Whats up with Vlad Guerrero's helmets?

BaltimoreFan

Does anyone know why Vlad Guerrero's batting helmets are always so dirty? Does he do something to them on purpose? I remember seeing him in Montreal with it. I thought it was just an old helmet. Then I noticed it again when he started playing in Anahiem. However it was later in the season so I thought it just got dirty by then. Well I was watching ESPN and noticed he already got the new style batting helmets,that some teams are using, dirty. Here are some pictures

In Montreal:

t1_guerrero_ap.jpg

In Anahiem:

tx_vlad_getty.jpg

In Anahiem with new batting helmet (hard to tell, but its the best I could find):

capt.ans10504110342.rangers_angels_baseball_ans105.jpg

Obviously it's a personal preference or superstition. Equipment managers clean everything from helmets to spikes, so if it's dirty, it's because he wants it that way. Biggio's is the same way. So is Orlando Cabrera's.

I don't think any of them would get away with a helmet like that if they played for the Yankees, though.

AstrosTransitionsSig.gif

It is most definately pine tar. Since he doesn't use batting gloves, Vlad gets his hands sticky by grabbing his helmet in between pitches. Pretty smart if you ask me.

VmWIn6B.png

A few years ago the Commissioner wanted to speed up games and one of the changes implemented was they no longer allow the batter to leave the box area. Hitters would often return to the on-deck area and get more pine tar so guys like Biggio and Vlad just gooped up their helmets so they have some with them at the plate.

RobbyBox2.jpg

Trot Nixon is another player whose helmet was home of a blob of pine tar. This year, he has switched to a double-flap helmet, and he says it fits his head better, giving him a clearer view of the pitcher.

If you watch a lot of the players with the messy helmets, they jostle the helmet a bit when they touch the top of it, and I'd bet that it helps keep the helmet snug. A double earflap helmet does not have this problem.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

Archived