Rams jersey question

Slater

Checked out that Rams' page - who wrote that stuff?

One can't help but see the 1965 white jersey and think of "The Fearsome Foursome" - the Rams' defensive line. Dick Butkus called them "The most dominate line in football history',

I highly doubt that he said that. He might have called them "The most dominant line in football history" (he also probably wouldn't have ended a quote with an apostrophe, but why nitpick?)

Then there's this gem:

The '48 uniform showcased here features some interesting changes from the 1945 uniform shown earlier. The blue shoulder yoke, which had graced Rams' jerseys in previous years, has been dropped. But most importantly, look at the helmet and you'll see the introduction of the infamous 'Rams' horns' logo - which has been a Rams' uniform staple right to the present day! (emphasis mine)

Infamous? Infamous?! Sheesh.

Somebody buy these clowns a dictionary.

The only change I can remember is going from sewn-on Varsity numbers to heat-pressed block numbers around 1975.

Didn't the yellow tackle twill numbers also have a white outline, or were those jerseys only used for photo shoots? I've seen stills from 1974 trading cards with the outline but don't remember if those were ever used on the field - of course, those photos could always have been airbrushed for the cards.

Once they changed to heat-pressed numbers there wasn't an outline on the numbers, and the only other change was to make the horn area smaller (and squeeze in the TV numbers) for linemen as the sleeves started to disappear in the 80s and 90s.

Then there's this gem:

The '48 uniform showcased here features some interesting changes from the 1945 uniform shown earlier. The blue shoulder yoke, which had graced Rams' jerseys in previous years, has been dropped. But most importantly, look at the helmet and you'll see the introduction of the infamous 'Rams' horns' logo - which has been a Rams' uniform staple right to the present day! (emphasis mine)

Infamous? Infamous?! Sheesh.

Somebody buy these clowns a dictionary.

That "infamous" line makes it sound like the horn logo is one of the most despised logos in football. Looks like someone didn't show up for comp 101 in college. That'll teach the Rams to let their interns write for the web page I guess.

BB52Big.jpg

All roads lead to Dollar General.

The only change I can remember is going from sewn-on Varsity numbers to heat-pressed block numbers around 1975.

Didn't the yellow tackle twill numbers also have a white outline, or were those jerseys only used for photo shoots? I've seen stills from 1974 trading cards with the outline but don't remember if those were ever used on the field - of course, those photos could always have been airbrushed for the cards.

Once they changed to heat-pressed numbers there wasn't an outline on the numbers, and the only other change was to make the horn area smaller (and squeeze in the TV numbers) for linemen as the sleeves started to disappear in the 80s and 90s.

I have never seen evidence of the white outlined numbers ever being used in a game. All of the game-action pictures and video I've seen has plain yellow numbers on blue jerseys. Apparently, when the jerseys were originally introduced in 1973, they did have white outlines around the numbers and those jerseys were used in preseason media photos and football card shoots. I have never seen them being used in a competitive game.

I have never seen evidence of the white outlined numbers ever being used in a game. All of the game-action pictures and video I've seen has plain yellow numbers on blue jerseys. Apparently, when the jerseys were originally introduced in 1973, they did have white outlines around the numbers and those jerseys were used in preseason media photos and football card shoots. I have never seen them being used in a competitive game.

That's what I thought also, but wasn't 100% sure.

I've only seen the outlined numbers two places - on the old trading cards, and oddly enough, also on the "Authentic" jerseys Wilson made in the mid to late 70s. I remember seeing the Rams road jersey in this "collection" and thinking "Why does it have yellow borders on the numbers when the Rams have never worn anything like that."

I have never seen evidence of the white outlined numbers ever being used in a game.  All of the game-action pictures and video I've seen has plain yellow numbers on blue jerseys.  Apparently, when the jerseys were originally introduced in 1973, they did have white outlines around the numbers and those jerseys were used in preseason media photos and football card shoots.  I have never seen them being used in a competitive game.

I agree. I had an NFL book at one time from the 1973 season, and it showed the White trim, but I don't remember seeing them ever worn in a game.

Little Known Fact: Those uniforms were actually scheduled to debut in 1972, but were put off a year, for some unknown reason. I have a scan of a 1972 NFL Style Guide that proves this. And - no White trim in those graphics.

Also - the colors changed a bit over the years...here were the colors (using the official Pantones I might add) for the earlier years of those unis:

LosAngelesRams_FRC_1994_SOL.jpg

You'll notice that the Rams had TWO different versions of the Royal Blue - one for the uniforms, and another (darker) one for the helmets.

Somewhere around the time the Rams moved to St. Louis, the Royal Blue was darkened a little, and the separate helmet color was deleted (at least "officially"...they always LOOKED darker than the jerseys). Here are the colors circa 1995 (showing the 1996 season):

SaintLouisRams_FRC_1996_SOL.jpg

Then, in 1997 all of the teams that wore Gold (Yellow-Gold) had their color darkened a little bit. Made it a little more Orange-y. Here are the colors circa 1997 (showing the 1999 season):

SaintLouisRams_FRC_1999_SOL.jpg

Archived