Winter Olympic Moments

SEMOSTLfan

I was 7 and vaguely remember the big IXs that were in the opening graphics for the ABC Innsbruck Olympic coverage in 64. But what I really remember first is 68 - Peggy Fleming (who looked even better as she got older) and Jean-Claude Killy. And all in color as we got our first color TV the week before the games started.

The more things change, the more they stay the same. As your generation reminisces about their first Olympics seen in color, us young'ns may remember this as our first Olympics seen in HD.

QPR%20Sig.png

My first memory of the Olympics would have to be from 1972 and seeing the Soviets play hockey for the first time. They were so mysterious and foreign. They even did their numbers differently! They had those "7's" with the line though them on their jerseys.

My favorite memory?

Mike Eruzione, out of Boston University, the captain of this team, has just put he US ahead for the first time!

1980 Olympic Hockey.

The thing was - the game was tape delayed so I was listening live on the radio. I'd love to hear the final call that they made on the radio that day to hear what they said again.

JeffB

HansonsSig.jpg

Click here to read Third String Goalie - The Hockey Jersey of the Day Blog

Click here to see my hockey and baseball jersey collection online

?You don?t like to see 20 kids punching 20 other kids. But it?s not a disgrace, It?s hockey.? - Michael Farber

I wasn't quite 8, so I barely remember the Miracle on Ice, but I did watch it. I also remember Sarajevo in 1984, and that's when I really started to get into the Olympics.

I don't remember anything about the 1980 Summer Olympics aside from the boycott. I did watch the 84 Olympics in LA, and caught most of it since I was on summer vacation.

Since then, I've been more of a fan of the Winter Olympics than the Summer Olympics, mostly because of the bobsled and luge. Even now, I barely watchany of the Summer games, except to see some of the sports that don't get much coverage, like archery and fencing, because it's interesting to watch sports that aren't broadcast any other time.

I don't like the major networks' TV coverage of the Olympics, because it's geared towards women, and they always tape delay stuff to get the most anticipated coverage, even though you can find the results by watching the French Canadian channel (here in New England) or online. Olympic coverage is all about schmaltz and sappy "overcoming all odds" drama instead of covering the sports themselves.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

I wish i could list the miracle on ice as a personal memory of mine, unfortunately my existance was still 6 years away. however i get goosebumps when i watch the movie miracle. I think they did an excellent job of protraying the event.

Cards08.jpg

World Champions: 1926 1931 1934 1942 1944 1946 1964 1967 1982 2006

I'm not sure what my earliest would be--but favorites include the 2002 Men's & Women's Hockey Finals.

And the 4 hockey games I attended in person in 1988--(Okay Poland vs France wasn't too exciting)--but it's still the Olympics

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

Archived