The Story of J-Mac

isaac0503

That's... wow... that's really awesome.

It kind of hits home for me. For my three high-school years, I was manager of my JV and then Varsity basketball teams, along with a friend of mine who is also autistic. He doesn't appear to be quite as highly functioning as J-Mac, but Scott is popular and quite well-adjusted considering the everyday obstacles he has to overcome.

I'd like to say it was all roses and good times all the time, but it wasn't. It was tough, because Scott sometimes had difficulty communicating with us or understanding the social constraints, and I felt responsible for him, which really tugged me in two directions a lot of times when I'd preferred to have just been able to let loose on the bench with my buddies.

Neither Scott or I ever got into a basketball game while in high school. Sure, I practiced with the team, but at 5'6" and not naturally athletic, it was just never meant to be.

But we both got to be part of something that might never be repeated at that school again.

We were a part of a group of guys that went 82-14 over our three years. We won three consecutive league championships. We went undefeated in our JV year and won the Provincial Championship, and in our final year of varsity upset the top-ranked school to win our 2nd Provincial Championship.

I have my three ribbons and two pieces of mesh netting safely stored away, untouched, inside the same binder I used to take stats with for three years. My two medals hang on my bedpost. Our team picture proudly sits on my bookshelf. I'm sure Scott's got his stuff somewhere too. But more than that, I have some unbelieveable memories of our incredible run, and how me and Scott were able to be part of that.

Me and Scott went to a Moose game this weekend, and we talked a bit about those times. He sometimes brings it up when I see him at church. I know what it meant to him to be able to be a part of that team, and that doesn't make me feel self-righteous or proud. It humbles me, because I know he has the right perspective... that was a privilege, that was a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity... nobody owed us that opportunity, and we were both extraordinarily fortunate, like J-Mac, to be a part of something as powerfully unifying as sports.

WINnipegSigBanner.gif

Since I live in Rochester I should give y'all an update.

Greece Athena won the Class AA Sectional title and then lost to county rival Fairport in the Regional Qualifier.

The Rochester Razorsharks (ABA) have employed Jason as their team manager.

I heard somewhere that it could be a permanent and paying position.

Last week, Jason got to met President Busch who was in town for a day.

The kid has been an inspiration to so many people in THIS town and around the world. I've been fortunate enough to have officiated two Greece Athena games this year and met Jason both occasions.

staffordsigbuffda6.jpg

Owner of

Kalamazoo Tech Kobras (Nat'l College Fant. Assc. Basketball, Football, and Hockey)

2006-07 NCFAB National Champions

2006 NCFAF Midwest Conf. Champions

Rochester Patriots (Major League Hockey - AHL Fantasy League) 2005-06 Neilson Cup Champs

Detroit Black Panthers (Xtreme Hockey League) 2005-06 Yzerman Conference Champs

Sheldon Motorsports (TRAC) - #20 Guinness Chevy & #21 UPS Chevy #44 Syracuse University Chevy

Commissioner of

MLH (Major League Hockey, an AHL Fantasy League)

TRAC (Team Racing Auto Circuit, NASCAR)

I heard they are going to make a movie about it.

I think I read that the MacElwain family has recieved over 100 offers from movie companies for the rights to his story. No doubt we'll see a film about him soon.

An aside....

His story went global. My pal at the Rochester D&C told me they were recieveing calls from Japan, Spain, South America, and otehr countries asking for photos of Jason and other movie clips of him. The Jim Rome spent two full days talking about this story, The callers simple didn't want to talk about anything but Jason and autism.

staffordsigbuffda6.jpg

Owner of

Kalamazoo Tech Kobras (Nat'l College Fant. Assc. Basketball, Football, and Hockey)

Rochester Patriots (Major League Hockey - AHL Fantasy League) 2005-06 Neilson Cup Champs

Sheldon Motorsports (TRAC) - #20 Guinness Chevy & #21 UPS Chevy #44 Syracuse University Chevy

Commissioner of

• 4 weeks later...

J-Mac too appear on Oprah next week

Might want to check this out.

staffordsigbuffda6.jpg

Owner of

Commissioner of

J-Mac movie coming soon

Should be out within 3 years

Magic Johnson will help produce.

staffordsigbuffda6.jpg

Owner of

Commissioner of

Magic plans to visit J-Mac next week

The ex-Lakers' superstar could also meet Athena's student body

Scott Pitoniak

staff writer Democrat & Chronicle (ROCHESTER, NY)

(April 21, 2006) ? Since the moment he saw the footage on the news two months ago, Magic Johnson has wanted to meet Jason McElwain.

Wednesday morning, he should get his chance.

