WLAF Mexico City

cyandlux

I like the colors because they are really unique and I love the wordmark. The logo is pretty catchy at first but then I wonder why all the movement and chaos in the logo if it doesn't represent attributes of the animal or city...see what I mean? It makes me want to look for more.....am I missing something?

• 3 weeks later...

The gray helped.

But the wordmark is getting to me. It looks too forced to me. Connecting all the letters, either with ligatures between letters or by using very little kerning between letters makes it look sloppy. And it doesn't make me think Mexico or coyotes. Also, the "DE" and "DF" are unnecessary. You certainly don't need the "DF"; no team in Washington, DC uses the "DC" in their team name (though the Nats and Wizards allude to it elsewhere), and other teams outside our nation's capital don't list their state in their name if they use the city instead (i.e. Indians of Cleveland, OH or Cleveland, OH Indians). If you want the "de" to be in there, center it between the two words. Or just use American naming conventions, and go with "Mexico Coyotes". I'd go for another font and some reworking of the name itself (keeping coyotes, of course).

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

Looking at the previous 2 posts, I re-examined the wordmark.

It could work, but I noticed the inconsistency of it, and maybe that's what getting to me.

The letters connected without ligatures (basically, the "OYO") are interconnected because the kerning is extremely small between them. But the letters connected by ligatures - the "CO" and "ES" especially - have HUGE white spaces in the areas between the letters without the ligatures (the tops of both pairs of letters), and the ligatures themselves are longer than they have to be.

I'm still not crazy about the wordmark, but closing up some of those spaces might make me like it a bit more. Right now, my eyes are drawn to those spaces and not to the rest of the logo.

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

I have to say I like the old one much better. It was unique and it reminded me of Mexico's World Baseball Classic jerseys. The new wordmark seems so generic, like Mexico suddenly became a D2 college.

I think it was a good idea to relate the coyote to that carving, but the resemblance is not there for me, and for how many fans would it be there?

I have to say I like the old one much better. It was unique and it reminded me of Mexico's World Baseball Classic jerseys. The new wordmark seems so generic, like Mexico suddenly became a D2 college.

I think it was a good idea to relate the coyote to that carving, but the resemblance is not there for me, and for how many fans would it be there?

I like the new wordmark, but I understand your point about it looking like a lot of colleges. (D-2? Not exactly, unless UNC, Tennessee, UMass and many others are all D-2 schools now...) It's a very contemporary athletic look, even if it is being overused to near-overkill.

IMO, they didn't look all that much like Mexico's WBC uniforms. For one, those letters had the middle stripe in them (think original Toronto Blue Jays). For another, there were no ligatures; every letter stood on its own. And you could always use that split-style font for the uniform numbers to make that kind of connection. But the old font gave me more of a "Star Wars" vibe than trying to copy Mexico's WBC jerseys.

2007nleastchamps.png

I wanted the wordmark to more relate to the coyote head, hence the outlines.

The idea was to never "copy" an aztec carving of a coyote, but just to refer to it in general as a starting point, not as an ending point.

"The Mexico City Smog"

Jokes aside, your points are all valid, VitaminD. Regardless, upon first sight, the wordmark reminded me of Mexico's WBC unfiorms. Whether that goes for everyone, only everyone can say. :)

Additionally, all of the realtions I've spoken of are not meant to imply copying. I didn't think that letters "copied" Mexico's WBC font; I just recognized the apparent similarities. As for the Aztec carving, if the similarity were more obvious, I'd like it even better. However, the similarity wouldn't be evident unless I had seen the sculpture and been told to look for the similarities. Hence, I think the design may not be practically appealing to fans (Yes, I understand this is just a concept).

I'm fine with Coyotes as a name, I just think that the new wordmark is uninspired and the logo is confusing. In short, this is the biggest disappointment in what has been an otherwise outstanding series by cyandlux.

Archived