Whalers Fantasy Alternate

spyboy1

Peter Sidorkiewicz over Ron Francis? I don't think so!  :hockeysmiley:

The nice thing about Icejereys.com is that they will sell you just one. Many websites that sell blank jerseys as part of their custom team orders have minimums of 5 if not 10 jerseys.

Under Step One - jersey selection go nearly all the way down to "other teams" and pick Whalers and click search. The next menu will show you the green, blue or white Whalers style options. After that I just turned down all the options for logo, numbers and socks, paid for it. The next step was to do a search on ebay for "Whalers (patch,crest)".

I really do plan on using the original Whalers font. That Hurricanes idea only occured to me last night after seeing the Whalers jersey in the crowd in Carolina and being so used to seeing #10 in the Canes font.

I actually already have Dineen #11 green Whalers jersey (with the NHL 75th Anniversary patch) in my collection. As for Pat the Rat, he was on the original "short list". One of my favorite all-time quotes was about Verbeek. "He's an angry little ball of hate."  :hockeysmiley:

Thanks for the comments and suggestions. I'll be sure to post photos of the finished product when it's done.

JeffB

You see, going with the Polish Phenom adds exponentially to your hockey geek score. I have an old school Senators white jersey, and I've debated who to put on the back. Among the obscure names I've pondered: Peter Sidorkiewicz, Pavel Demitra, Nelson Emerson, Sylvain Turgeon, Sergei Zholtok. Will I follow through? Nah. But it's the thought that counts. :)

i've also been tempted to put an obscure player's name on a jersey; when i got my 80's winnipeg jets home jersey i was seriously considering putting hannu jarvenpaa's name on the back.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think there was a Parker and Cullen involved in that deal as well...

Yep...Zalapsky for the Stanley Cup is accurate.

Spoiler

New York Rangers. Stanley Cup Champions - 1928, 1933, 1940, 1994. Saskatchewan. Cold. 1905-2022.

BTW, for those interested, the blank jersey Spyboy is using to create his Whalers masterpiece is currently in use as the 3rd jersey of the OHL's Plymouth Whalers.

Plymouth Whalers 3rd

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

heh, I'd put Brendan Shanahan on there...

*runs*

aw come on, I was kidding! :hockeysmiley: I'm with the Francis crowd, can't really think of anybody else I'd do. as I must be contrary in some way, go with the Canes font, it just looks right.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

heh, I'd put Brendan Shanahan on there...

Chris Pronger!

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

My nick casts my vote for me. But if you REALLY want to go with obscure, I offer the following:

Sheehy

Google Image Search can't turn up any pictures of Sheehy, but he did wear the number (last in the league to wear the single bagel) in the 1980s. The NHL has since banned it, along with Marty Biron's rookie number, 00.

"the little ball of hate" moniker was a full-time nickname by the time he got to dallas...

you know beeker lost his thumb in a farming accident shortly after becoming a rookie... so that's my favorite verbeek quote... "they say that opposable thumbs are what seperate us from the wild animals... i guess that explains pat verbeek"

Kris Draper was drafted by Winnipeg, played parts of three seasons for the Jets, and was traded to Detroit, where he has developed into one of the best defensive forwards in hockey. If memory serves, Jets management figured they only had room for one of two promising young centres, decided to keep Stu Barnes, and let Detroit have Draper for a song.

Draper has no association with either the Whalers or 'Canes.

Kris Draper was drafted by Winnipeg, played parts of three seasons for the Jets, and was traded to Detroit, where he has developed into one of the best defensive forwards in hockey. If memory serves, Jets management figured they only had room for one of two promising young centres, decided to keep Stu Barnes, and let Detroit have Draper for a song.

