Match-up of Two 325 Game Winners

no97

So, after checking my Tank Stumper guess, it occured to me that Wednesday's pitching match-up in the Cubs/Astros game at Wrigley Field is of pretty significant historical importiance. Think of it this way - the last time there were two active 325 game winners in MLB was 1927. Walter Johnson for the Senators in the AL, and Grover Cleveland (Pete) Alexander, at the time with the Cardinals in the NL. Obviously, they didn't pitch against each other being in different leagues.

This got me to looking back at the other guys who have 325 or more wins (we all know how rare 300 game winners matching-up is). Well, you have to go back to the old NL only history to find a time when you find Pud Galvin (Pirates and Browns) and Tim Keefe (Phillies) with 325+ wins each active in 1892. Obviously, they were likely to have faced each other.

Why do I bring this up? Look at the Wednesday probables... The last match-up of 325+ game winners in MLB history came in 1892. The game is on WGN-TV, and something that hasn't happened in 114 years is going to happen... Sounds like must-see-TV to me.

Moose

Steve Carlton and Don Sutton faced each other in '87. I know they were 300-game winners at the time. Had they eclipsed the 325 mark?

cv2TCLZ.png

"I secretly hope people like that hydroplane into a wall." - Dennis "Big Sexy" Ittner

POTD - 7/3/14

Curses!

BTW, Clemens and Maddux faced each other last year. I know they weren't 325 then, but it's only the fourth time in 114 years it's happened. A monumentous occasion indeed.

cv2TCLZ.png

"I secretly hope people like that hydroplane into a wall." - Dennis "Big Sexy" Ittner

POTD - 7/3/14

I detest the Cubs, and I have no positive feelings toward Roger Clemens either, but if this is the matchup, I will watch every pitch of this game. This is history in the making and something we may not see again (since Maddux is going to be traded...lol).

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

I detest the Cubs, and I have no positive feelings toward Roger Clemens either, but if this is the matchup, I will watch every pitch of this game. This is history in the making and something we may not see again (since Maddux is going to be traded...lol).

Yes. This is one game I hope they show on TV. If they don't televise this nationally, I will flip.

I detest the Cubs, and I have no positive feelings toward Roger Clemens either, but if this is the matchup, I will watch every pitch of this game.  This is history in the making and something we may not see again (since Maddux is going to be traded...lol).

Yes. This is one game I hope they show on TV. If they don't televise this nationally, I will flip.

It was mentioned in the first post that it will be on WGN.

Put Your Hands up For Detroit (our lovely city)

Maddux might be traded within the division to the Brewers, and they still play 10 games with Houston this year.

Save the slugalo.

I detest the Cubs, and I have no positive feelings toward Roger Clemens either, but if this is the matchup, I will watch every pitch of this game.  This is history in the making and something we may not see again (since Maddux is going to be traded...lol).

Not all WGN games are on the superstation. About half of them are, actually.

Fortunately, this one is...

http://tv.tribune.com/whatson/sports/0,117...able-18,00.html

(And the Cubs certainly could trade Maddux to the Brewers. His brother, Mike, is the pitching coach and the Brewers' farm system has some pitching. It's a good fit.)

What the hell are you talking about? Every game listed on this Cubs schedule as a WGN broadcast has been available to me (note I live in northern Minnesota, and get the Superstation...). Now, if you ment that only half of all Cubs games were on WGN, then I see your point...

Moose

ot all WGN games are on the superstation. About half of them are, actually.

What do you mean? What is the Superstation exactly, because I get WGN 9 on DirecTV.

The "Superstation" refers to the programming that is put on DirecTV and other Cable TV stations outside the Chicago market. For example, in Chicago, WGN is a WB affiliate (soon to be CW affiliate), but outside, Superstation programming is movies each night, and Magnum PI...

Moose

Fortunately, this one is...

http://tv.tribune.com/whatson/sports/0,117...able-18,00.html

(And the Cubs certainly could trade Maddux to the Brewers. His brother, Mike, is the pitching coach and the Brewers' farm system has some pitching. It's a good fit.)

Note to Brewers management: If your team ERA is just under 5, maybe Mike Maddux isn't the answer.

cv2TCLZ.png

POTD - 7/3/14

Archived