Redesigning the monmouth fighting scots logo

omnivore

<font color='#000000'>So, here's the story.

My college originally used this as their athletic mascot/logo.

A few years ago, one of the old Presidents of the college decided it wasn't gender neutral or representative of all the varsity athletic teams and so, they unveiled this this logowhich they have on the football helmets.

After building a new athletic facility for $22 million (at a D3 school, no less) they decided to rush through a new logo because they wanted to put it on the floor and some local firm designed this simple thing.

Students are incensed, because they think some graphic logo would be better. I saw a design once for a Scottish Terrier type dog which would go better than the sword wielding fighter.

Anyway, the independent newspaper wants to put out an expose of the design process, how no students - only some coaches, trustees and VPs - were consulted and want to unveil a few logos that would be possible alternatives.

It is likely they'll change it? Once they see newer designs - yes. The Student government would also be a possible motivator on this one - but there needs to be something worth replacing.

So, logically I came here. If anyone is interested, the school colors are red and white. The "official" school red is Pantone 201, but if you're printing on coated stock, Pantone 193 can be substituted.

I can't help but think that anyone here could design something light years better than what that firm came up with. Obviously, they wouldn't then be allowed to co-opt your design, but instead use student pressure to adopt a different one.

thanks,

dc</font>

NCFA-FCS/CBB: Minnesota A&M | RANZBA (OOTP): Auckland Warriors | USA: Front Range United | IFA: Toverit Helsinki | FOBL: Kentucky Juggernaut

Minnesota A&M 2012 National Champions 2013 National Finalist, 2014 National Semi-finals 2012, 2013, 2014 Big 4 Conference Champions

our boy shiznit's been working on a chicago state logo that's infinitely better than ChiState's actual logo...i figure someone could come up with something.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

It's nice and simple, but the M reminds me too much of Maryland....same font and almost same color.

I agree, but it's the font that they have on the new wordmark. After dropping a decent amount of money on those wordmarks, they probably wouldn't want to throw them away after a season, even though they do suck.

If I've got any shot I'm sure that it needs to match the style.

I'd say make the ribbon a plaid pattern. That way it will scream Scots at the viewers.

I had thought of that, but it was bairly legible at that size, and anything smaller than that was totaly lost. It just was too intricate for a logo.

How about making the ribbon a bit bigger and doing either the plaid or putting the words Fighting Scots on the ribbon. That may look cool.

edit add-on:

Also, in the first post there is a different M that they use on their football helmet.  Try that one to get away from the Terps feel.

In war there is no prize for runner-up. -- Omar N. Bradley

How about making the ribbon a bit bigger and doing either the plaid or putting the words Fighting Scots on the ribbon. That may look cool.

edit add-on:

Also, in the first post there is a different M that they use on their football helmet. Try that one to get away from the Terps feel.

I'm not a fan of the arched-M logo at all. Plus, I don't think my overall concept would work very well with that M. It's too vertical.

In terms of the streamer thing, I'm trying to echo the Braveheart sword image. I think making it large enough to contain words or represent plaid would take away from that look. Also, with the rendering already being so involved on the sword, the less stuff I put in there, the less cluttered it'll look.

Thanks for the comments and suggestions, guys.

Avenger:

It's awesome. I showed it to a few students and they were thrilled about it. Of course, I know you'll do even better work, but I think that concept has a lot of potential. It looks more professional than what we have now, that's for darn sure.

The streamer is a really nice touch. I won't go posting anything yet though. I think its a great idea though that you're matching this logo with the wordmark that bites is a really good idea.

A great start.

NCFA-FCS/CBB: Minnesota A&M | RANZBA (OOTP): Auckland Warriors | USA: Front Range United | IFA: Toverit Helsinki | FOBL: Kentucky Juggernaut

Minnesota A&M 2012 National Champions 2013 National Finalist, 2014 National Semi-finals 2012, 2013, 2014 Big 4 Conference Champions

Also, if any of you want to be quoted in the feature I do on the logo - that is, the sucky wordmark they paid money for - about why its bad or whatever, feel free to send me a note via email or just post away here.

While students are fairly sure the wordmark sucks, I bet that the school would use the institutional mouthpiece (aka, the student newspaper) to talk about how its wonderful and great and how a "respected" Peoria design firm made it.

It'll run sometime in the next three weeks, I haven't decided yet. But the idea is to put it on the radar, to raise the blood pressure of students. It was brought up last month and the issue died for a second, but it'd be nice to bring it up again and we can do that before the break.

I'll quote you as "graphic design expert" :) if you're in the story.

Not neccesarily saying this for you to quote me, but this is my opinion on the matter.

The name "Fighting Scots" has such potential for a logo, and a wordmark and an "M" certainly don't fulfill that. The College of Wooster has the same problem. They have a rarely used Scotsman logo similar to the one Monmouth used to have. For the most part they use a simple, cursive "Scots" logo. The name is chocked full of imagery and having no actual logo hurts the identity immensely. If the school doesn't want to have an actual Scotsman in the logo to avoid race/gender neutrality issues, they should use Scot imagery like in Avenger's logo. Awesome job. Though I would write either "Fighting Scots", "Scots", or have some plaid so people don't look at it and think something like Crusaders. I recommend creating a full package with this idea. add a logo with the sword/M logo, but add "onmouth" after the M to create a primary. The one with just the sword and M is a great secondary. You might also try to create something like silhoutte of a scotsman in a kilt with a sword in his right hand thrust into the air. Just throwing ideas out there. great work.

Here's the release  on the new logo, that might help in the development process.

Archived