The most amazing shot it Basketball History?

tvfrog

Sportscenter has about one of those shots a week at least on the top 10 from a high school basketball game. I bet if he tried that 50 times hed only make that once, about the same rate as most of the players on his team.

th_island1-med.gifStanley Cups 1980,1981,1982,1983

th_dodgers1-med.gifWorld Series Titles 1955,1959,1963,1965,1981,1988

th_boys1-med.gifSuper Bowl Titles VI,XII,XXVII,XXVIII,XXXth_jet2-med.gifSuper Bowl Title III

th_ny1-med.gifth_norangers-med.gif

newyorkislanders.gif

Sportscenter has about one of those shots a week at least on the top 10 from a high school basketball game. I bet if he tried that 50 times hed only make that once, about the same rate as most of the players on his team.

Half court shots, yes. Full court shots no. I don't remember ever seeing someone from under the other basket make it on the other end. I will say though that he traveled and with the shot being the difference in the score I wonder how bad the refs felt for not calling it. I don't think I would have in the first quarter.

Sportscenter has about one of those shots a week at least on the top 10 from a high school basketball game.  I bet if he tried that 50 times hed only make that once, about the same rate as most of the players on his team.

Half court shots, yes. Full court shots no. I don't remember ever seeing someone from under the other basket make it on the other end. I will say though that he traveled and with the shot being the difference in the score I wonder how bad the refs felt for not calling it. I don't think I would have in the first quarter.

No, its a lot of full court shots. Heres one for example http://youtube.com/watch?v=1qzmFxr1rNU&sea...20court%20shots

Theres plenty more where that came from.

th_island1-med.gifStanley Cups 1980,1981,1982,1983

th_dodgers1-med.gifWorld Series Titles 1955,1959,1963,1965,1981,1988

th_boys1-med.gifSuper Bowl Titles VI,XII,XXVII,XXVIII,XXXth_jet2-med.gifSuper Bowl Title III

th_ny1-med.gifth_norangers-med.gif

newyorkislanders.gif

Sportscenter has about one of those shots a week at least on the top 10 from a high school basketball game.  I bet if he tried that 50 times hed only make that once, about the same rate as most of the players on his team.

You haven't seen much basketball then. It's rare (hence the luck factor), but I've seen it done before.

BTW-one of the top ten high school sophomores in North America? Anyone else feel vaguely dirty when you see things like that? Why are you worrying about ranking players at that age? (I say this because I'm one of those people who are disturbed to see high school games on ESPN). Of course, that's not the worst-its seeing scouts rank kids before they hit junior high. That is scary.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

BTW-one of the top ten high school sophomores in North America? Anyone else feel vaguely dirty when you see things like that? Why are you worrying about ranking players at that age? (I say this because I'm one of those people who are disturbed to see high school games on ESPN). Of course, that's not the worst-its seeing scouts rank kids before they hit junior high. That is scary.

I agree, but unforunatley thats what our society is coming to. Even little league sports are starting to get to competitive. I've stopped watching the little league world series because those kids' parents train them too hard and take the sport WAY too seriously. I don't understand why anyone today can't just have fun when they play sports. Instead everyone just wants to win and do anything to win no matter what the level. Someone told me a coach was trying to stack a team in a 5-6 year old team. Its truely becoming sad.

great shot.. almost like one i saw where the guy threw it off a defenders back on an out of bounds play, then pick it up and chuck it from full court and made it for the win.

but the most amazing shot in history is this:

whenever i dunk it, because i am pretty uncoordinated and gangly, so its amazing every time it actually goes in.

impossiblefp4.jpg

The World Basketball Championship, the Davis Cup, Ryder Cup, Iraq: Every day there's further proof that we, as a nation, are not very good at international competition.

I'm not sure what's so extra-ordinarily impressive about the shot in the first video of the thread. That basketball court doesn't look very long.

There have been hundreds of full-court/half-court shots made in history, from high school through the NBA. They aren't very common, but when they happen, the sprots programs don't let you forget about them. (And why are people so surprised by them? These are the shots that they force ordinary people to make on a regular basis to win large sums of money, and many people have made it, like David Hyde Pierce.)

The most amazing shot I saw was in person and completely unintentional. A classmate of mine in 9th grade gym glass, just for the hell of it, gave the basketball a good drop-kick and booted the ball at a steep angle vertically, it hit a girder hanging from the ceiling and went straight back off the backboard and into the basket behind him. The class was in awe. He was dumbfounded. True story.

Two shots I do vividly remember, but can't for the life of me remember who the players were:

1. WNBA Finals, I forget who versus who. Finals seconds of the game, home team is up by 1 or 2 and is about to win the Championship. Losing team gets the ball and some woman nails a desparation shot from beyond half-court at the buzzer to win the game and silences the crowd.

2. NBA Playoffs, I'm pretty certain. I think it was the Bulls, but Jordan was not involved in the play. There's like 1.1 seconds left and they get ball from under their own basket. Player passes ball like two feet to guy standing next to him who just fires it full-court and nails it. It either won the game or sent it to OT.

I also remember some player from some Minnesota school last year nailing a 3-pointer while lying on his back.

--Roger "Time?" Clemente.

champssig2.png
Follow me on Twitter if you care: @Animal_Clans.

My opinion may or may not be the same as yours. The choice is up to you.

Archived