Southern Maryland Blue Crabs

andrewharrington

tempest, i gotta say i was wrong on the script...the more i look at it, the more it gives a classic '50s look to me. kinda like a hand scripted poster in a restaurant advertising the special "catch of the day". dunno if that is what you were going for, but that's how i see it after looking at this more than a dozen or so different times.

i know i said it doesn't look very "tempest-y", but i guess that's our job as designers to not have everything look the same.

good job with the change to blue, that looks much better to me. good luck on getting this seen by the team, i hope my package (once i get going on it) will look as good.

Cursive goes by the wayside after 6th grade around here. Middle school and High school teacher don't require it. Ever since I was taught the architectural script, thats all I have used for everything.

Oh and I like the color scheme on the top left. It doesn't distract in the wordmarks like the red did.

As far as the Southern Maryland wordmark, have you tried the Michigan state route (where they had Michigan on top and State on the bottom, in big letters)? I think it would work for this since the Southern would be on top and Maryland would get nice big letters. You could even throw in the script for Maryland as well, to increase continuity throughtout the package.

I'd say you are now at 90% there, and right around the corner is the finish line.

kinda like a hand scripted poster in a restaurant advertising the special "catch of the day".

That's actually exactly what I thought of when I looked at it. I thought about the 'fresh catch' board at every seafood restaurant I've ever eaten at.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

I am liking the progress so far, and I really like that script. I have tried making custom scripts myself and it is a lot harder than it looks, believe me. As far as the circle logos, I also prefer the top left, but it still needs something. The crab is blue, as it needs to be, but I can't get over the lack of contrast. It is light blue laying over two other shades of blue blackground. Perhaps a yellow or white outline around it would work but I don't know - it just seems the crab doesn't pop out quite enough.

LT

i still don't think a script is the right feel for the type of logo you did for the hat, imo

See, that's where I disagree. Stylistically, I would agree with you, they script and the image are not as cohesive as they could be. The connection I'm trying to draw between them is an emotional one. A script to me is baseball, and the premise behind every script is that they are fun, classic, simple, and they say baseball to so many people. Now, I see the logo here as a fun and whimsical cartoonish icon. I mean, it's a crab holding a baseball bat. And I think the fun people see in the batting crab is echoed only by a script, and not by an edgy, modern, 'Ima kill you!' wordmark. Example: Do I think the old Orioles cartoon looked stylistically cohesive with a script? Not really. The emotion I feel when looking at both, though, is identical, which is why they worked so well together. [better than the current realistic bird and the script, in my opinon.] I look at that cartoon bird and that script and immediately think about spending a summer or fall day at a game in a brick and grass ballpark eating hotdogs and singing songs. Granted my logo is not 'cute' like that oriole, but I don't really like the stereotypical cartoon crab. It may be a direction I have to explore, though.

seb2.gif

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

well, i don't think you necessarily need to go completely away from the script - because I agree with you about the whole feel of baseball. Maybe try a less common script font, or create a custom wordmark? i think then you would be better able to merge the style of your fierce crab and the tie to baseball culture in the script. i might try to draw something out, if you wouldn't mind, just to help with some more script ideas. i think you could also have a much cooler baseball type script (like the angels or red sox like fonts) for the away script. again, i could try to put a few together to show you what i have in mind, if YOU don't mind (sorry for the wordplay :P)

OD_Signature.jpg

That's fine. I'm curious as to what your ideas are, so feel free. But for the record, this is not a font. It is a custom script drawn completely by hand.

That's fine. I'm curious as to what your ideas are, so feel free. But for the record, this is not a font. It is a custom script drawn completely by hand.

hmmm - well, i apologize about the font, but it looks extremely close to a font that I have on my computer. anyway, yeah i'll put a couple ideas together

OD_Signature.jpg

I have to say I like this alot. THe script is awesome and I thought the same exact thing when I saw it. I think it also matches with the Crab logo really well. I like the concept alot because its classy but still is not to plain. Well thought out and good job tempest.

yankees-1.png

No doubt about that. I like hand drawn better anyway, but good script fonts are quite convenient. I'm working on a cartoon crab for this, because that may be the way to go after all. We'll see.

i like the color scheme in the upper left corner the best, as well

i really like the patch logo a lot

the crab is fantastic, but might be a little TOO anatomically correct...looking forward to seeing the potential new crab

this league actually has some solid logo's - the one thing that jumps out at me about this logo is that it is very different from the others currently in the league (which are more "cartoonish" for lack of a better word)...that could be a good thing or it could have no bearing on the deicision to use the logo by the team - either way, good luck

jldesigns404eo.png

Archived