England coach tricked by fake "sheikh"

gosioux76

I know there's only a handful of soccer fans on these boards, but this story is just hilarious to me.

Sven-Goran Eriksson, head coach of England's soccer team, was recorded talking to an undercover tabloid reporter posing as an Arap sheikh. The "News of the World" reporter recorded Eriksson saying he would leave the England team if they won the World Cup and then coach Aston Villa in the Premiership. His contract expires in 2008.

Eriksson also made comments about England stars David Beckham, Wayne Rooney, Michael Owen, and Rio Ferdiand -- whom he called lazy.

This thing has been all over the news in England. Thought some on here might find it interesting.

link

There were already sooooo many reasons why Erikkson has to go. If he is still the manager in Germany it would be a travesty.

That said, there aren't too many viable replacements. McClaren is about to get sacked from Boro, Allardyce doesn't play the right kind of football and Curbishley's Charlton is moving their spring slide up in the calendar.

I think Sir Bobby Robson would be a great caretaker manager, if the FA is looking English.

I was reading about this on ESPNSoccernet yesterday. From a soccer fan's perspective, I think it would be a mistake to fire Eriksson so close to the World Cup; it could jeopardize some players' intentions to play in Germany.

From a journalist's perspective, though, I really don't agree with the way this reporter went about getting this story. Posing as someone you're not, secretly taping the conversations ... it all smacks of a really deceptive and dishonest writer, and it's not the kind of journalism I like to see. It's the sort of journalism that makes the public not trust reporters, which makes it really hard for us to do our jobs.

Wow, the view sure is nice from this soapbox, but I think I'll get down now. :D

I think Sir Bobby Robson would be a great caretaker manager, if the FA is looking English.

Didn't Sir Bobby just get a post with Ireland to help out their newly hired first-time coach?

I think a chance to manage England in the WC could coax him away from that.

From a journalist's perspective, though, I really don't agree with the way this reporter went about getting this story. Posing as someone you're not, secretly taping the conversations ... it all smacks of a really deceptive and dishonest writer, and it's not the kind of journalism I like to see. It's the sort of journalism that makes the public not trust reporters, which makes it really hard for us to do our jobs.

"English Journalism" has become an oxymoron. The British press has become the worst scum of the Earth. They can say or do any immoral thing they want to anyone at anytime and suffer absolutley zero consequences while embarassing people and flat-out destroying lives to sell more of their crappy tabloids.

I love the country and it's culture to death, but I hate it's press with all my being.

HansonsSig.jpg

Click here to read Third String Goalie - The Hockey Jersey of the Day Blog

Click here to see my hockey and baseball jersey collection online

?You don?t like to see 20 kids punching 20 other kids. But it?s not a disgrace, It?s hockey.? - Michael Farber

I was reading about this on ESPNSoccernet yesterday. From a soccer fan's perspective, I think it would be a mistake to fire Eriksson so close to the World Cup; it could jeopardize some players' intentions to play in Germany.

when we sacked Farina and signed Hiddink, that was considered a bad move so close to qualifiers, then we made it....if i was the journo i would have asked 'Would you throw a match(es) at the World Cup if the money at Aston Villa (the sheik is convincing Erikson he will buy) was right?' i think Erikson would say yes, i think he is all after the money obviously

PArt 2 is to come in the News of the World next week

twitter.com/thebrainofMatt

Ever since Eriksson *allegedly* tapped up Michael Owen on behalf of Real Madrid and then sat back while Steven Gerrard was illegally approached by Chelsea while they were in England camps for big tournaments I've had no respect for him.

National team managers should never meddle on club affairs or play favourites like that.

liverpool-1.png

Archived