That's when the basketball legend and entertainment mogul is scheduled to fly to Rochester to meet with J-Mac at Greece Athena High School. Details are still being ironed out, but Johnson may also meet the entire student body in an assembly-like setting.

J-Mac, the student manager with autism who captivated the world by hitting 6 3-pointers in a varsity basketball game two months ago, recently reached an agreement with SONY for the movie rights to his life story.

Johnson's film production company also will be involved.

"He felt very strongly about coming here, and now that an agreement has been worked out (to produce the film) he really wants to fulfill that commitment," said Athena athletic director Randy Hutto. "It's just another neat aspect to what has been an incredible story."

Johnson's visit is expected to be brief.

"He'll probably just be in and out of Rochester," Hutto said.

"But I know he wants to meet the students, too, if we can arrange it. It's a tough time because that's when our lunch periods begin, but this is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity, so we're going to try to work out the details so it can happen."

staffordsigbuffda6.jpg

Owner of

Commissioner of

Magic Johnson visits J-Mac

jmac0nz.th.jpg

And for those who don't know what we are talking about..... Click here

It's pretty much the entire video from when he entered the game. MOstly unedited.

His missed shots are there. I found it funny when the cameraman began to focus solely on the offenseive side of the floor. He KNEW what was happening.

Jason "J-Mac" McElwain, who has autism, touched a nation when he scored 20 points in less than four minutes for Greece Athena during a Senior Night basketball game against Spencerport Feb. 15. Video by Athena student Marcus Luciano.

staffordsigbuffda6.jpg

Owner of

Commissioner of

• 2 months later...

THIS IS AWESOME!

Wednesday, July 26 - 7:05 PM Rochester RedWings vs. Charlotte

J-Mac (Jason McElwain) Bobbleheads (1st 3,000 fans) and pre-game autograph signing, presented by ESL Federal Credit Union ...

jmacbobbletw6.jpg

staffordsigbuffda6.jpg

Owner of

Commissioner of

$5 says Dustin Hoffman will be offered the title role. He may be 48905439584 years older, but he has the height.

neonmatrix_leafs2.gif

Because Korbyn Is Colour Blind, My Signature Is Now Idiot Proof - Thanks Again Braden!!

Go Leafs Go!

This made the news Down Under as well when it happened.

I love this story.

If they make a movie, I'll go see it.

Well, don't worry about that. His parents wasted zero time in cashing in on their son's illness. Within a month, they were selecting agents, interviewing different movie studios and selling t-shirts.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

There are already bids up to $100 on ebay for the J-Mac Bobbleheads. Amazing

I went to the game and got back 15 mins. ago. We went because I had nothing else to do and my dad wanted me to get some driving experience on the thruway. There were people lined up at 2:00 for these bobbleheads, we got in line at 5:55 and te gates opened at 6:00, we got bobbleheads. Why would someone waste 4 hours standing in a line for something they can get the same thing by standing in line for 5 mins? :wacko: People are weird. Also why would someone pay over $100 for a ceramic doll :blink: I know this story is amazing and inspires people but $100 :wacko:

saBS.png

Am I the only one a little bit put off by the whole J-Mac circus?

Just curious.

No, you're not.

It is a heartwarming story, but it has been blown way out of proportion (thanks, ESPN).

It's an mildly autistic kid who played basketball. While it is nice to see a kid with a disability succeed while trying to acclimate himself into an environment with non-disabled people, what really is the big deal about this? The kid had been involved with the team the whole year as team manager. The coach decides to throw him into a game that was pretty much a guaranteed win. He gets put into the game, and makes a few baskets.

The media is making him out to be some kind of hero. He's just a basketball player with a disability.

It is a feel-good story, but it's way overblown.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

I agree. I liked this whole thing a lot more when it was a youTube video, or even a side link on ESPN.com

But its gone too far.

I'm proud of him, and amazed by his 4 minutes of pretty hot shooting. But ESPN has really made this into too much.

BTW, how would you feel as the opposing team, when you were getting beaten so badly that the other team put in their autistic ballboy... and he dropped 20 on you.

Ouch.

NCFA Sunset Beach Tech - Octopi

ΓΔΒ!

Going to college gets you closer to the real world, kind of like climbing a tree gets you closer to the moon.

"...a nice illustration of what you get when skill, talent, and precedent are deducted from 'creativity.' " - James Howard Kunstler

I think the kid's parents deserve a lot of the blame as well. It didn't take them long to solicit movie offers. It's great to have lots of cash thrown in your face, but I'm not quite sure there's a movie worth watching out of all of this.

All he did was make some baskets. Really, that's it. It doesn't inspire me to do anything except, I don't know, make a sandwich.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Archived