Hes also on the recieving end of the greatest hit ever, put on by Claude Lemieux... I still love that hit.... and I hate Kris Draper

spacer.png

Hes also on the recieving end of the greatest hit ever, put on by Claude Lemieux... I still love that hit.... and I hate Kris Draper

Better than Dale Hunter's "hit" on Pierre Turgeon? How about the time when Hamilton's Alexander Perezhogin gave Garrett Stafford that two-handed slash to the face? Fore!!! Or wasn't there enough blood spilled on those occasions to satisfy you? AH! Clint Malarchuk getting his throat slashed! That ought to tickle your fancy, you bloodthirsty fiend.

The term you want to use to describe Lemieux's assault on Draper isn't "hit", but "whack". They might be interchangeable on the Sopranos, but not in hockey. The league doesn't suspend and fine players, as it did with Lemieux after that incident, for exemplary play. I doubt you'll find very many hockey aficionados who'll describe Lemieux's action as a legal, let alone great, hit.

To celebrate someone's severe facial injury, as you have, displays not only disrespect for the rules and traditions of the game, but contempt for the players and their safety. It's akin to cheering for kids who huck rocks off overpasses at unsuspecting motorists below.

Greatest hit ever? Try greatest cheap shot by a gutless little puke that didn't have the cajones to face someone up mano a mano (and when he was challenged by Darren McCarty, Lemieux did the only thing he could...he turtled like the little sackless wonder he is)...

You wanna know how much fun it is to get hit like Draper? It's not...seeing some creep did that to me when I was playing roller...thankfully, I was wearing a full cage at the time, otherwise it would have been MUCH worse....didn't complete the game (refs wouldn't allow me to continue after that, and wisely so b/c I had a wicked headache for about 3 days afterwords)...

But I did get my payback on the guy the next time we played...right off the opening faceoff, I didn't even bother to take off my glove and I punched him in the face (he wasn't wearing a full cage, just a visor)...Needless to say, it took 3 guys to pull me off of that sack of crap after I beat him like a drum....it's the only time I ever got into a fight when I was playing.

Now, if you wanna talk "greatest hit"...try watching a highlight reel of Scott Stevens (vs. Slava Kozlov, Shane Willis, Ron Francis, & Eric Lindros). THAT's how you hit someone...bone crushing, very much legal (seeing Stevens always led with his shoulder), and not from behind....

FANTASY TEAMS

Housatonic U. Dragons (NCFA Basketball): 16-6 (8-4 Conf.)--National Runner-Up

Jersey State U. (NCFA Football): Inaugural Year - 2006

Motor City Silverhawks (WArFL): 9-4 (3rd--National Conf.)

Lehigh Valley Ironmen (WAmFL): Inaugural Season--2006

New England Marauders RFC (RLI): 6-0-7 (6th place)

Detroit Spirit (AA): 3-6 (T-4th--Patriot League)

Brooklyn Atlantics (IBF): 10-5 (1st--Appalachian Conf.)

Boston Mariners RFU (WRU): Coming Soon!

New York Americans (SHL): Inaugural Season - 2006-07

I don't know how many of you remember my Ottawa Senators Barberpole Alternate jersey, but here is the second one that I am working on.

image removed, see original post

This is the same color set as the jerseys they wore starting in 1992-93 when they added sliver to the mix. The home were white and the roads were now changed to blue for the first time.

This is a green jersey with silver trim, a combination the Whalers never wore, and also has the lace up collar, something they never had, even back in the WHA.

I got the blank jersey from icejerseys.com, thanks to a tip from OMMF from here on the board.

Buying the main crest off of ebay was easy. I just needed to wait for the right color combination to come up.

I had made Pucky the Whale patches myself (t-shirt transfer printed on twill material) when to my great surprize, a pair of road jersey Pucky's came up for auction on ebay, possibly recycled from an old jersey, as they are a bit less than mint and come in both left and right versions so that when sewn on, both sides face forwards. I had only seen the home jersey green Pucky's prior to that.

I've pretty much decided to go with FRANCIS #10 with the captian's "C" on it.

