Whalers Fantasy Alternate

spyboy1

I settled on Rod Brind'Amour, who fulfilled the odd/long name criterion and then went three better: captain's "C", apostrophe/punctuation in last name

I like the way you think.

I'm working on two other jerseys. One will get a name with a first initial and the other will have an umlaut (the two dots over a letter).

A Selänne Finland or Kölzig Germany - perhaps both!

At least in German it's an umlaut. What do they call that in Finland. Umlautalainen?

HansonsSig.jpg

Click here to read Third String Goalie - The Hockey Jersey of the Day Blog

Click here to see my hockey and baseball jersey collection online

?You don?t like to see 20 kids punching 20 other kids. But it?s not a disgrace, It?s hockey.? - Michael Farber

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You know, every time a Whalers thread comes up on here, it seems to bring about more passion and joy than just about anything else. When are we all finally gonna get together and pool our resources to move the Panthers to Hartford?

Come on... you know you wanna.

they were always my second favorite team as a little kid.

before i ever even got to watch many out-of-market games, 1/2 of my hockey world was based on nhl94 and 95... and the whalers were like my dallas stars eastern conference green cousins :)

i'd like to see the jets or nordiques come back... but the whalers are definately the team i miss the most.

i guess i'm not the only one.

that team just had so much character.

I love it! The recent crest looks awesome on green.

I have that crest, and was going to hunt down a white blank. That link will come in handy.

How much did you pay for just the blank jersey?

This is part of the beauty of the way my mind works. Once I pay for a jersey, I seldom remember what it cost me. It's part of living in denial of how much I have spent and allows me to keep buying more!

The straight answer is somewhere around $40 + another $10 for shipping.

HansonsSig.jpg

Click here to read Third String Goalie - The Hockey Jersey of the Day Blog

Click here to see my hockey and baseball jersey collection online

?You don?t like to see 20 kids punching 20 other kids. But it?s not a disgrace, It?s hockey.? - Michael Farber

At least in German it's an umlaut. What do they call that in Finland. Umlautalainen?

Umlautalainen is what I am going to call it from now on - that's just good stuff.

In truth, the Finns don't have a word for the two dots over certain vowels (yet in Slovakian, which my wife's grandfather speaks, "ä" is called "a with 2 dots"). To them, the dots make the entire letter completely different from the same-shaped letter without the dots. Their correlating example is how the little bar differentiates an "O" from a "Q"; to put it another way, those dots are part of the letter the same way we put a single dot over lowercase "i" and "j".

"Umalautinen" would be the closest "best-guess" for the Finnish word for "umlauts", assuming they took the loanword directly from German and adhered to Finnish spelling laws.

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

Where can I see the Senators barberpole jersey?

Sens Barberpole

Right here, my man. I found it by typing in barberpole into the search option.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Dr. Kelso: My son is a big baseball fan. Not so much playing it, but more the designing and sewing of uniforms.

Tyler: That's neat.

Dr. Kelso: No, it's not.

Holy crap, Batman! That fantasy Hartford Whalers jersey kicks some serious ass! :jawdrop:

I'm normally not one at all in favor of shoulder (secondary) logos on hockey jerseys, but I do like the concept with that one on your jersey, Spyboy1.

The crest on that green jersey is so perfect. The jersey itself with the 1992-1997 Whalers logo, the striping and colors is friggin' awesome. The collar tiestring is just fine as a part of the jersey as seen in your photo.

I strongly suggest that if the Hartford Whalers return one day (since the state of Connecticut owns the trademark rights to the name and logo), please by all means send in your suggestion for this to become their alternate jersey. It is an absolute must!

Why not trash the other dumb ideas for names on the back and go with Bobby Hull. I think he wore 16 for those 9 games. 9 games - but 7 points!

Spoiler

New York Rangers. Stanley Cup Champions - 1928, 1933, 1940, 1994. Saskatchewan. Cold. 1905-2022.

Archived