Redskins logo ruling....

Grish

I do not know if everyone saw this but since it comes up often here is an article on the Redskins logo: (c & p)

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl....pe=lgns

Judge overturns ruling on Redskins nickname

By SAM HANANEL, Associated Press Writer

October 1, 2003

WASHINGTON (AP) -- A federal judge has overturned a ruling that canceled the Washington Redskins trademark, finding there was insufficient evidence to conclude the name is disparaging to American Indians.

U.S. District Judge Colleen Kollar-Kotelly said a 1999 decision by a panel of the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office relied on flawed or incomplete data when it found the NFL team's name so offensive it should not be given legal protection. But she also made clear that her ruling does not address the issue of whether the name ``Redskins'' actually is insulting to Indians.

The case pits one of the NFL's oldest and wealthiest franchises against seven American Indian activists, led by Suzan Shown Harjo of Washington, who claim the team's name and feather-wearing mascot disparage Indian heritage and tradition.

--------go to address for rest of the story.

"Try not to have a good time ... This is supposed to be educational."

- Charles Schulz

viks.jpg

good maybe this will shut up them god forsaken natives. good for the skins and good for the nfl.

Im not gonna touch this with a 10 foot clown pole...but its good for the NFL but like Chris Rock says would they ever call a team the Newark :censored:s...Im not trying to deny the Redskins history I just think sometimes its time to move on... like the Bullets did

****POST 200... my bi-centennial****

GDB... Brothers from other Mothers

www.pifflespodcast.com

Good comment philly97flyer.  I had never thought about the New York Jets and 9/11 before.  The whole issue is a very sensitive one.  I can understand from both sides, but my thought about it is this-how long has Washington gone by the name Redskins?  A very long time.  At the same time though, I am not a native american Indian, so I don't know how they really feel.  I guess it is a subject better left alone unless you are involved.  Good comment about the Jets though!

i understand what ur sayin GMac, but i still don't understand why you HAVE to change the name bullets just b/c its offends people who don't like violence. while your on that note, shoulld we change the name NEW YORK Jets because of 9/11?

The Bullets' name was NOT changed to the Wizards because it offended people.  The owner of the team changed it shortly after the Prime Minister of Israel, a close personal friend of his, was assasinated.  He felt that he could not own a team that was associated with that kind of violence and destruction so he changed the name.  Before you say that "he could have sold the team" keep in mind that he owned them and he was well within his rights.

That was wrong on so many levels.

"Oh Brian!!!  Where are you?!?"

Thats what I meant shiz, BIB where are you.... sigh... and for the record I never meant that bullets offended people I meant the names can be changed for reasons despite profit margins...

GDB... Brothers from other Mothers

www.pifflespodcast.com

i understand what ur sayin GMac, but i still don't understand why you HAVE to change the name bullets just b/c its offends people who don't like violence. while your on that note, shoulld we change the name NEW YORK Jets because of 9/11?

Nah, I think they should change THAT name, and that of the Giants, because they play in NEW JERSEY!

...then again, the 'Skins don't play in Washington anymore, either...

I have yet to see a team use a nickname as a means to mock anything or anyone. Team nicknames are very important, and teams are almost always using the nickname they have because it is something to be proud of, or emulates toughness, courage, and representing something that can be seen as victorious in battle. With exception to the Packers and Browns, most teams are trying to make an image that would identify with something good.

The "Bullets", reguardless of what people think they know, were probably pressured to change their name because of the "violence of weapons"...Guns specifically. I remember people talking on the news about the name change as part of a way to deter gangs and people from violence. I highly doubt anybody was ever shot because of the name of a basketball team.

Play RBI Baseball 2K9 @ http://league.rbicentral.com

• LMU locked this topic

Archived