MetroStars become Red Bull New York...

Brian in Boston

*slaps thread back on-topic*

the reason most teams use completely different colors (or, in many cases, have different traditional colors for their alternate) for their 'away' jerseys are because they're less away and more 'alternate.' when Arsenal play Chelsea the Gunners still use their reds when playing away, and vice versa - they don't just change to the alternate because they're away, they only use it when there's a color clash.

granted that's not *entirely* the case in MLS, but it's how the European leagues work. it's just a slight cultural difference.

harperdc.gif

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd like to see MLS move to the "change strip" approach, instead of home and away jerseys.

You wear your team's primary jersey, unless it's too similar to the home team's. Then you change into an alt (likely have to be white?).

I think it'd be cool to see the Red Bulls in red against the Revolution in navy.

yeah, I appreciate and understand the "colors and whites" approach taken in the other American sports....but c'mon, do something to stand out a bit more. Being "americanized" clearly isn't winning any fans alone, so present a good product that has just a little touch of European style.

kinda like the American Le Mans Series' tagline - "European style, American attitude". I think that that shift in mentality is something they've been moving towards, and I think they need to continue on that path.

harperdc.gif

This isn't the first venture that Red Bull is taking into American sports. They're also starting up their own NASCAR team for next season, running the new Toyota Camry that's debuting next season also.

83redbull-lside.jpg

83redbull-nose.jpg

83redbull-rear.jpg

83redbull-racingone.jpg

Why the camry? I much rather see the Supra. Of course the GT-One owns both the Supra and the Camry. ^_^

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

actually, of those three Toyotas, only the Camry is currently made (ignoring the fact that it's the only one that'd be 'eligible' for NASCAR, whatever that means). they even switched away from Supras in the Japanese GT series.

and I prefer when Red Bull keep it dark blue:

0705redbullcarrera01.jpg

NoriHaga%20RedBullYamWM.jpg

(FWIW the Red Bull scheme is one of my favorite contemporary racing schemes, and I actually quite like their logo on the front of the Salzburg unis - I hope RBNY get a similar treatment).

harperdc.gif

• 1 month later...

Red Bull New York

redbull2.gif

Red Bull Salzburg

brand.gif

The Austrian "Erste Bank Eishockey Liga" club Red Bull Salzburg released their new logo today:

logo.gif

In my eyes very unique work of art!

Cheers

Pepito

ps. a hello to all the fellow mebers of this board. I joined in a cuple of weeks ago and I follow your discussions with big interest. I am looking forward to play a part on this amazing board.

Why the camry? I much rather see the Supra. Of course the GT-One owns both the Supra and the Camry. ^_^

Yes, but in NASCAR, the Supra isn't a similar model to the other NASCAR models (Chevy Monte Carlo, Ford Fusion, Dodge Charger)

Here's a slightly off topic. Red Bull is rumored to be in the running for an NFL E expansion team. In the event they are called Red Bull (I hope not), are there any teams in the five sports (MLS, NHL, AL, NL, NFL, AFL, CFL, NBA) that is named after a product other than Red Bull NY, the Anaheim Mighty Ducks, the San Diego Chargers and the Ak-Sar Ben Knights (I know that's the AHL and that's not a product but they were not named after the city, technically).

Archived