resources to make sure I get colours and designs just right, it's a great site! Being from England, it might suprise you to find that I do paintings of NFL players for English fans, but there are a load of us here who really follow the game and the people I paint for are very particular in what uniforms they have their pictures done in.

So I just wanted to say hello and keep up the good work!

As you guys seem real experts, I have a question that maybe you could answer about 49ers uniforms. Around about 1988, the 49ers went from having thick white stripes on their jerseys to thinner stripes and skinnier sleeves, yet I can't find any record of this in the uniform changes. The only exception I can find is in Super Bowl XXIII, Joe Montana reverted to the thick stripes just for that game, wearing a jersey very similar to the one worn in Super Bowl XIX. Is there a reason for this (perhaps a lucky shirt?!)?

It's only a small detail I know, but something I noticed for a painting from that game that I did a while back.

please excuse me if I've posted in the wrong section!

Well it may have been just a case of last minute replacement rather than the lucky shirt idea. Since the 49ers were wearing screen printed jerseys rather than tackle twill at the time it would've been rather easy to find an old blank jersey and have it screened with the requisite numbers and nameplate if his previous jersey was ripped up or significantly damaged.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Well it may have been just a case of last minute replacement rather than the lucky shirt idea. Since the 49ers were wearing screen printed jerseys rather than tackle twill at the time it would've been rather easy to find an old blank jersey and have it screened with the requisite numbers and nameplate if his previous jersey was ripped up or significantly damaged.

That's a very possible suggestion that I hadn't considered, but the only things I can find that are still questionable are the fact that that 88/89 team's jerseys had the Times style script for the nameplates while Montana (in the Superbowl) had the pre-1985 ordinary nameplate just for that one game. The point about the jersey being damaged in some way also could be feasible - but there would have been a two week break before the Superbowl and surely even in practice the team wouldn't have worn their game jerseys. On media day Montana was wearing the ordinary skinny striped jersey that the rest of the team was wearing, which kind of made me think of the good luck charm ^_^

I was interested in the transition from think stripes/loose sleeves to skinny stripes/sleeves as it's one of the only things I can't seem to find documented.

Maybe I'm just being sentimental, but it's a nice idea don't you think :D

Nice to have another one from across the pond on here.

Thankyou, it's nice to be here and I hope I can drive you mad with more inane uniform questions in the future :D

Thanks for your ideas anyway!

On media day Montana was wearing the ordinary skinny striped jersey that the rest of the team was wearing, which kind of made me think of the good luck charm

Might be a good luck charm then, or someone stole the other uni. I remember Ohio State's basketball team having their uniforms stolen in Tampa when they arrived for the Final Four. Scoonie Penn had to wear #35 after wearing 20 all year.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

I think during pre 1994ish I would say that there were many inconsitencies in NFL uniforms. Things seemed sloppier back then and maybe i t was just a case of carelessness. The most glaring example I can remember is in SB XXIII two of the players in Cincinatti's secondary had uniforms in which one player's "2" was in the Champion block font whereas another player had a standard NFL block font "2"

NFL Block:

news_nfl_rosato1.jpg

Champion Block:

kelly_jim.jpg

I think during pre 1994ish I would say that there were many inconsitencies in NFL uniforms.  Things seemed sloppier back then and maybe i t was just a case of carelessness.  The most glaring example I can remember is in SB XXIII two of the players in Cincinatti's secondary had uniforms in which one player's "2" was in the Champion block font whereas another player had a standard NFL block font "2"

NFL Block:

news_nfl_rosato1.jpg

Champion Block:

kelly_jim.jpg

i have the 1988 bengals team picture around the house somewhere, but I remember Anthony Munoz and Boomer Esiason both had block 7's, but every other player had your champion block 7 which was more rounded. So i second your observation.

Here it is

1988_cincinnati_bengals_pla.jpg

Look at Munoz number 78 and look at the guys next to him, clearly the 7 is different. and you can see a couple examples of the mismatched 2's you were talking about.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Looks like there were a lot of inconsistencies back then. Looking back I also noticed that Ronnie Lott was wearing the old style jersey as well, so it seems that uniforms weren't quite so uniform then, more if it's the right team shirt it'll do!

Perhaps only Joe Montana knows the answer to wearing an older version of the jersey as a one off!

I'd never noticed the mix ups with the different style of numbers on the Bengals either but thinking back I clearly remember Esiason's number 7 appearing in 2 different ways. I also remember it with John Elway too, earlier in his career.

You're all so observant!! :blink:

Being from England, your probably just happy not to see advertising all over our uniforms.

If you really want to see mish-mosh uniforms, look no further than the early 1970's Miami Dolphins. They have players in both plain white jerseys AND ones with sleeve stripes in the same game. Like they got their unis at a sporting goods store down the street from the stadium or something.

Bring back the Whale!

Being from England, your probably just happy not to see advertising all over our uniforms.

If you really want to see mish-mosh uniforms, look no further than the early 1970's Miami Dolphins. They have players in both plain white jerseys AND ones with sleeve stripes in the same game. Like they got their unis at a sporting goods store down the street from the stadium or something.

Let us not forget the two different helmet decals to go with the two different jerseys...

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

Archived