New England Revolution Crest

cambaker

A few weeks back I remember somebody posting a project open to people's interpretations of a fully redesigned MLS if they were to European-ize the whole league. I decided I'd take on the New England Revolution and give them a more traditional English-looking crest. It's not all entirely original as I kinda sampled different elements from some existing crests. I still kinda like the way it turned out but it seems like it needs something or there needs to be an alteration to it somehow. I'm totally open to suggestions and would love some input. Anyway, the idea was to alter the name and with the spirit of Arsenal FC in mind, change the name to simply 'Revolution' FC.

One last thing, I decided to change the FC to an SC in as much as we call the sport SOCCER here in America. I really don't see a reason why not. It still has a traditional feel to it, but if we're trying to market our own brand of the sport or at least build our own distinct feel like I said, we might as well acknowledge the fact that we do in fact call it by a different name and nothing about that is changing as long as the NFL is still the largest sport in our country. What do you think?

RevolutionSC_01.jpg

i don't really see a problem w/ him using their eagle. it'd be better if he had an original one, but i don't see it as a waste of time. i've seen concepts labeled as "redesigns" or "overhauls" that added one stripe or used an old logo w/ current team colors or switched the font on the back of the jersey and people came all over their keyboard. damn, he said he sampled other logos, which i'm okay with because it's a completely original THOUGHT. if not better, it's the same as recoloring the seahawks uniforms w/ their complete current set of logos. and that's not a slight against anybody in particular. I just picked a team and threw it out there. I have nobody in mind.

now, the logo: i like it. I think I'd like to see you try and maybe morph the crest into the eagle. that might be cool. or it might look like hell. but i think it's a cool thing you did. and i could give two sh1ts about futbol non-americano.

This doesn't look at all "English" to me. It looks classically American. I mean, you've seen the back of a dollar bill, right? And the obverse of an old-fashioned quarter? So I'm not sure you're achieving your stated objective, though in general this is a terrific logo idea. It needs to be a bald eagle, though, so even if you keep the wings in a similar configuration, it would need an entirely different head. And Americans have never been big on the whole animals-sticking-their-tongues-out thing that is so popular in European heraldry. A bald eagle head with a closed beak and you'd have a truly classic crest on your hands.

20082614447.png

This is a case where I'm not sure a non-traditional name can be given a traditional crest treatment and still be effective. So many of the MLS team names (Galaxy, Revolution, Crew, etc.) are better suited to the more contemporary treatments they already have.

Galaxy's crest has lots of staying power because it's ultimately simple and pulls out the LA in Galaxy brilliantly. Revolution's crest is a nice rendition of a ragged, flying flag and didn't resort to copying the Patriots. Even the new Houston Dynamo crest has a nice shape and overall look (especially with such an Eastern European-based team name).

Real Salt Lake's crest is a big attempt for a European-style crest and it looks rather staid.

I'm not trying to pass it off as my own original eagle if that's what you're implying.  Like I said, I just kinda quickly sampled some existing logos, Manchester City's bird for instance.

Why waste our time? Make something new and come back then.

Purple monkey dishwasher.

how are you not banned yet? He is at least trying. Anyway, I like the crest but I would like to see a darker gray or silver. Plus I would find a Bald Eagle and try to fit him in there somehow instead of the Manchester Eagle

I agree with what others have said - if this had a bald eagle's head instead, it would be really nice. This would be one of the best chances for a flawless transition if the league were to go European, given the connections.

Am i the only one that's noticed the eagle's tongue isnt in its mouth, rather on the side of its head?  other than that, i like it. 

You're so absolutely correct. I didn't notice that until just now myself. Well thanks for the suggestions everybody! I think the obvious next move is to re-do the eagle or at least give it a bald head and go from there. I probably didn't make it clear enough in the opening, but initially this was just an idea for a crest I had in my head but wanted to see what it was going to look like before I went to the trouble of totally designing and rasterizing my own if the overall look was still just going to eventually look like crap. It seems though by the mostly positive response, that I should "take it to the next level" so to speak. I am still curious though if anybody thinks it's too plain or if it could use some subtle additions somewhere. Anybody have an opinion on that?

i think the text is way too small, and i also think there is no need for the gradient on the very bottom. other than that, i will just wait for the next version to crit the eagle.

Archived