I've got a few other options I've yet to decide on. My first thought was to use the same font as Hartford did back then with white numbers with blue trim and a silver outline, like this (only in the correct font)

Last night after seeing a Whalers jersey being worn in Carolina, I did get a new idea, that of using the more modern Hurricanes font on the Whalers jersey, which would look like this;

I'm so used to seeing "FRANCIS 10" in that font, it just looks right because it's so familiar.

I could also add the Stanley Cup Centennial patch, worn by the Whalers the year they changed to the color set with the silver added or the Whalers 10th Anniversary patch, which was worn back in the days of the green jerseys and Pucky the Whale.

If it were an official jersey and I would to stick to the right font with the right name and the correct patches for a given year and jersey style, but I feel I have a little leeway for some fun with this one. One discrepancy is that Ron Francis was on the Penguins in 92-93 when the Stanley Cup 100 patch was worn and the Whalers already had a green jersey when the 10th Anniversary patch was worn in 81-82, but at least Francis was there at the time. Actually, Francis was a Penguin by the time the silver was added to the jerseys in 92-93.

Heck, I could go totally nuts if the Hurricanes win the cup and put someone current like Stillman, Staal or Ward on it with the Hurricanes font and the 2006 Stanley Cup Finals patch and make it a Hurricanes Turn Back the Clock jersey.

I'm open to any feedback on what you think of using the correct Hartford 92-93 font or the Carolina font or any other player suggestions, but with so few retired numbers to pick from, Ron Francis is going to be hard to beat. The jersey just seems too modern for Gordie Howe.

JeffB

I am jealous.

Honestly, sincerely, jealous.

Personally, I'd go for Wesley #2, the Last True Whaler (Toronto visit notwithstanding).

And if the 'Canes do win the Cup, you can add the patch to it.

EDIT: Speaking of Whalers jerseys, did you guys see this spiffy one in the jerseys gallery?

wales.jpg

That slant suddenly makes it an "N" instead of an "H". Nova Scotia Whalers, anyone? ;)

Super Wario Comix!

Iron Crossover IX Contender (Tied for 6th)

Iron Crossover Halloween Contender (Tied for Bronze)

vanhalengo.png

You see, going with the Polish Phenom adds exponentially to your hockey geek score. I have an old school Senators white jersey, and I've debated who to put on the back. Among the obscure names I've pondered: Peter Sidorkiewicz, Pavel Demitra, Nelson Emerson, Sylvain Turgeon, Sergei Zholtok. Will I follow through? Nah. But it's the thought that counts. :)

Curtis Leschyschyn would be my candidate for a Sens sweater (with Mike Krushylniski in the mix somewhere). Hell, he was an early leader for my 'Canes customized roadie before I settled on Rod Brind'Amour, who fulfilled the odd/long name criterion and then went three better: captain's "C", apostrophe/punctuation in last name (which earned Bruno St. Jacques special consideration), and the ex-Flyer connection.

But for a Sens sweater with total preschyschyn, do it up right, with Curtis Leschyschyn.

(Preemptive :rolleyes:, because I earned it with that groaner of a closing.)

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

But for a Sens sweater with total preschyschyn, do it up right, with Curtis Leschyschyn.

(Preemptive :rolleyes:, because I earned it with that groaner of a closing.)

Failure.

^_^

(Preemptive  :rolleyes:, because I earned it with that groaner of a closing.)

Failure.

^_^

I beg your pardon, sir!

I don't believe that it's your place to make that kind of deschyschyn here about how wickedly awful my pun was. I rhymed with far too much preschyschyn to allow myself to be denigrated by the inschyschyn of comments from 3rd parties!

(Back atcha, my fellow grammar Nazi! B) )

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

You know, every time a Whalers thread comes up on here, it seems to bring about more passion and joy than just about anything else. When are we all finally gonna get together and pool our resources to move the Panthers to Hartford?

Come on... you know you wanna.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Archived